Speculation: Leon Draisaitl to San José?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
It's not in English so I have no idea what it says. But he's under contract with the Oilers for another year and currently still in a playoff series.
It says in short that San José have a german owner and that San José have a bright future with much young talent. The insider thinks it would be attractive for Draisaitl to sign there when his contract with Oilers is over.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He's got a NTC/NMC. I suspect SJ may be on it given their rebuild status. Leon's level of play in the post-season indicates he wants to win. As a result, this doesn't seem like a reasonable or credible scenario.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean, maybe he goes to the SJS as a free agent but that is some time ahead. It's too early to speculate beyond the fact he would obviously be pissed beyond words if the Oilers were to lose this series to Vancouver

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The article from Marek the other day made it sound like a UFA signing.

Only way that makes sense is if Oilers win this year or next and then Leon just goes for the money.

Otherwise I highly doubt he's going to leave to go to a rebuilding club in what's left of his prime years. Leave Edmonton sure, but not to San Jose.

Ledge And Dairy

It says in short that San José have a german owner and that San José have a bright future with much young talent. The insider thinks it would be attractive for Draisaitl to sign there when his contract with Oilers is over.
So it's not a rumor, he's not an insider, and it's baseless speculation?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean I could maybe see it if SJ's kids look good this year. Especially if they hire Sturm as a coach. There's some German connections there for sure, but Leon will have his pick of teams

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sharks are dogs hit but I can see why LD would want to maybe sign there. Good young pieces including Celebrini in a few months, sure he'd be on the other side of 30 when they start contending but he'd have a relatively stress free life in SJ.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Drai is going to get paid from a playoff team regardless. No reason to sign with SJ just for the money.

Teams would make room and trade players for peanuts if they have to.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This isn't a rumor, it's speculation. McDavid is from the GTA, the Leafs' owners have a major presence in the GTA. Doesn't mean that there is any indication whatsoever the Leafs are anywhere near his radar

Reactions: Mckay

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
As a Sharks fan this is one of the silliest rumors to me. Is a German owner really his deciding factor in where he signs? I guess there’s a world where the Sharks are one of the few teams with the cap space to make him an offer but I don’t really see it happening.

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
SJ could definitely be attractive. If Smith and Celebrini are looking good and they get another high pick next year, it definitely looks like a solid young core.

An offer with a C on the jersey a la Boston and Chara and young core adding a piece like him? Rebuild instantly ends.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Why would he do that when he's already paired with McDavid?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The sharks won’t be paying for him. If he comes he signs as a free agent on a shorter term but massive money deal.

Also I don’t see why he would care about the German owner thing at all, Hasso is not involved with this team at all. Unless he’s trying to get some family and friends cushy SAP jobs

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Draisaitl may leave to earn more money or price himself out of Edmonton, but if he does he's not going to go to a rebuilding team. He's gonna go to a team that's established who needs a 1C. Boston for example would be a good fit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I highly doubt this. He wants to win. If he can't do that riding shotgun with the best player in the world in Edmonton, I doubt he makes the jump to San Jose.

The previous report/speculation/rumor/whatever of him thinking Boston makes a ton more sense than this.

Reactions: Coach Parker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad