LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Vancouver should stop taking people from Michigan. Kesler turned into a hot mess as well.

Red wings got lucky getting Yzerman from B.C. Y'all ain't gonna get the same kind of player from Michigan. Hughes is the next Torey Krug. Good player, but not a perennial all star
Why the hate on Michigan? They produce some very good talent. I'm sure you would like to have Larkin, Werenski, or Trouba on your team

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Vancouver should stop taking people from Michigan. Kesler turned into a hot mess as well.

Red wings got lucky getting Yzerman from B.C. Y'all ain't gonna get the same kind of player from Michigan. Hughes is the next Torey Krug. Good player, but not a perennial all star

Kesler put up 40 goals and won the Selke for us in the same year what the f*** are you talking about

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

This comment makes ZERO sense.

First off Kesler didn't go michigan, he went to Ohio State
Or unless you are referring to people from Michigan which quinn hughes isnt even from.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

What in the world is this? Honestly one of the dumbest things i've read on these boards from top ta bottom

lawrence

May 19, 2012

?????? Hughes is not from Michigan smartass. He's from Florida and grew up in Ontario.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The amount of this post that is half-true is pretty astonishing. Steve Yzerman was raised in Ottawa, Quinn Hughes was raised primarily in Toronto, and Ryan Kesler while from Michigan, played at Ohio State.

I'd also add, Mike Modano and Pat Lafontaine while not on Yzerman's tier, were pretty damn close at the times their careers overlapped. If you are going to brag about BC players, at least mention someone actually raised there like Joe Sakic.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This comment makes ZERO sense.

First off Kesler didn't go michigan, he went to Ohio State
Or unless you are referring to people from Michigan which quinn hughes isnt even from.
2332c1cbdd206b26de00c196eaff7e78.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't mind Hughes making the jump to pro, although I still firmly believe he'll start the year off in the AHL.
Agreed. Everyone gets hung up on making the team out of camp. There is nothing wrong with guys like Hughes, Gaudette, and possibly Dahlen starting in Utica for a month or so before making the jump. The Canucks lose so many man games due to injury that if you prove it in the AHL, you will get your chance in the NHL before long.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I see a great minute munching 30 min a night dman that will play a lot of keep away with the puck , I just don't see a ton of offence from him , 40 to 45 points a season . I think he needs to work on making quicker choices with the puck as well , as he seems hesitant a lot of the time , it does not hinder his team though as he protects the puck well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I had no idea Hughes was raised mostly in Ontario.

Why isn't he playing for Canada then?

His dad was on the Toronto Maple leafs scouting team. No joke.

well he's american. It's more why isn't Nylander playing for Canada as he was born and raised in Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
His dad was on the Toronto Maple leafs scouting team. No joke.

well he's american. It's more why isn't Nylander playing for Canada as he was born and raised in Canada.
Gotcha, thanks.

Shame we couldn't have got him as a duel and picked this kid off.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Late birthdays skew such stats. They essentially only compete against other late birthdays considering how huge an advantage it is, if you seriously want to use "2 years before draft eligibility" as some benchmark(you should not). Colby Cohen for instance is a total bust who scored very high pre-draft in USHL(indeed, not a late birthday).

Still, McAvoy did score less so that's a notch on his belt. But using "draft-x" arguments for late birthday players is extraordinarily misleading, it's borderline clickbait practice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
mistake.

His dad was a directer of player development with the Leafs.
He was also an assistant on the Marlies prior to that.

If he was on scouting staff, it doesn't really matter. For example, a bunch of NHL scouting directors live in Toronto/southern Ontario area because it is one of the easiest areas to operate from (short drive to OHL, QMJHL and Big 10 games, and not terrible for USHL, NCHC, and Hockey-East). All regional scouts live in the area they are assigned, or at least very close to it. But, other teams have head guys who live in BC (for example, I'm pretty sure Tyler Wright of the Wings is based there).

Last edited:
Reactions: lawrence

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If this were true he would have just went 2nd overall not 7th.

This is the kind of unfair overrating I alluded to earlier. Examples of fanbase that don't overrate their prospects were asked for... Avs fans don't realistically think Makar will be a top 5 D-Men and he is exactly on par with hughes as a prospect.

I don't understand how Makar is on Par with Hughes. Hughes had a better season and is a year younger as well.

Age 17 and 18 Makar vs Hughes age 17 and 18. Not much of a debate that Hughes is a step above at the same age. Age 18 Hughes vs Age 19 Hughes was better as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One thing I see often after a draft that I dislike is when fans all of a sudden start pumping up the prospect their team drafted to be much better than they actually are. If thats your stance before your team drafted the player, fair play. But stay consistent.

I think the winner for worst over-hyping after this draft is the Vancouver fan base. Some of these comments sound absolutely insane.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
One thing I see often after a draft that I dislike is when fans all of a sudden start pumping up the prospect their team drafted to be much better than they actually are. If thats your stance before your team drafted the player, fair play. But stay consistent.

I think the winner for worst over-hyping after this draft is the Vancouver fan base. Some of these comments sound absolutely insane.

Their top 3 D prospects after Hughes is Juolevi , Brisebois and Chatfield lol. They havent taken a dman in the first beside Juolevi since Bourdon in 2005. They dont know what to do with this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad