LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Not really if it's 1 player out of all 1998 borns in North America, that's exceptional.

I do find it odd that they've given them out twice in 2 years but wouldn't give it to Sidney Crosby. The Crosby camp back then probably didn't push as hard for it... Crosby seems like the type that would be fine with staying at a prep school in the states, putting off his dominance of the Q for 1 extra year didn't hurt him :laugh:

But ye after John Tavares was granted exceptional status, it seemed like we wouldn't even hear about it for a long time because he seemed to regress a little bit by being stuck in the OHL for a while. Sure he still dominated but his 16 year old season was better than his 17 and 18 year old season and he didn't seem to figure out his skating was truly crap until he was in the NHL because for so long he was able to just breeze around kids in the OHL and he seemed to figure it would just figure itself out.

If that were the case, but it seems to be only the OHL putting this rule into action.

I mean, was Ekblad better at 15 than guys like Hall, RNH or MacKinnon? All were seen as potential 1st overall picks and came after Tavares, but the exceptional player rule never was really mentioned for them. (I believe John McFarland applied but was denied).

Maybe Day is for real, but personally I think if a player is going to be granted the exception they should truly be exceptional.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Ekblad deserved it for sure, you have to watch him play to understand why. He's better than any 95, 96 and 97 defenseman.
For why Crosby got rejected and not Tavares. Crosby went to the Q for his case while Tavares went to Hockey Canada and threatened to go the NCAA if he didn't get it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If that were the case, but it seems to be only the OHL putting this rule into action.

I mean, was Ekblad better at 15 than guys like Hall, RNH or MacKinnon? All were seen as potential 1st overall picks and came after Tavares, but the exceptional player rule never was really mentioned for them. (I believe John McFarland applied but was denied).

Maybe Day is for real, but personally I think if a player is going to be granted the exception they should truly be exceptional.

Taylor Hall was drafted #2 overall to Ryan O'Reilly lol

Nathan MacKinnon definitely wasn't Q ready at 15 and RNH wasn't dub ready at 15. Neither of these guys were playing and dominating Midget hockey at 14 like McDavid or 13 like Ekblad. John Tavares was well over a point a game in Junior A at the age of 14. These guys proved they could play with older players whereas the guys you mentioned were all playing with their age group.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Ekblad and McDavid were definitely deserving of exceptional status and there's no reason to blink a kid from getting ES if he deserves it. That would defeat the purpose of it.

I watched Sean Day at Silver Stick in Whitby two weeks ago and he was easily the best player there as an underage '98 defensemen. I truly have never seen a player of his ability at the defensive position. He is what McDavid would be as a Dman and he's 100% worthy of ES. Best skater I've watched in years and he's got the smarts, size, hands and overall skill to step right into the OHL. To be honest, he could probably play a top-4 role on any OHL club RIGHT NOW

And, yes...he is Canadian

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Taylor Hall was drafted #2 overall to Ryan O'Reilly lol

Nathan MacKinnon definitely wasn't Q ready at 15 and RNH wasn't dub ready at 15. Neither of these guys were playing and dominating Midget hockey at 14 like McDavid or 13 like Ekblad. John Tavares was well over a point a game in Junior A at the age of 14. These guys proved they could play with older players whereas the guys you mentioned were all playing with their age group.

Hall only went 2nd because he said he wouldn't play for eerie. He was seen as the top talent in the draft. And mackinnon was better than lots of qmjhl regulars when he was 15.

EDIT: I am by no means saying those guys deserved consideration for exceptional player status, I'm just saying that if Day is going to get it he should be clearly better than any of those players were at 15.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hall only went 2nd because he said he wouldn't play for eerie. He was seen as the top talent in the draft. And mackinnon was better than lots of qmjhl regulars when he was 15.

EDIT: I am by no means saying those guys deserved consideration for exceptional player status, I'm just saying that if Day is going to get it he should be clearly better than any of those players were at 15.

Simple put, no.

You can't base ES off guys who weren't even considered for ES :laugh: especially when those guys didn't even play Midget hockey the way Ekblad, McDavid, or Tavares did as underagers.

Maybe Hall or MacKinnon get ES if they played Midget, dominated, and tried to get ES but none of them did so there's absolutely no comparison there.

Sidney Crosby you could make an argument for but I don't think he cared as much to play in the Q a year early. I really don't remember him pushing that hard at all for ES. I know there was some chatter but I don't think he was jumping through hoops for it. He was happy to go to Shattuck and embrace a new experience, living away from home and playing hockey all day every day definitely helped his development.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Simple put, no.

You can't base ES off guys who weren't even considered for ES :laugh: especially when those guys didn't even play Midget hockey the way Ekblad, McDavid, or Tavares did as underagers.

Maybe Hall or MacKinnon get ES if they played Midget, dominated, and tried to get ES but none of them did so there's absolutely no comparison there.

Sidney Crosby you could make an argument for but I don't think he cared as much to play in the Q a year early. I really don't remember him pushing that hard at all for ES. I know there was some chatter but I don't think he was jumping through hoops for it. He was happy to go to Shattuck and embrace a new experience, living away from home and playing hockey all day every day definitely helped his development.

Well since Crosby was clearly the best Midget player in the country when he was 14, I would say if the rule existed then he would have been a lock.

But do you really think the only thing HC looks at is where the player is playing? IMO an "exceptional" player should only come around every 5-10 years hypothetically. Every year there are 14 year old kids playing midget and doing well, but that doesn't make them exceptional.

Having said that, HC seems to have done a good job selecting players that qualify thus far, so if Day gets it then I'm sure he deserves it.

EDIT: MacKinnon very well would have been far and away the best Midget player in Atlantic Canada when he was 14 if he didn't go to Shattuck. Not the same level as the GTHL but still very impressive.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Well since Crosby was clearly the best Midget player in the country when he was 14, I would say if the rule existed then he would have been a lock.

But do you really think the only thing HC looks at is where the player is playing? IMO an "exceptional" player should only come around every 5-10 years hypothetically. Every year there are 14 year old kids playing midget and doing well, but that doesn't make them exceptional.

Having said that, HC seems to have done a good job selecting players that qualify thus far, so if Day gets it then I'm sure he deserves it.

Well Aaron Ekblad was 6'3 200lbs at like 13 years old, he was definitely that big at 14 lol
Not only was he a mammoth but he got ES after 2 seasons of playing Midget hockey for Sun County. Over those 2 years he played 92 games and had over a 100 points. For a kid with another 3 years of Midget eligibility (technically) and 1 more before his OHL season, he was definitely exceptional.

Connor McDavid is simply exceptional. With the Toronto Marlboros Midget AAA last season he had 33G and 39A for 72 PTS in 33 games. That's large production in that amount of games.

Compare him to John Tavares (Another Exceptional talent for his age) Tavares had 158PTS in 72 Games. It seems like Tavares was way better offensive when you look at 158PTS compared to 72 points but really their points per game was actually 0.0126 points per game apart :laugh: he was definitely exceptional

This kids weren't just 14 year olds doing well. They were doing the best. Like you said they've done a good job letting guys in who want in when they're exceptional. You just can't deny a guy because last year there was an exceptional player as well, you have to treat each case differently.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Well Aaron Ekblad was 6'3 200lbs at like 13 years old, he was definitely that big at 14 lol
Not only was he a mammoth but he got ES after 2 seasons of playing Midget hockey for Sun County. Over those 2 years he played 92 games and had over a 100 points. For a kid with another 3 years of Midget eligibility (technically) and 1 more before his OHL season, he was definitely exceptional.

Connor McDavid is simply exceptional. With the Toronto Marlboros Midget AAA last season he had 33G and 39A for 72 PTS in 33 games. That's large production in that amount of games.

Compare him to John Tavares (Another Exceptional talent for his age) Tavares had 158PTS in 72 Games. It seems like Tavares was way better offensive when you look at 158PTS compared to 72 points but really their points per game was actually 0.0126 points per game apart :laugh: he was definitely exceptional

This kids weren't just 14 year olds doing well. They were doing the best. Like you said they've done a good job letting guys in who want in when they're exceptional. You just can't deny a guy because last year there was an exceptional player as well, you have to treat each case differently.

I just don't want them to lower their standard of what qualifies just because a player threatens to go NCAA, or they want to make more money, etc.

I know that in NS it was a big deal when Crosby got to play midget as a 14 year old. Ben Duffy was the 2nd to play underage and that was a pretty big deal too. But now, it seems like every year the top 14 year old gets to play, some years even 2 players do. Now when someone in NS is playing at 14 it may just be the case that they are the best in their birth year.

I doubt HC would do this, being a much larger organization than HNS, but no matter how you put it if 3 years in a row has an exception it is going to lose a little bit of its glamour.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I just don't want them to lower their standard of what qualifies just because a player threatens to go NCAA, or they want to make more money, etc.

I know that in NS it was a big deal when Crosby got to play midget as a 14 year old. Ben Duffy was the 2nd to play underage and that was a pretty big deal too. But now, it seems like every year the top 14 year old gets to play, some years even 2 players do. Now when someone in NS is playing at 14 it may just be the case that they are the best in their birth year.

I doubt HC would do this, being a much larger organization than HNS, but no matter how you put it if 3 years in a row has an exception it is going to lose a little bit of its glamour.

I don't think there has been a 14 year old playing NSMMHL since Steven Anthony? Before that it was Duffy and before that it was Crosby

Edit: Actually I just took a look and Anthony didn't even play NSMMHL until his Q draft year lol

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
These 2015 and 2016 prospect threads are making me feel old. And I'm not even old!
Yeah, it's pretty hard to make me feel old as I'm 20, but kids like this will just about do it.
I mean, I've been using the Internet longer than he's been alive. :laugh:

Sounds like leetch. How tall is he?
That's a good question since the HPHL site doesn't publish that information and it doesn't seem to be anywhere else out there.
The most recent measurement I've found was from the 10-11 season (so he was 12-13) when he was listed at 5'11 148.

Here's one of his games on YouTube, he's #4 in white:

Unfortunately the uploader applied the stupid shake correction (the worst feature on YouTube by far, it should have been killed in beta or you should at least be able to opt out of "corrected" versions of videos) and it's a bit screwy.
A word of warning: I managed to watch all of it eventually, but I had to take a few breaks, as it started to make me feel sick, much like SD to HD upconversion on TV when you notice the soft areas of pixels that your TV creates.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That's a good question since the HPHL site doesn't publish that information and it doesn't seem to be anywhere else out there.
The most recent measurement I've found was from the 10-11 season (so he was 12-13) when he was listed at 5'11 148.

Thats pretty tall for a 12 year old in gr.7. When I was in gr.9 years ago lol most of the guys were like 120-140 lbs and shorter than that.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
USHR mentioned him being about 6'3" a few months back. They're usually extremely reliable. Of course they also seemed to think he was American as well so who knows.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don't think there has been a 14 year old playing NSMMHL since Steven Anthony? Before that it was Duffy and before that it was Crosby

Edit: Actually I just took a look and Anthony didn't even play NSMMHL until his Q draft year lol

Matthew highmore, Brendan nickerson both played in the same season as 14 year olds in 2010-11.

Anthony was granted the exception to play but went to us prep instead. He reurned to NS for his 1st year of actual midget eligibility.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Ekblad and McDavid were definitely deserving of exceptional status and there's no reason to blink a kid from getting ES if he deserves it. That would defeat the purpose of it.

I watched Sean Day at Silver Stick in Whitby two weeks ago and he was easily the best player there as an underage '98 defensemen. I truly have never seen a player of his ability at the defensive position. He is what McDavid would be as a Dman and he's 100% worthy of ES. Best skater I've watched in years and he's got the smarts, size, hands and overall skill to step right into the OHL. To be honest, he could probably play a top-4 role on any OHL club RIGHT NOW

And, yes...he is Canadian

Well said.

The thing that makes Day even more impressive is he doesn't even look like he's trying. You watch him out there and he looks like he's playing pick-up. The one time I saw him really turn on the jets he blew right be a Jr. Canadians D and scored on a breakaway. It's almost as if he's bored playing Minor Midget. I honestly believe he could play a regular shift in the OHL right now and not look out of place. Definitely worthy of exceptional status, and I'd put him ahead of Ekblad at the same age.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Watch him play, and you'll see why he's being considered for it. His skating and edge work is honestly pro caliber right now.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Not saying this kid doesn't deserve it but if there are 3 exemptions granted in 3 years doesn't the word "exceptional" lose some meaning?

If they're good enough, they're good enough. They haven't been wrong on one yet and they made right call when McFarland pushed for it. It does seem odd if it happens three straight years but maybe Ekblad, McDavid and Day are just that good?

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I can see exceptional status being handed more and more. The training, diets etc has really changed in the last 10 or so years making prospects bigger and stronger at an earlier age.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
If he really is that good, I have no problem with it. It just seems unlikely that their would be 3 exceptional players in a row.

HC has had a good track record so far with the rule though, so I'm sure if he is granted ES it was deserved.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Well said.

The thing that makes Day even more impressive is he doesn't even look like he's trying. You watch him out there and he looks like he's playing pick-up. The one time I saw him really turn on the jets he blew right be a Jr. Canadians D and scored on a breakaway. It's almost as if he's bored playing Minor Midget. I honestly believe he could play a regular shift in the OHL right now and not look out of place. Definitely worthy of exceptional status, and I'd put him ahead of Ekblad at the same age.

100% agree.

Simply put, Sean Day is exceptional. Sooooooooooooo damn good.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah, it's pretty hard to make me feel old as I'm 20, but kids like this will just about do it.
I mean, I've been using the Internet longer than he's been alive. :laugh:

Here's one of his games on YouTube, he's #4 in white:

Unfortunately the uploader applied the stupid shake correction (the worst feature on YouTube by far, it should have been killed in beta or you should at least be able to opt out of "corrected" versions of videos) and it's a bit screwy.
A word of warning: I managed to watch all of it eventually, but I had to take a few breaks, as it started to make me feel sick, much like SD to HD upconversion on TV when you notice the soft areas of pixels that your TV creates.

I only watched the first 17 minutes and stopped. I saw what I clicked to see lol and the game was pretty boring other than his shifts so I stopped.

Like someone said, he barely tries. The last shift I watched of him (15:20ish mark) he did a bunch that impressed me. He makes a nice little move at the line to save a bad pass, keep the puck in, get around a defender, and come away with the puck with space. Later he has a nice little rush with little effort and then around 16:28 mark he dumbies a kid who tries to hit him. That shift was enough for me to shut it off satisfied.

Side note: Those games always have me on edge when the entire team isn't wearing neck guards yet the guy at the gate on Compuwares bench has a helmet on :laugh:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Watched some of the game footage, very impressive.

Just how good is the league he is playing in? How would it compare to the GTHL or other top Canadian midget leagues? Also does anyone have any idea what his stats are like this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad