LD Sam Dickinson - London Knights, OHL (2024 Draft)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
To me a comp is what a player could become if he reaches his ceiling. There’s a stylistic element too.

The vast majority of these kids don’t reach their ceiling, so yes obviously there won’t be 4-5 all star D.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting that.
I think that's where you guys are missing each other then. I think Pavel is saying a comp is the likely outcome, while a ceiling is the best case, dream, out of this world scenario.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Pietrangelo is a projectable outcome for Dickinson. Pietrangelo went 4OA in his draft year, and would arguably fall in a 2008 re-draft. He's a great player, but Dickinson is a great prospect. A comparable isn't a guarantee, it's just a player that profiles similar. If I could guarantee that Dickinson was going to be as good as Pietrangelo, I'd still take Celebrini. Dickinson is a similar frame to Pietrangelo, his defense is his best attribute, but he still is a high-end offensive player. He's not a perfect prospect, but that's why he's not going 1OA.

dickinsonpietrangelo1sm.pngdickinsonpietrangelo2sm.pngdickinsonpietrangelo3sm.png

He's a similar size, has similar production relative to the league, has similar best-attributes, and will probably be drafted within 2 spots of Pietraneglo. I don't think he's a bad comparable.

Last edited:

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
He feels like the safest of the D in this class. If he is Pietrangelo, that’s a massive get. Guys like Suter & Pietrangelo who are all situation 1Ds without explosive ability often get underrated but their teams always perform.

100% one of the safest prospects in this class. I like his ceiling but he also has a nice floor

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Here is one game of Dickinson:

Some good to great flashes in the offensive zone and decent D zone escapes coupled with some real bonehead DZ decisions with the puck. Hopefully that's just the 18 year old in him or maybe it was just one game, but it's one data point that makes me feel like "maybe this whole "very high floor" thing isn't guaranteed."

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Some good to great flashes in the offensive zone and decent D zone escapes coupled with some real bonehead DZ decisions with the puck. Hopefully that's just the 18 year old in him or maybe it was just one game, but it's one data point that makes me feel like "maybe this whole "very high floor" thing isn't guaranteed."
It basically never is, unless we're talking about players with very high ceilings. He'll probably play a few hundred games as a floor, but you'd expect that with any top 5 pick barring injuries. If any player had a floor as second pairing defenseman on a playoff team, they'd go #1 easily.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So, I have seen a lot of talk online about the offensive season that Zayne Parekh is having - rightfully so, he is having the best draft eligible season in the OHL since Ryan Ellis. BUT there hasn’t been enough discourse on just how elite of a season we have been seeing out of Sam Dickinson. He is on pace to put up similar offensive totals to Drew Doughty in his draft year while possessing a similar physical profile.

This is a defender that in my mind unequivocally has top pairing upside at the next level, he has the size, compete level, defensive prowess, skating and physicality that NHL teams looks for out of blue-liners. The biggest issue in his game is his questionable decision making at times with the puck on his stick. But if a player can surpass PPG as a defender in the OHL as a 17 year old, while having question’s with his puck management - I think it’s scary to think what he could be if he cleans this area of his game up a little bit.

There are so many defenders in this class that are having amazing seasons, but I think Dickinson could be the best of the bunch. There should be more talk on how insane of a season he’s having

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I get that he isn't flashy, but the tools are strong and the IQ/hockey sense/positioning doesn't look like an issue from what I've seen and read. We've talked here that an absolute ceiling is Pietrangelo but that sounds like a stretch to many. However when people say they are looking at a future middle pair D I'm not sure what they're seeing there. Guy looks like he could easily be a solid #2 or a well rounded if unspectacular #1 on a deep D squad. He's not Pronger but it seems like he could definitely be Seabrook or maybe even better if he really hits.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I get that he isn't flashy, but the tools are strong and the IQ/hockey sense/positioning doesn't look like an issue from what I've seen and read. We've talked here that an absolute ceiling is Pietrangelo but that sounds like a stretch to many. However when people say they are looking at a future middle pair D I'm not sure what they're seeing there. Guy looks like he could easily be a solid #2 or a well rounded if unspectacular #1 on a deep D squad. He's not Pronger but it seems like he could definitely be Seabrook or maybe even better if he really hits.
100$ agreed. If he hits, I could see a Hanifan or even better-skating Petro. Heck, with his skating I could see hints of Niedermayer even. Obviously there are lots of possible (and likelier) outcomes below that, but I don't understand the middle pair ceiling comments either.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My report on Dickinson. Free for everyone to view currently.

Curious if you or anyone else has noticed what I have, that he doesn’t really have a quality stretch pass. Yakemchuk’s is eye popping. He can really thread the needle either way up the ice for transition or across the zone. Meanwhile, Dickinson seems to excel only at quick little passes over short distances.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
100$ agreed. If he hits, I could see a Hanifan or even better-skating Petro. Heck, with his skating I could see hints of Niedermayer even. Obviously there are lots of possible (and likelier) outcomes below that, but I don't understand the middle pair ceiling comments either.
I asked about a Bouwmeester comparable on the CBJ board. Thats the name that stuck out the bit Ive watched of him

Reactions: Blueston

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He has better offensive tools than Bouwmeester mainly his shot. I think he could surprise offensively.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I asked about a Bouwmeester comparable on the CBJ board. Thats the name that stuck out the bit Ive watched of him

Does he have that same effortless skating ability that J-Bo did?

J-Bo was like 6'4 super lanky and almost always the best skater on the ice at all times. Could drop a casual 30 minute shift without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Does he have that same effortless skating ability that J-Bo did?

J-Bo was like 6'4 super lanky and almost always the best skater on the ice at all times. Could drop a casual 30 minute shift without breaking a sweat.
Thats why I thought of Bouwmeester. He just feels like hes going to be one of those effortless guys that can play half a game if you want him to. When filled out Dickinson will virtually be the same size, just an inch shorter

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would it really shock anyone if he is off the board at #2?

He's probably got the most balanced tool kit of all the defenseman and the one you can easily to project to defend at a high level at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad