LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Buium makes me think of Hutson, but 2" taller.

He's having an historic NCAA season production wise for a draft year defenseman.

He's creative, deceptive and smart.

He has the hands of an elite forward.

He's a top 10 at the 2024 draft for sure.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Buium makes me think of Hutson, but 2" taller.

He's having an historic NCAA season production wise for a draft year defenseman.

He's creative, deceptive and smart.

He has the hands of an elite forward.

He's a top 10 at the 2024 draft for sure.
Agreed. And a smart and heady defender who understands angles, leverage and has a quick mind. I don’t think he will end up a liability in his own end at all.

Reactions: cheechoo

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Reminds me of Shattenkirk. Crafty, smart offensive player from blueline, should be fine in own zone, but that isn’t where he excels. See him likely slotting in 10-20 range of draft.
I think this is a great comp.

--

Watched the DU-UMD game last night and Buium was impressive. UMD isn't a very good team this year, but it was still a playoff game. Buium was making plays all night. He's become very good at making himself dangerous, drawing attention, and then finding an opening teammate. Good stuff.

He's got nice hands, but I think it's questionable if he can pull off some of the stuff he does at the NCAA level in the NHL. He's got good feet, but not overly dynamic and doesn't create a ton of space when he goes 2 to 1 or inside out. Even if that is phased out of his game, I still like his ability to make reads and move the puck. He's come a long way in the last 12-18 months.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I also thought Buium was very impressive in all three zones last night. I watched a lot of the NTDP last season and never really saw it with him even though people said he was a potential top pick for 2024, but he’s developed a ton in the last year. Really goes to show you how much late birthdays benefit from the draft cutoff age being September.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s overrated offensively and underrated defensively.

He has generational point totals, but that whole Denver team always outperforms statistically. Many of them don’t sustain that after they leave Denver. Denver is the best NCAA team in the West, and play an easier schedule than a lot of the good teams. I don’t see an elite puck game. I see a very good puck game. Like 35-50 points at his best, but he doesn’t have Makar, Hughes, Fox offense. It’s not there.

I don’t think his defense is that bad. Definitely not only a bottom pair PP1 QB. He’s not the biggest or strongest and he’s not an elite skater, so that works against him defensively, but I think he’ll be a capable top 4 defenseman that can play in all situations, including a PK shift. He won’t be one of the best defensively in the NHL, but can be like the 3rd or 4th best defensive defender on his team.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

He has generational point totals, but that whole Denver team always outperforms statistically. Many of them don’t sustain that after they leave Denver. Denver is the best NCAA team in the West, and play an easier schedule than a lot of the good teams. I don’t see an elite puck game. I see a very good puck game. Like 35-50 points at his best, but he doesn’t have Makar, Hughes, Fox offense. It’s not there.

I don’t think his defense is that bad. Definitely not only a bottom pair PP1 QB. He’s not the biggest or strongest and he’s not an elite skater, so that works against him defensively, but I think he’ll be a capable top 4 defenseman that can play in all situations, including a PK shift. He won’t be one of the best defensively in the NHL, but can be like the 3rd or 4th best defensive defender on his team.
So a better defensive version of Gostisbehere?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Left shot Nemec.

Toews is a much better skater. A higher level player overall. Better defensively too.
“Skating” means a lot of things. I think Zeev Buium is a very good skater. Does he have a beautiful stride? Nope. Separation speed in a straight line? Nope. But like Adam Fox he looks fantastic stumbling around with the puck and breaking ankles. Not as good as Fox, of course, but in that style. Nemec has some of that too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Left shot Nemec.

“Skating” means a lot of things. I think Zeev Buium is a very good skater. Does he have a beautiful stride? Nope. Separation speed in a straight line? Nope. But like Adam Fox he looks fantastic stumbling around with the puck and breaking ankles. Not as good as Fox, of course, but in that style. Nemec has some of that too.

I would have said Nemec has much more graceful skating in open ice, but maybe you're right about the "stumbling" comparison when he and Buium are doing evasive cutbacks in the offensive zone. In their draft year though I like Buium's decision making at both ends more than I did with Nemec. Nemec has really had to come a long way and still has a ways to go.

"Not as good as Fox" is certainly fair to the current Fox. You can't really project that type of outcome. It's worth considering that Fox didn't lead his college team in scoring until his D+3, he wasn't that hyped until then. He wasn't in college in his draft year like Buium is now. So while no one should be expected to be as good as Fox is now, "not as good as Fox" shouldn't be used as a retroactive comparison to Fox in his draft year.

I searched for some draft year footage of Fox and this was the only thing that popped up on youtube:

This is mostly Fox at the U18s (Buium played U20 WJC this year).

Reactions: hawksrule

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Left shot Nemec.

I don’t think Fox is a good skater, although he’s effective. That’s the worst part of his game. He’s not even that short.

But I get what you mean. Buium is an effective skater, especially now that he’s taller than he was a few years ago. His skating is more palatable than when he was 5’10. He’s good on his edges and can walk the blue line. Toews is an elite skater in all directions, so I don’t think many are going to look good in comparison to his skating.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He reminds me of Suter in the sense that he is a master of leverage and angles. It allows him to win way more battles than he has any business winning.

Reactions: cheechoo

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would have said Nemec has much more graceful skating in open ice…
True. And he’s longer.
but maybe you're right about the "stumbling" comparison when he and Buium are doing evasive cutbacks in the offensive zone. In their draft year though I like Buium's decision making at both ends more than I did with Nemec. Nemec has really had to come a long way and still has a ways to go.
Agreee - good points.
"Not as good as Fox" is certainly fair to the current Fox. You can't really project that type of outcome. It's worth considering that Fox didn't lead his college team in scoring until his D+3, he wasn't that hyped until then. He wasn't in college in his draft year like Buium is now. So while no one should be expected to be as good as Fox is now, "not as good as Fox" shouldn't be used as a retroactive comparison to Fox in his draft year.
That’s what I meant.
I searched for some draft year footage of Fox and this was the only thing that popped up on youtube:

This is mostly Fox at the U18s (Buium played U20 WJC this year).

Interesting.

I don’t think Fox is a good skater, although he’s effective. That’s the worst part of his game. He’s not even that short.

But I get what you mean. Buium is an effective skater, especially now that he’s taller than he was a few years ago. His skating is more palatable than when he was 5’10. He’s good on his edges and can walk the blue line. Toews is an elite skater in all directions, so I don’t think many are going to look good in comparison to his skating.
I see your point now. And I totally agree.

Reactions: majormajor

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Pretty spot-on assessment of Zeev’s game, going into the draft.

I’ll add, he has a lot of room to grow his game as well, which will keep him higher on draft boards than most 6’ dmen who aren’t these super skilled types. He’s not in one of these situations where his physical frame is a major question mark, like a Hutson, Cormier, etc. He’s built much more to the liking of NHL teams, where his strength should come much more naturally. Definitely not small boned, have to eat 6 steak and potato meals a day type. Just not the tallest….

So, he’s gonna have a couple of years, to really round out his game, and get stronger as well. It’s something he can almost exclusively work on, and if he’s as committed as his brother, we’ll likely end up seeing a much better 2-way dman at the next level, than he is today.

I do think it’s fair mentioning, although teams won’t be worrying about him physically like they did a Hutson, it could still effect his draft position somewhat, because he isn’t 6’3”. As we approach the draft, teams do start falling in love, and convince themselves 6’4” with upside, outweighs 6’ with upside, even if the smaller player may be further along today. It does happen every year. Just look at ASP last year.

It won’t make him drop much though. Like ASP, he should still be a Top 20 pick, even if a couple of teams pass, and take a bigger prospect. My guess is, he still ends up closer to 10th overall than 20th.

It’s also worth mentioning, he’s already improved a lot in that regard this year, and his coach knows exactly what his weaknesses are. He’s in a perfect situation to keep improving.

Good bet he ends up much closer to a Justin Faulk type, than a Shayne Gostisbehere type.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Blueston

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
God dang! This kid can play. One of the top scorers on his NCAA team as a defenseman... this rarely happens. He won gold at the WJC and played a huge role for Team USA. His numbers this year are through the roof. He's reliable in the big moments. The guy is a straight up winner. Him and Levshunov are making it incredibly hard on teams picking in the 3-9 range.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched the whole game. He also had an assist on the PP... he and his brother are on one unit, and basically play ping pong with the puck till they find an open man down low, or decide to shoot it. He seems to be one of those players who always makes the right play when he has the puck, and is in control. Didn't see a lot of risky pinches or gambles.

Made one weak, failed clear up the boards that led to a GA in his own zone. I don't know that i would call him a vigorous defender, but he seems to be positionally sound, and makes smart plays. I'm kind of mad that i didn't focus in on his puck battles, but i couldn't always see the jersey #'s, and the damn announcers seemed intent on talking about everything but the actual play, so no help there.

Not sure how big he is. 6'? Not small....seems to be sturdily built, and strong on his skates.

I like him, and think he should be top 10 at a minimum. I think he should be in with the Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov tier of defenders.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
If he's not done growing, then he might go above Levshunov/Dickinson/Silayev, but I do think given how close all these D men are that the size and the lesser Western NCAA competition will hurt him minorly unless he has an excellent NCAA tourney. Most people I've seen here and in more "pro" lists have him at the tail end of the top D tier, trading spots with Parekh. Those who love Parekh also seem to have Buium at the top end of that tier and those who love Silayev/Levshunov don't. Dickinson is at the upper end of the tier more often than not but also sometimes is at the bottom, and Yakemchuk seems to be either at the very top or the very bottom below Parekh and Buium.

Will be super interesting at the draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he's not done growing, then he might go above Levshunov/Dickinson/Silayev, but I do think given how close all these D men are that the size and the lesser Western NCAA competition will hurt him minorly unless he has an excellent NCAA tourney. Most people I've seen here and in more "pro" lists have him at the tail end of the top D tier, trading spots with Parekh. Those who love Parekh also seem to have Buium at the top end of that tier and those who love Silayev/Levshunov don't. Dickinson is at the upper end of the tier more often than not but also sometimes is at the bottom, and Yakemchuk seems to be either at the very top or the very bottom below Parekh and Buium.

Will be super interesting at the draft.
Is the NCHC considered weak this year? St. Cloud is having a down year as is is Duluth ... both of those teams are usually a handful, as well as NoDak.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Is the NCHC considered weak this year? St. Cloud is having a down year as is is Duluth ... both of those teams are usually a handful, as well as NoDak.
I think the NCHC is considered weak this year, particularly compared to ECAC/hockey east. But that's why the tourney will be important!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad