LD Travis Dermott - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 34th, TOR)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
9 Game Update:

28.31 toiQoC (getting tougher each game)
53.47 ZSR (getting tougher each game)
PDO - 103.6 (heavily influenced by his .975 oiSV%)

rel.CF% - 7.08
rel.xGF% - 5.12
rel.GF% - 13.27

In other words, through 9 games he's been fantastic, but it's still too small a sample size to really look at these stats to draw a conclusion. He's also been very lucky as Leafs goalies have only given up 2 goals when he's on the ice (and have a .975 sv%). Don't expect that to possibly continue.

What's even more amazing is that these stats include his 48 minutes dragging around Roman Polak. This guy is for real imo.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Percy is who you are referring to I assume. The difference between Dermott and Percy is the tools. Percy could not skate even close to as well as Dermott and Dermott's decision making is top notch. It doesn't really matter to me how many points he puts up, his defensively play is very very good, especially for a kid his age. He has shown he can defend very well at the NHL level.
No I'm not saying he is going to bust. I'm thinking like a Tylers Myers who busted onto the scene looking really good and then kind of went through some tough times then became a top 4 D. The expectation that a 21 yr old rookie D playing like a top pairing D every night seems like a setup for disappointment. I'm excited about the kid.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Holy!! Great play. Glad his dad was there. Barzal had a bad game. Lotta hate for him here. Don't think he deserves that after the year he has been putting together???

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Is it really hate to say you don't think he's better than Matthews?

Anyways, Dermott is better than advertised. Solid in both ends. Homegrown talent is the best kind of talent. Definitely has top 4 dman future it would seem.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Gonna be some difficult decisions when our defense is 100% healthy (difficult for Babcock at least, Leaf fans gotta have more cowbell Dermott)

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Polak

or

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Holl
Carrick

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's so nice when they fill a permanent spot internally like this. Dermott is going nowhere regardless of whom comes back into the lineup. He's solidly our #5 now. I think we're going to move out a forward (Martin or Soshnikov) and carry 8D with a 3 man rotation for the #6 spot. Question is, do they keep Holl and move out Carrick or Polak? I doubt that's the case and they send Holl back.

Probable D Pairings:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick/Borgman/Polak

Holl - Back to the Marlies

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's so nice when they fill a permanent spot internally like this. Dermott is going nowhere regardless of whom comes back into the lineup. He's solidly our #5 now. I think we're going to move out a forward (Martin or Soshnikov) and carry 8D with a 3 man rotation for the #6 spot. Question is, do they keep Holl and move out Carrick or Polak? I doubt that's the case and they send Holl back.

Probable D Pairings:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick/Borgman/Polak

Holl - Back to the Marlies
I'd rather have Holl than Carrick or Polak tbh, but I don't think that's likely

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You tell me? When a player was coined better than Travis Konecny(which created false expectations) and so many raved about his preseason. Surely one would expect him to win a spot ahead of Carrick, Marincin, or Borgman shouldn't he? 3 spots qualifies as many openings. None are signed to locked in contracts or are core D men. Maybe he didn't play as well as some claimed he did since the Leafs sent him back to start the year. Which ultimately means he did not win a job over 3 players, 3 openings, he realistically could have.
How do you think he's looked so far in the nhl?

Reactions: Max Money

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don’t wanna get TOO excited, as it’s quite a small sample size, but he’s been excellent so far. Has so far adjusted super easily from the AHL, not missing a beat, still making a major impact with his hockey IQ, skating and puck handling. He’s playing a great 2 way game at the moment, hope he can keep it up!

Also, the team looks so much better with Dermott and Kapanen in, Polak and Martin out, and Komarov down to the 4th line. The Leafs are built to play a high skill, high speed, puck dominating style, and these lineup changes really enable that.

Reactions: weems

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
He won't have a comment on Dermott until he has his first bad game.

The Leafs are on the up and up and will likely be a cup contender very, very soon based on these factors:
1) Number 1C - Auston Matthews. Strong Number 2C in Kadri.
2) Number 1 Goalie: Freddy
3) Number 1D - Arguably Rielly with Jake, Zaitsev and now possibly Dermott as solid young top 4D.
4) Elite Winger - Potentially both Marner and Nylander.
5) Strong Depth throughout the lineup
6) Cap flexibility
7) Elite Coach
8) Strong drafting and development system
9) Solid prospects.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Not to mention Babcock literally said that if Dermott was a RD he makes the team out of camp. He was simply the youngest of the guys competing for that spot so he got put down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad