LD Travis Dermott - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 34th, TOR)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
don't like it with Carlo still there

Interesting point. It will be interesting to compare down the road. Carlo would have filled our needs better being a big RHD with great shutdown potential. I would have liked him too, but I can see why we took Dermott. I actually felt Dermott would have been on our radar, but I would have guessed with a mid to late 2nd that I thought we would have acquired on draft day. Gottal love the fact that Dermott really stepped up big in the playoffs though, no complaints with this pick.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
He was a stud when I watched him in the Oshawa-Erie series, he was their best non-McDavid player in the playoffs

DeBrincat takes that one for me. He finished a lot of chances McDavid made for him but he still created offense of his own.

I noticed Dermott when he was out there too and I think he was their most noticeable defenceman which I think is a good thing in this circumstance. Mainly it was due to his physicality (plays and looks bigger than he is) but I thought he played decent all round too. I would say I did not get the feeling that he had the skills to carry the defense on his back but he's a solid guy to have on the backend. He looked to me his ceiling to be a decent 2nd pairing defender, more on the #4 side than #3.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Doesn't get a whole lot of exposure amongst the Leafs 2015 draftees, but he was just named OHL dman of the month
Leads all OHL dmen in assists and points

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's quietly looking like a great pick in the draft.
I'm excited about our young defence core going forward but we just need that big top pairing righthander to round it out.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Looked great in the Canada vs Russia game. Scored a goal too.

Who does he compare to in the NHL?

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'd say Vlasic.

Both are similar size, skate very well, very smart in all three zones. He might have more offensive potential, but you never know how that translates over to the NHL, so we'll see.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bob Mckenzie thinks Dermott is a lock for Team Canada. Very interesting, I would have thought he would be challenging a spot with Chychrun, Juulsen and others.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Great bump man, feeling a little down with the Habs lately I guess? Gotta take it out on something.

what? i said "you dont need to worry about that" because Dermott is the better prospect of the 2.. i dont really understand what i was "taking it out on".

in any case i started this thread (because i liked Dermotts game), doesnt really much sense for me to be attacking him..

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I see Dermott is putting up decent offensive numbers in the playoffs.
I would assume he'll face Dvorak, Tkachuk and Marner this round. That should be a good test of his ability to shut down big guns. However, I rarely have a chance to watch Erie and they may have a different defensive pairing for that role.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see Dermott is putting up decent offensive numbers in the playoffs.
I would assume he'll face Dvorak, Tkachuk and Marner this round. That should be a good test of his ability to shut down big guns. However, I rarely have a chance to watch Erie and they may have a different defensive pairing for that role.
They will probably use Raddysh on them alot (not sure how much he plays with Dermott) and also use Petit as a forward on them. It really depends on the match-ups they want, whether they want to go straight at each other, or try defensive matchups.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
They will probably use Raddysh on them alot (not sure how much he plays with Dermott) and also use Petit as a forward on them. It really depends on the match-ups they want, whether they want to go straight at each other, or try defensive matchups.

Do you happen to know who Dermott is normally paired with?

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
Dermott changed his game last year playoffs sp vs SSM. I expect the same this series vs London. He was probably the most impactful Otter in that series imo.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks.
I watched Erie twice this year(London, Kitchener) but couldn't remember who he was paired with.
I would of liked to see Dermott/Cernak go head to head with Dvoraks line.

I pretty much guarantee you that Dermott-Cernak will be out every shift against London's top line, at least at home while Erie has last change.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I pretty much guarantee you that Dermott-Cernak will be out every shift against London's top line, at least at home while Erie has last change.
Thought Darren Raddysh was your shut down guy? Might you try to get Strome Debrincat easier minutes vs say Cliff Pu/Berisha, and put Petit line and Raddysh on Marner's line? Or is your coach more inclined to play them straight up?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thought Darren Raddysh was your shut down guy? Might you try to get Strome Debrincat easier minutes vs say Cliff Pu/Berisha, and put Petit line and Raddysh on Marner's line? Or is your coach more inclined to play them straight up?

Erie's 2nd pairing is Fergus-Raddysh, while Raddysh is a good shut down guy, he is a solid two-way guy as well, Fergus is a smaller PMD. Dermott-Cernak is the better shut down pairing to square off against London's top line.

Whoever it is , is off to a rough start tonight.

Yes, Erie had a very poor start to the game, lack of discipline. Dermott-Cernak pairing had a bad night, beaten twice even strength by London's top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad