Leaf Fans are the salt of the earth.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
They are the greatest.

It's a complete myth that they don't come to the games and cheer loudly.

Leaf fans rule. They cheer for great plays, hard work, big hits, fights, killing penalties, great goals, and wins.

The fans are awesome, and the latest "Soup" roar is awesome. They know a beauty when they see one.

Go Leafs Go.

Awesome fans.

Keep going!

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
119704CD-8129-402D-BDC3-36A902672F0B.gif

Reactions: kb

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think this stems from the history of this team. Back in the O6 days Toronto was a small market team believe it or not. And the teams were built around hard working players and commitment to defense, very much like the Islanders today. Since then Toronto has become a large corporate market and have won f*** all. So the fans romanticize the glory days and resent the present day situation.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think this stems from the history of this team. Back in the O6 days Toronto was a small market team believe it or not. And the teams were built around hard working players and commitment to defense, very much like the Islanders today. Since then Toronto has become a large corporate market and have won f*** all. So the fans romanticize the glory days and resent the present day situation.

Toronto was never a small market team at any point in time. They ran a regimented Lou Lamoriello type program based on Conn Smythe's military background, and always had a blue collar emphasis, that's true.

But they had the modern flag ship arena with Maple Leaf Gardens and represented Anglo Canada and were pioneers in new media with the advent of Hockey Night In Canada on the radio and later television.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Have you never noticed the lower bowl missing after 1st period?
Most down town arenas suffer from Corp malaise. Leafs are the leader in that category. Hard to wear face paint in your suit.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Leaf fans get a bad rep as being quiet in our own barn.. and it's well deserved.

We are.. until playoffs come around and we finally being the emotion in the building. That's what makes playoffs great in this city.

But last night against Boston the crowd was BUZZING. I was loving it.. it's definitely not always like that, but I really hope that starts being a trend and the next home game takes notes from the crowd on Saturday..

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Toronto was never a small market team at any point in time. They ran a regimented Lou Lamoriello type program based on Conn Smythe's military background, and always had a blue collar emphasis, that's true.

But they had the modern flag ship arena with Maple Leaf Gardens and represented Anglo Canada and were pioneers in new media with the advent of Hockey Night In Canada on the radio and later television.

Once the 60's rolled around, sure, they were a large market. But Toronto was the smallest city in the NHL for several decades until the English all drove down the 401 to Toronto and their population doubled. They obviously weren't small like Winnipeg is small, but relative to New York, Chicago, Detroit, Boston & Montreal they were a small market.

Madison Square Garden, Chicago Stadium, Detroit Olympia, Boston Garden and Montreal Forum were all built before Maple Leaf Garden as well. If anything Toronto was playing catch-up with their arena.

No question they were the center of the hockey media universe though. HNIC is historically unparalleled.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Most down town arenas suffer from Corp malaise. Leafs are the leader in that category. Hard to wear face paint in your suit.

This is the myth I'm talking about. The people come to the games and enjoy the consessions. They hang around before the game for dinner and drinks. The other teams in other arenas serve stale popcorn, boiled hot dogs, and p*** flavoured beer.

Reactions: ACC1224

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This is the myth I'm talking about. The people come to the games and enjoy the consessions. They hang around before the game for dinner and drinks. The other teams in other arenas serve stale popcorn, boiled hot dogs, and p*** flavoured beer.

images.jpeg.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Once the 60's rolled around, sure, they were a large market. But Toronto was the smallest city in the NHL for several decades until the English all drove down the 401 to Toronto and their population doubled. They obviously weren't small like Winnipeg is small, but relative to New York, Chicago, Detroit, Boston & Montreal they were a small market.

Madison Square Garden, Chicago Stadium, Detroit Olympia, Boston Garden and Montreal Forum were all built before Maple Leaf Garden as well. If anything Toronto was playing catch-up with their arena.

No question they were the center of the hockey media universe though. HNIC is historically unparalleled.

This is simply not true. Toronto may have been a smaller less significant Great Lakes city before the 1960s in the real world but in the hockey world they were always a front runner during the Original Six era and even prior to that.

The big market dynamics you’re talking about simply weren’t reflected in the mom and pop house league that was the NHL during those decades before expansion. New York was a world class city in the 20th century but a doormat also ran in the NHL. Ditto Boston. Chicago may have been a more significant urban centre but were the other team the Norris Family sometimes owned and were a non factor.

The NHL was a three horse race between Montreal, Toronto and Detroit and we were as big market then as we are big market now.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Cheering is directly related to the price of the seat and the quality and price of alcohol. The higher the price and quality and price of alcohol, the less passion and cheering

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
While I think Campbell had been great and deserves some type of chant I’ve always disliked the chant that sounds like your booing your own team. I think there so dumb. But that’s just me

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
there was an absolutely obliterated boston fan shouting on the corner "not since '67, you all suck, fight me!!!"

it was irritatingly funny.
It’s also funny because I get the recent history Boston has handed it to us but they won the cup in 2010? We haven’t won since 67 but they won that 1 cup in the same time frame. Not a great argument because they have the 1 cup but before that they had only won in 71? Lol

like other Canadian teams make fun of leafs nation for the drought yet they all have their own healthy drought….last Canadian team to win was the Habs in 93? Is that when we had the Gretzky blown call in the semi

but I just wanted to say I’m all for criticizing these players and management when thing have gone bad and they deserve it…BUT let’s not forget to chear them on and support them when they show up and really play like they have recently!!!

GO LEAFS GO!

Reactions: ottomaddox

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

This is an issue during every intermission, not just 1st period - the lineups for beer/concessions/bathrooms is just too long.

If you plan to use the bathroom & then grab a beer/food during intermissions in the 100s, and you aren't off your feet before the horn goes, you aren't getting back into your seat in time.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Not at all. You have no idea. Are you attending the games?
Not regularly for sure, but like I said, suits and face paint do not mix.
Tuesday night games are all Corp in lowers areas, Sat games are more family and friends. IMHO.
A couple of go leafs go does not constitute passion.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The environment has always been fine. They've changed the sound mix on the broadcasts this season to bring in more crowd noise.
Only ones who ever complain about the environment are the ones that never attend.

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad