LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You don't think players trash talk each other on the ice?
I haven't really got a clue what you guys are talking about (has he said something in an interview?), but knowing one of the players on team Sweden I can guarantee that there is a fair amount of trash talking in these bigger games
He had an interview in Swedish (so I'm relying on the translator being honest) where he said that Canada didn't play the game the right way and are divers. From there he said in Sweden they play the game the right way, and it would have been a better game if they played like the Swedes. While seemingly ignoring what he did to get a penalty was a clear penalty.

I have no issues with what he said. I think he's being ridiculous, but he's a highly-competitive 17-year old put in front of a camera after a crushing loss. I don't exactly expect to get rational thought.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
He had an interview in Swedish (so I'm relying on the translator being honest) where he said that Canada didn't play the game the right way and are divers. From there he said in Sweden they play the game the right way, and it would have been a better game if they played like the Swedes. While seemingly ignoring what he did to get a penalty was a clear penalty.

I have no issues with what he said. I think he's being ridiculous, but he's a highly-competitive 17-year old put in front of a camera after a crushing loss. I don't exactly expect to get rational thought.

Well, he was right. Both the Muricans and Canadians did flop around in a pretty embarrassing way in the semis and finals.

Dahlin committed an interference and got penalised for it, deservedly so.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I can't wait to see Dahlin backing up his statement next season and teaching Canadians how to play the right way...... I bet he doesn't say that stuff to any Canadian players face on the ice......
Naaaah, would the big, bad canadian that plays "real gud hockii" smack him in his face then fall to the ground holding his fists, calling for a penalty?

Reactions: Slimmy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, he was right. Both the Muricans and Canadians did flop around in a pretty embarrassing way in the semis and finals.

The notion that Swedes don't dive is what I find pretty ridiculous about his statement. Players from all nations do. It's like the British soccer fans who claim its all mainland euro and South Americans who dive, but have Ashley Young and Steven Gerrard. Or Don Cherry going on for ages about how Canadians don't dive, yet we produced Mike Ribeiro.

Reactions: blindpass

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The notion that Swedes don't dive is what I find pretty ridiculous about his statement. Players from all nations do. It's like the British soccer fans who claim its all mainland euro and South Americans who dive, but have Ashley Young and Steven Gerrard. Or Don Cherry going on for ages about how Canadians don't dive, yet we produced Mike Ribeiro.

The Swedish jwc team did not.

blindpass

May 7, 2010

Sweden. SMH. I thought better of you than this.

Straying dangerously of topic here, but going to be hard to ignore blatant fiction like this.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

This is a ridiculous Appeal of Common Practice. Just because most people do it must make it right to do. Swedish and Finnish players do it less, and are penalized/not rewarded for doing it much more in their youth, junior and professional leagues. Just like football is doing now, Hockey needs to start penalizing embellishment after the fact to clean this practice out before it gets out of hand.

I believe it was Pettersson who hit the ground ridiculously easily on the Timmins play, just as bad as Kyrou, he just didn't get the call.

I dont think those were in the same league, but neither was as bad as Brady Tkachuk falling forward claiming someone pulled him from behind.

Reactions: Matte99

blindpass

May 7, 2010
This is a ridiculous Appeal of Common Practice. Just because most people do it must make it right to do. Swedish and Finnish players do it less, and are penalized/not rewarded for doing it much more in their youth, junior and professional leagues. Just like football is doing now, Hockey needs to start penalizing embellishment after the fact to clean this practice out before it gets out of hand.

I dont think those were in the same league, but neither was as bad as Brady Tkachuk falling forward claiming someone pulled him from behind.
We get it, Swedish shit doesn't stink. Let's move on before this gets ugly(er).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

It wasn't an appeal to common practice. The statement was, that it is ridiculous to claim that Swede's don't dive (which is what he claimed), which it was. I'm not saying diving is acceptable.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Sweden. SMH. I thought better of you than this.

Straying dangerously of topic here, but going to be hard to ignore blatant fiction like this.
Who cares, since you like to generalize a whole country (”Sweden”) b/c of what some people on a hockey forum write.

This is what grinds most of puts and the players gears:

Yes, the swedes took some dumb penalties, but the referee couldve easily taken a few canadian ones as well, if the swedes sold them more. Prior to this championship, american and canadian teams have played hard. I remember the finals in 2009 in Ottawa, where the canadians got away with lots of penalties that the swedes were used to be called for in Sweden. The canadian fans told us swedes that we should learn to play ”real hockey” and dont flop around (Markström for example). This time around, it was the canadian players who chosed to sell themselves out to get penalties, and now that the swedes have grown acustomed to the ”real hard hockey” that canadians plays, it comes to now surprised that they were taken aback by thier will to fall to the ice in so many battles. Kyrou (?) set the standard for that game, sadly.

Reactions: JFG and Matte99

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Who cares, since you like to generalize a whole country (”Sweden”) b/c of what some people on a hockey forum write.

This is what grinds most of puts and the players gears:

Yes, the swedes took some dumb penalties, but the referee couldve easily taken a few canadian ones as well, if the swedes sold them more. Prior to this championship, american and canadian teams have played hard. I remember the finals in 2009 in Ottawa, where the canadians got away with lots of penalties that the swedes were used to be called for in Sweden. The canadian fans told us swedes that we should learn to play ”real hockey” and dont flop around (Markström for example). This time around, it was the canadian players who chosed to sell themselves out to get penalties, and now that the swedes have grown acustomed to the ”real hard hockey” that canadians plays, it comes to now surprised that they were taken aback by thier will to fall to the ice in so many battles. Kyrou (?) set the standard for that game, sadly.
Yes, I shouldn't have generalized. Though what I'm shaking my head at is something I've yet to see any dissent from on the Swedish side. The narrative that Canada dive is quite pathetic. Brannstrom, Pettersson sold things (or tried to), earlier. Not one of the penalties was the result of dive. Do you think Andersson didn't interfere with Kyrou, really? None of the other calls were in any way embellished.

[MOD]

How about explaining why you are editing it? I literally was trying to shift things back on topic with what you removed. Leaving it as you did makes it look like I was rude and being censured.

Last edited:

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Dahlin is extremely talented but he has a serious attitude issue that was on display during the world juniors

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
:huh:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Dahlin came as advertised. Elite defensive talent, the best defenseman in the tournament, and as of now, my number one pick in the draft. What came to view to me this tournament is that Dahlin has trouble with his decision-making sometimes. Not with the puck, or in defensive plays, but he does rule-breaking stuff for no apparent reason. Whether it was slashing in the last few minutes of the game, or the slewfoot which eventually lead to Canada's winning goal, all he needs to do is cut down on the foolish penalties. Outside of that, he was just simply a dynamo at both ends.

Reactions: blindpass

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Dahlin came as advertised. Elite defensive talent, the best defenseman in the tournament, and as of now, my number one pick in the draft. What came to view to me this tournament is that Dahlin has trouble with his decision-making sometimes. Not with the puck, or in defensive plays, but he does rule-breaking stuff for no apparent reason. Whether it was slashing in the last few minutes of the game, or the slewfoot which eventually lead to Canada's winning goal, all he needs to do is cut down on the foolish penalties. Outside of that, he was just simply a dynamo at both ends.

Yeah, that interference/tripping behind the goal was totally unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad