Post-Game Talk: Leaf fans dominate Staples Center, Leafs win 3-2. OPTIMUS REIM with a huge WIN!

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I have no problem with getting outshot depending on the scenario. It's all about context. Normally teams get outshot when they are holding a lead, and a lot of the time we're doing just that. We were outshooting Anaheim until 3-0 and then went in a defensive shell so they outshot us. If you looked at the box score you'd think "oh Leafs got outshot again, lucky to win" but we were in control for the entire game and getting outshot was a result of them pressing. If we're getting outshot in situations like that then it's really not bad but at the same time we shouldn't be going into a defensive shell as we have learned many times.

Anyway great win, nice to get some secondary scoring from the D which we weren't getting earlier in the season. They have really come around offensively. 4/6 points on our toughest road trip of the season is great.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have no problem with getting outshot depending on the scenario. It's all about context. Normally teams get outshot when they are holding a lead, and a lot of the time we're doing just that. We were outshooting Anaheim until 3-0 and then went in a defensive shell so they outshot us. If you looked at the box score you'd think "oh Leafs got outshot again, lucky to win" but we were in control for the entire game and getting outshot was a result of them pressing. If we're getting outshot in situations like that then it's really not bad but at the same time we shouldn't be going into a defensive shell as we have learned many times.

Anyway great win, nice to get some secondary scoring from the D which we weren't getting earlier in the season. They have really come around offensively. 4/6 points on our toughest road trip of the season is great.

Kings had probably easily 10 shots, if not more, from when their forwards would enter our zone and just shoot it at Reimer. A shot is a shot but those are pretty easy saves for anyone.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kopitar:
"I don't know how they execute their system, but it seemed like they were skating and playing a tight-checking game. But it was just a case of our game tonight not getting it done."

lol, soon people are just going to go and come in and say "I...it's just.... we were Leafed man."

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
I was at the game last night and noticed that our D-men back in too far when the opponent is on the rush. They need to stand them up/initiate contact near the blue line more. Too many dangerous opponent shots from the circles in on the rush.

Another thing I notice (not last night though) is that when an opposing forward takes it to the outside, our D-men frequently make the pivot too late and get beaten wide.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hey guys, we made 16th in the NHL.com power rankings! We're so lucky to have the 47th best player in the NHL.

We didn't make it on the NHL power rankings :biglaugh:

15 wins in 22 games, only 4 regulation losses.

If only the Leafs kept shooting the puck at the goalies chest...we might be top 10.

Damn you Leafs...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
We didn't make it on the NHL power rankings :biglaugh:

15 wins in 22 games, only 4 regulation losses.

If only the Leafs kept shooting the puck at the goalies chest...we might be top 10.

Damn you Leafs...

absolute joke :laugh:, The devils arent even in the playoffs, MTL just lost 3 in a row and we just won 2/3 against powerhouse teams. Plus Tampa is below us and Bishop is cooling off, why wouldnt be be at least 12-13th?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
absolute joke :laugh:, The devils arent even in the playoffs, MTL just lost 3 in a row and we just won 2/3 against powerhouse teams. Plus Tampa is below us and Bishop is cooling off, why wouldnt be be at least 12-13th?

It IS a joke. We should be 9th, just ahead of the Rangers, on that "list".

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I was at the game last night and noticed that our D-men back in too far when the opponent is on the rush. They need to stand them up/initiate contact near the blue line more. Too many dangerous opponent shots from the circles in on the rush.

Another thing I notice (not last night though) is that when an opposing forward takes it to the outside, our D-men frequently make the pivot too late and get beaten wide.

The D-men were pushing up during a large stretch at the end of the 1st and during most of the 2nd periods.

Once we got the lead, they disengaged completely from stepping up on the blueline. Seems like a coaches decision.

I agree that it's stupid. We end up stuck in our zone for the rest of the game.

The team is actually pretty good when they're pushing the pace and engaging their defense in the offensive zone.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Hey guys, we made 16th in the NHL.com power rankings! We're so lucky to have the 47th best player in the NHL.

17th on TSN.ca. We were 20th last week on that site.

I don't put any weight in these "power rankings," but good lord man, how do you put the team with the 10th best point/winning %, near the bottom 10 of the league? :laugh:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

When they were shutting LA down, I thought they were manning the blue line well but generally speaking, they don't do that enough. They are weak down low and yet they far too often allow skaters to gain entry and it ends up in a battle along the boards and behind the net and that is where they struggle to get the puck out.

Standing up the guy at the blue line seems like such a simple and effective way but the fact that they don't do it often enough makes me wonder if it's truly too simple to actually work well often.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know people will go "why does it matter, re_________" blah blah blah. but to me it's insulting. Button said it best on the radio (actually, I have to say, one of Toronto's biggest cheerleaders is Button. He'll carve them up when necessary, but he's the first to say, they never get any credit).

But - what more does Toronto actually have to do, to get credit?
Yes, they are horrendous defensively at times.
Yes, they've blown 22 leads in the third [but is it really a blown lead if you win the game?]
Yes, they let a butt load of shots (but! we didn't let 60 yet this year :laugh:)
Yes, when they decided they don't care, they REALLY don't care

But there has to be a point where you have to stop and think, you can't fake almost 2 seasons now of results. you can say riding the goaltending and '1 line scoring' - but since the turn of the Calendar year we've been standing wise - a top 5 team.

15-4-3? in 22 games [but oh you know the Kings, 8 in a ROW!]
we went from - if you really think about it - from not being in the playoff race at all [January 4th 2014], to being the third best team in the East/9th in the Conference]

Maybe this team knows what their short comings are - tries to work them as best they can and uses their strengths to their advantage, and for a team this young that has acknowledged that changes need to come (from management, down) what the heck is wrong with that?

Man, this team will never get its due. even when we win the cup, someone will find a way to be all "well you know. it's ____________"

crying out loud, put us higher in the power rankings already #tickedoffdaisy

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
When they were shutting LA down, I thought they were manning the blue line well but generally speaking, they don't do that enough. They are weak down low and yet they far too often allow skaters to gain entry and it ends up in a battle along the boards and behind the net and that is where they struggle to get the puck out.

Standing up the guy at the blue line seems like such a simple and effective way but the fact that they don't do it often enough makes me wonder if it's truly too simple to actually work well often.

If you stand up too often you run the risk of the team simply putting the puck behind you, forcing your defense to turn and then deal with a hard forecheck down low. Especially with a team like LA. By keeping them in front you allow the forwards to apply back pressure and/or force the dump in with your defense further back to be able to retrieve the puck and move it.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

:laugh: power rankings are such a joke, one of the hottest teams in the league since 2014 began and we aren't even in the top half of the league.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If you stand up too often you run the risk of the team simply putting the puck behind you, forcing your defense to turn and then deal with a hard forecheck down low. Especially with a team like LA. By keeping them in front you allow the forwards to apply back pressure and/or force the dump in with your defense further back to be able to retrieve the puck and move it.

I realize I didn't fully express my thought. I was referring to instances where the guy is rushing the puck into the zone along the boards. Couldn't you have the first forward back pick up the loose puck behind the D and move it? Would that lessen the possibility of your scenario?

When I see the team scrambling or watching a guy skate right into the slot for a shot, I know that there's something wrong there but I couldn't tell you who or what the missed assignment was and I may not be able to figure out exactly how it should have been played. I'm not well versed enough to process the game like that, that's why I said that sometimes I think that my simple solutions may be too simple to actually work and is probably why they don't do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad