LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
Dahlin reminds stylistically very much of Mcdavid. Incredible stickhandling and skating skills in speed. I don't know if the playmaking ability is as good, but very good at least. Awesome prospect overall.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
This is the like only flaw I see aswell
Not a flaw but i would like to see him improve his first few steps and straight line speed. His speed is good as it is but i think that would help him elevating his game even further.

Dahlin reminds stylistically very much of Mcdavid. Incredible stickhandling and skating skills in speed. I don't know if the playmaking ability is as good, but very good at least. Awesome prospect overall.
Don't think he has the speed of McDavid but i can absolutely see why you're making that comparison. It looks like both players have the puck glued to their sticks when they make moves in full speed.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Kid has serious issues with his skating, hockey IQ, shooting, passing. He's a poor speller and cannot cook a good meal to save his life. Also, I hear he's got a horrible attitude towards hockey pucks. Just despises them for whatever reason. Kind of psychotic and not worth a risk for any teams. I think teams should pass on him and let the Leafs have all the headaches.

P.S. He also has signability issues. Also prone to getting MONO.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Kid has serious issues with his skating, hockey IQ, shooting, passing. He's a poor speller and cannot cook a good meal to save his life. Also, I hear he's got a horrible attitude towards hockey pucks. Just despises them for whatever reason. Kind of psychotic and not worth a risk for any teams. I think teams should pass on him and let the Leafs have all the headaches.

Now as an Avs fan I don't feel like tanking for him no more!!

;D

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Red Wings need Dahlin. Can we just have 1 elite piece please hockey gods? We haven't drafted one since 1999.

Hey, no. Wings have had enough. Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom all within the past 10-20 years. How about you guys just relax for a few years.

Now as an Avs fan I don't feel like tanking for him no more!!

;D

You're all welcome. Saved you guys the trouble. FYI, you want that Svechnikov fellar.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

Someone seem salty

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't think he's stylistically like McDavid at all because you have to factor in the speed game for that to be true.

Stylistically he reminds of jagr when he's on offence, his moves look really slick and effortless, a lot like jagrs moves were.

Also reminds of leetch in that regard.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey, no. Wings have had enough. Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom all within the past 10-20 years. How about you guys just relax for a few years.

You're all welcome. Saved you guys the trouble. FYI, you want that Svechnikov fellar.

Dahlin would be perfect for this club and we really need one of the top LHDs from this class to finish rebuilding our D even if the lotto gods don't reward us for our suffering last spring...but I couldn't complain about getting that Svechnikov fella. He's gunna be absolutely amazing to, and the team needs a pure goalscorer more than it needs anything other than that #1 LHD.

Last edited:

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Victor Hedman and Adam Larsson were good in their draft years but unless something crazy happens Dahlin should have the best draft year for a Swedish defenseman of all time.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Victor Hedman and Adam Larsson were good in their draft years but unless something crazy happens Dahlin should have the best draft year for a Swedish defenseman of all time.

Watched a couple of pre season games where he's been a bit up and down, but good overall. Biggest worry for me this season is the strength part. He's still a very lanky player who will get pushed around quite a bit in his own zone. It's not going to be easy for him to handle that over a full season.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So far hes way ahead of em at the same age
He has a flashier offensive game, but way ahead at the same age? Dahlin just completed his draft-1 season, played half the year in the SHL, where he put up 3 points in 26 regular season games. In Adam Larsson's draft-1 year, he played a full year in the SHL, was better defensively, and put up much better numbers (17 points in 49 regular season games). Hedman also played a full SHL season in his draft-1 year, although his numbers were more modest, like Dahlin's (4 points in 39 games).

As for besting Hedman's draft year this upcoming season, that won't be easy. Hedman had a beastly draft year, putting up 21 points in 43 games, and was +21. Dahlin has some pretty exceptional skills, I'm certainly very high on him, I think his potential is sky high. However, calling him way ahead of Hedman/Larsson at the same age, or thinking that it'll be easy for him to best Hedman's draft season, I don't see it. It'll be very hard for him to match Hedman's 0.5 PPG next year, and in terms of defensive play, he's not on par with draft-year Hedman.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He has a flashier offensive game, but way ahead at the same age? Dahlin just completed his draft-1 season, played half the year in the SHL, where he put up 3 points in 26 regular season games. In Adam Larsson's draft-1 year, he played a full year in the SHL, was better defensively, and put up much better numbers (17 points in 49 regular season games). Hedman also played a full SHL season in his draft-1 year, although his numbers were more modest, like Dahlin's (4 points in 39 games).

As for besting Hedman's draft year this upcoming season, that won't be easy. Hedman had a beastly draft year, putting up 21 points in 43 games, and was +21. Dahlin has some pretty exceptional skills, I'm certainly very high on him, I think his potential is sky high. However, calling him way ahead of Hedman/Larsson at the same age, or thinking that it'll be easy for him to best Hedman's draft season, I don't see it. It'll be very hard for him to match Hedman's 0.5 PPG next year, and in terms of defensive play, he's not on par with draft-year Hedman.

There have been countless of interviews of scouts and agents in Swedish media. Everyone is saying the same thing, Dahlin is the best Swedish 16 year old they have ever seen. Hedman and Larsson were 200 lbs manchilds in their draft-1 and they were both a birth year older. And let's not act like Larsson and Hedman were flawless players at that age.

Last edited:

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden

Yes he's way better than both Hedman and Larsson as a talent at the same age.
Both players were so much more physically mature at the same age as Dahlin. Dahlin is a lanky kid, Hedman and Larsson were physically men. But here's the thing that separates them all. Dahlin in multiple instances basically took over the game, he looked unstoppable as a 16 year old kid. Also wouldn't say that Hedman or Larsson were necessarily better defensively in their draft year.
It has nothing to do with him playing more fancy, there's a reason why us Swedish fans repeatedly aay that he's the greatest talent coming out of Sweden in the modern era.

As for numbers wise you can't really compare.
Hedman was 15th in scoring by defensemen as a late birthday in his draft season.
08-09 Hedmans stats in 16-17 would mean that he would be the 6th highest scorer by defensemen.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yes he's way better than both Hedman and Larsson as a talent at the same age.
Both players were so much more physically mature at the same age as Dahlin. Dahlin is a lanky kid, Hedman and Larsson were physically men. But here's the thing that separates them all. Dahlin in multiple instances basically took over the game, he looked unstoppable as a 16 year old kid. Also wouldn't say that Hedman or Larsson were necessarily better defensively in their draft year.
It has nothing to do with him playing more fancy, there's a reason why us Swedish fans repeatedly aay that he's the greatest talent coming out of Sweden in the modern era.

As for numbers wise you can't really compare.
Hedman was 15th in scoring by defensemen as a late birthday in his draft season.
08-09 Hedmans stats in 16-17 would mean that he would be the 6th highest scorer by defensemen.

I agree with this post. Dahlin has more of the offensive ability, but not the physique yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad