LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph (2017, 23rd, ARZ; traded to PIT)

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Is Mattias Ekholm still an accurate comparison?

He looks more like Brian Dumoulin when Dumo first came up, smooth, steady, calm, great skater, good outlet pass, solid in his own end, doesn't make a lot of mistakes or miscues.

Has a way better shot then Dumo ever had though.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Looked pretty good. Got the opportunity and flourished tonight. Impressive

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Scored his first goal last night with a great shot. The Dumoulin comparison is apt from what I've seen, but it seems like he's much more aggressive in joining the rush, and has a better shot as well.

from reading early posts in this thread, people's projections seem pretty spot on

Reactions: Dominance

P10p

May 15, 2012
Came from the Wild's first rounder in the Hanzal trade iirc :(

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He looks right up there with Miller and Smith in this years rookie defensive crop thus far - arguably even more important to his team at the moment with injuries. His last three games TOI: 26 minutes, 26 minutes, 22 minutes.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
3g 7A 10p in 14gp in the AHL this year.

looked outstanding in his brief stint last year in the NHL.

Can anyone speak to how his play has actually looked this year? Pens fans, do you think he gets a call up and sticks eventually? He cant be worse than Matheson and Marino can he?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Can anyone speak to how his play has actually looked this year? Pens fans, do you think he gets a call up and sticks eventually? He cant be worse than Matheson and Marino can he?
Matheson and Marino are not bad defenseman in my opinion. Both guys have great skating and a Marino still has great potential. PO is the victim of too many one-way contacts on D.

PO Joseph is a good defenseman but he won’t get a real opportunity until next year. He has decent offensive ability but I don’t necessarily see him as any more than a 4-5 a D.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Matheson and Marino are not bad defenseman in my opinion. Both guys have great skating and a Marino still has great potential. PO is the victim of too many one-way contacts on D.

PO Joseph is a good defenseman but he won’t get a real opportunity until next year. He has decent offensive ability but I don’t necessarily see him as any more than a 4-5 a D.
Well, he sure looked like more than a 4-5 D when he filled in last year

edit: made the comments about matheson and Marino because I always seem to see Pens fans shredding these guys apart lol

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Last year after he was sent back to the AHL he added some nastiness and more physicality to his game.

This year he still has it, but has been going about it smarter. He plays in all situations and I've yet to notice any glaring mistakes. Offensively, I've only seen him standout maybe a couple of games this season. But stats-wise he is clearly producing. I'd have liked to see WBS use him on the right side for the heck of it, but they've yet to do that.

Personally, I think he should be in the NHL this season rotating in. Get him some playing time, some practice with NHLers, and have him learn from the press box when he's scratched. But the team has a desire/need to only have LHD-RHD pairings. Plus their amount of players on an NHL contract.

I see his ceiling as a two-way middle d-man. And his floor as a complimentary bottom d-man. With "complimentary" just being a lesser skilled version of the two-way player. Kinda just existing without harming anything.

Oddly enough, I pay way more attention to detail with the AHL games since I feel like I'm one of the few that watch them. For his NHL performance this year you'll have to ask someone else. :laugh:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Last year after he was sent back to the AHL he added some nastiness and more physicality to his game.

This year he still has it, but has been going about it smarter. He plays in all situations and I've yet to notice any glaring mistakes. Offensively, I've only seen him standout maybe a couple of games this season. But stats-wise he is clearly producing. I'd have liked to see WBS use him on the right side for the heck of it, but they've yet to do that.

Personally, I think he should be in the NHL this season rotating in. Get him some playing time, some practice with NHLers, and have him learn from the press box when he's scratched. But the team has a desire/need to only have LHD-RHD pairings. Plus their amount of players on an NHL contract.

I see his ceiling as a two-way middle d-man. And his floor as a complimentary bottom d-man. With "complimentary" just being a lesser skilled version of the two-way player. Kinda just existing without harming anything.

Oddly enough, I pay way more attention to detail with the AHL games since I feel like I'm one of the few that watch them. For his NHL performance this year you'll have to ask someone else. :laugh:
Tha me for this Randy! Appreciate all the insight :)!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad