LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Let's come back to earth people.

What are most young men doing at age 18? Getting ready for college, drinking beer illegally, playing XBOX or working at Starbucks.

Rasmus Dahlin left his native Sweden, came to North America and is six points away from being the 2nd highest D scorer at age 18 in NHL history. And he's doing it in a different country than where he was born and raised... away from his parents, family and friends.

And we're on here trying to discredit him in some way by saying, "the first assist he had was routine..." Are you kidding me right now?

What Dahlin is doing this year is remarkable and levels ahead of what Karlsson and Hedman were doing at the same age.

Let's pay this kid his due and stop hating - it's silly.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
My post might be a statement to stat watchers.

Kucherov, McDavids etc, most of their points do not come from magical plays, highlight reel plays, that no one else could do. The play behind most of the points they get could almost anyone do at decent level. So why do they score more than others? Because they are more consistent with it. In 1 single game, even a medicore player can score 5 points, but overtime the better player will score more.

You could do that "statement" to Rantanen and Kappo also, wonder why you do not do that?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kucherov, McDavids etc, most of their points do not come from magical plays, highlight reel plays, that no one else could do. The play behind most of the points they get could almost anyone do at decent level. So why do they score more than others? Because they are more consistent with it. In 1 single game, even a medicore player can score 5 points, but overtime the better player will score more.

You could do that "statement" to Rantanen and Kappo also, wonder why you do not do that?
Why would you compare him to forwards? Compare him to Dmen and you'll get a more favorable comparison.

Dahlin's a great player, but watching him I've notice that he gets a lot of freebies which means that watching stats isn't the best way to evaluate him. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored less next year.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
I was looking at rookie scoring trying to find miro but I had to scroll for a bit. He has really fallen behind in points lately. Must be rough being a fin waking up to new dahlin points every day. Tomorrow is against flyers and I predict 2 new points for the golden boy!

Reactions: Prntscrn

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Why would you compare him to forwards? Compare him to Dmen and you'll get a more favorable comparison.

Dahlin's a great player, but watching him I've notice that he gets a lot of freebies which means that watching stats isn't the best way to evaluate him. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored less next year.
Ah, come on. This is the NHL - "freebies" are few and far between. Even the occasional "bad goal" is often a result of hard work, competitiveness, smart play, etc.

Next year Dahlin will score plenty more, considering he'll be stapled to the top PP. This year he didn't even get PP time early on and he still gets yo-yo'd around on the PP because Housley is a fool.

Name one elite offensive Defenseman who wasn't a fixture on the top PP. Orr, Coffey, Housley, Bourque, MacInnis, Leetch, Lidstrom, Karlsson, Weber, Burns, etc. all had loads of top PP time. Once Dahlin gets that (next year) his production will increase immediately by 15-18%. Then you need to factor in his experience and training in the summer. He'll know what to expect and will have a better handle of NHL play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin scored 55-60 points next year as a 19 year old.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I was looking at rookie scoring trying to find miro but I had to scroll for a bit. He has really fallen behind in points lately. Must be rough being a fin waking up to new dahlin points every day. Tomorrow is against flyers and I predict 2 new points for the golden boy!
Miro's doing great, don't worry. Just like Dahlin is!

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

You did not comprehend what i wrote. Points no matter if it is d-men or forwards do usually not come from plays that only they could do. Points usually comes from being consistent, and the reason I chose Rantanen och Kappo is because i suspect that you are a finnish troll.

So just for him that happen to be a swedish players, stats is not a good way to evaluate him, but i guess it is a good way to evaluate Rantanen and Kappo, they do not get any "freebies". But then we can look at what impact he has had on the team, Buffalo is a now a better team with him on the team.

In 1 game a player can be lucky and get some "freebies", but overtime you can not call it luck. Plus i have watch him to, and he is absolutly a impact player on the ice. Btw he also have 8 goals, is the goals also all freebies?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You did not comprehend what i wrote. Points no matter if it is d-men or forwards do usually not come from plays that only they could do. Points usually comes from being consistent, and the reason I chose Rantanen och Kappo is because i suspect that you are a finnish troll.

So just for him that happen to be a swedish players, stats is not a good way to evaluate him, but i guess it is a good way to evaluate Rantanen and Kappo, they do not get any "freebies". But then we can look at what impact he has had on the team, Buffalo is a now a better team with him on the team.

In 1 game a player can be lucky and get some "freebies", but overtime you can not call it luck. Plus i have watch him to, and he is absolutly a impact player on the ice. Btw he also have 8 goals, is the goals also all freebies?
Wow wow, take it easy. I think Dahlin will be in the hall of fame when his career is over. Also it's Kakko.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Heiskanen still isn't winning the Calder regardless of how much you try to downplay/shit on Dahlin. Time to get over it as it's not exactly an important award in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Mitts888

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Heiskanen still isn't winning the Calder regardless of how much you try to downplay/**** on Dahlin. Time to get over it as it's not exactly an important award in the grand scheme of things.
Oh no, he'll join the likes of Crosby, McDavid, Lidström etc. Together with Rasmus Dahlin. Who cares about Calder? Meaningless award.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Let's come back to earth people.

What are most young men doing at age 18? Getting ready for college, drinking beer illegally, playing XBOX or working at Starbucks.

Rasmus Dahlin left his native Sweden, came to North America and is six points away from being the 2nd highest D scorer at age 18 in NHL history. And he's doing it in a different country than where he was born and raised... away from his parents, family and friends.

And we're on here trying to discredit him in some way by saying, "the first assist he had was routine..." Are you kidding me right now?

What Dahlin is doing this year is remarkable and levels ahead of what Karlsson and Hedman were doing at the same age.

Let's pay this kid his due and stop hating - it's silly.
Who plays XBOX these days?

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Despite all the recent historical season talk, Dahlin has never been close to winning the Calder either.

While Dahlin's point totals are great, they also kind of exaggerate how great he has really been offensively.

You don't really have to do anything other than watch all his points from this season and get a feeling that not many of those points have come from Dahlin doing something great but rather him just being in the right place at the right time to get an assist. I mean, it's not Dahlin's fault he has been a bit lucky with his 17 secondary assists. Every great player needs good supporting cast which Dahlin definately has in Buffalo.

Here we go again with this never-ending cycle of you forcing self-created memes from 2010 that were never funny to people in the first place. o_O
"2018 - and yes, it's easy to apply whenever a finn decides to crash a thread that involves a swede, throwing around every finnish name they can muster. People seem to like it as well :)

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
If you read very closely, you'll notice that it's never me who starts mentioning Miro.
Sure, you just just came in linking videos to his assists the other night, followed up with a sarcastic comment - what contribution. Afterwards, you're trying to clean it up by "you cant just look at stats, Dahlin's great, just like Miro!".

Dance over? Nice

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, since we can't compare Dahlin to forwards, lets compare him to the only notable U19 defenseman who we have the ability to seperate PA, & SA stats for: Aaron Ekblad. Ekblad ended his rookie season with 10PA, & 17SA. Dahlin is on pace for 11-12PA, & 25SA.

Also, NHL.com likes to go by P/60, so here's this season's rookie defensemen leading that stat:

1. Rasmus Dahlin(1.67)
2. Marcus Pettersson(1.14)
3. Miro Heiskanen(1.13)

27 of Pettersson's 64 games this season has been with Anaheim. His production stepped up the moment he came to Pittsburgh, so you'd think if he played for the Pens all season long he'd have further seperated himself from Heiskanen, but obviously still wouldn't be close to Dahlin's monster 1.67. Oh, and too add; Pettersson has the most PA between those 3, with 10 right now.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
What a gong show this thread is. Can't wait to see how people qualify Dahlins points when he passes Orr for 2nd most points as an 18 year old D man.

For all the freebie talk in this thread, explain to me why people like Sobotka and Sheary aren't benefiting from these secondary assists that are being handed out like candy?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
What a gong show this thread is. Can't wait to see how people qualify Dahlins points when he passes Orr for 2nd most points as an 18 year old D man.

For all the freebie talk in this thread, explain to me why people like Sobotka and Sheary aren't benefiting from these secondary assists that are being handed out like candy?
Because they aren't playing D position with the best players on the team?

I think Dahlin will score around 20 points next year.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Well since he will be stronger which means he will get quicker and his shot will improve which it has after the all star break I find what you just said very bizarre sounds like you have an agenda.Also he will be on PP 1 all year next year and the young players around him will continue to get better I would be stunned if he didn't put up 60 plus next year.His ability to hit the open man and his stickhsndling, shiftiness are unprecedented for someone so young.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Because they aren't playing D position with the best players on the team?

I think Dahlin will score around 20 points next year.

So you think he will have a season ending injury in his 30th game or so? Got it. For reference. How many points do you think Heiskanen will get next season.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
So you think he will have a season ending injury in his 30th game or so? Got it. For reference. How many points do you think Heiskanen will get next season.
2 empty net goals and 18 secondary assists on the power play is a realistic projection, i think.

I am joking, of course. I think he's great and he'll continue being great. As I've already said. Very skilled with the puck, flashy boy.

Reactions: Thorton02

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
You got to feel for the Finns though, for once they get a great defensemen prospect but still getting overshined by a Swede, that's got to hurt.
I really would hold my horses before saying Dahling is outshining Heiskanen. :thumbu: Unless we are talking about the media hype in general and not how the players look when going face to face.

I get it that most posters will immediately call me biased for saying this but I don't think Dahlin does anything better than Heiskanen other than play with better support cast. And it's the only reason why Dahlin is leading Heiskanen in points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad