LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Who asked?
tenor.gif

Did you only read one post in the thread?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
So the Holland announcement either boils down to:
1. We are incompetent and let one of our best prospects play with significant injuries, potentially exposing him to worse injury and longer rehab time
or
2. We are lying to try and lessen negative public perception of our highly touted prospect who played poorly on the big stage.

Not a flattering choice. Why even bother releasing that information...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
1. We are incompetent and let one of our best prospects play with significant injuries, potentially exposing him to worse injury and longer rehab time
or
2. We are lying to try and lessen negative public perception of our highly touted prospect who played poorly on the big stage.

There is about a zero percent chance Holland would lie about something like that.

Likewise, how do you know the Oilers doctors looked at him? Presumably no one else was allowed in the bubble without having to quarantine.

Seems like a bit of a false dilemma when neither option could be the case.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
There is about a zero percent chance Holland would lie about something like that.

Likewise, how do you know the Oilers doctors looked at him? Presumably no one else was allowed in the bubble without having to quarantine.

Seems like a bit of a false dilemma when neither option could be the case.

It would be dramatically incompetent for the Oilers to allow their top prospect to play with a potential injury. The player was in Edmonton. You're telling me the Oilers Doctors were not at all involved in the decision to let him play? I think that's incompetent if that's the case.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It would be dramatically incompetent for the Oilers to allow their top prospect to play with a potential injury. The player was in Edmonton. You're telling me the Oilers Doctors were not at all involved in the decision to let him play? I think that's incompetent if that's the case.

What if they were relying on reports from the Swedish doctors? I’m not certain they would have been allowed inside the bubble after it was “closed” so to speak once the tournament began. Again, I have no idea if they were or weren’t, I’d suspect probably not but they may have been.

In any event, I’m not happy that he played with those type of severe injuries. Not just one, but two of them.

I’m just not certain the culpability the Oilers doctors would have at this point. More needs to obviously be found out because it’s totally unacceptable that he was playing with those types of injuries. As in completely and totally unacceptable that he was playing with those types of injuries.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
What if they were relying on reports from the Swedish doctors? I’m not certain they would have been allowed inside the bubble after it was “closed” so to speak once the tournament began. Again, I have no idea if they were or weren’t, I’d suspect probably not but they may have been.

In any event, I’m not happy that he played with those type of severe injuries. Not just one, but two of them.

I’m just not certain the culpability the Oilers doctors would have at this point. More needs to obviously be found out because it’s totally unacceptable that he was playing with those types of injuries. As in completely and totally unacceptable that he was playing with those types of injuries.

I am not saying the Oilers' Drs should be culpable. Just that there is an incredible organizational breakdown that occurred here, imo. Looking at the Dach injury as an example, the minute he was injured Blackhawks drs were involved in coming up with next steps and solution, whether directly or indirectly. Why would this have been different in the case of the oilers? Kirby Dach sidelined for 4 to 5 months after wrist injury at World Juniors: Blackhawks
Here's an article discussing Dach's injury. He was injured wednesday and was back in Chicago with the surgery completed by the following Monday.
This tournament happened in Edmonton. If the oilers were doing their diligence on their top prospect, they would be in contact with the Sweden team drs. I disagree that team drs probably werent in the bubble- I imagine because of team facilities that it's very possible the Oilers team drs were the on hand drs for the tournament. Even if they were, team drs should have been in contact with Sweden team drs to ensure prospect health and success. Thats their job.
So who said it was ok for Broberg to keep playing? If the answer is Broberg, that points to further organizational incompetence. He's a teenager who shouldnt get to make decisions like this.
If it's the team sweden Dr not communicating correctly with the team that should be identified. Otherwise this is terrible incompetence.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am not saying the Oilers' Drs should be culpable. Just that there is an incredible organizational breakdown that occurred here, imo. Looking at the Dach injury as an example, the minute he was injured Blackhawks drs were involved in coming up with next steps and solution, whether directly or indirectly. Why would this have been different in the case of the oilers? Kirby Dach sidelined for 4 to 5 months after wrist injury at World Juniors: Blackhawks
Here's an article discussing Dach's injury. He was injured wednesday and was back in Chicago with the surgery completed by the following Monday.
This tournament happened in Edmonton. If the oilers were doing their diligence on their top prospect, they would be in contact with the Sweden team drs. I disagree that team drs probably werent in the bubble- I imagine because of team facilities that it's very possible the Oilers team drs were the on hand drs for the tournament. Even if they were, team drs should have been in contact with Sweden team drs to ensure prospect health and success. Thats their job.
So who said it was ok for Broberg to keep playing? If the answer is Broberg, that points to further organizational incompetence. He's a teenager who shouldnt get to make decisions like this.
If it's the team sweden Dr not communicating correctly with the team that should be identified. Otherwise this is terrible incompetence.
Was Broberg going to play with the Oilers this season anyway though?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
For defenseman I would take Byram and Drysdale over him, Sanderson is on par with him overall as well imo. That's only Canada/USA. If we are talking about forwards there are more as well.
Wait, are you saying those 3 defenseman are superior skaters than Broberg? :laugh:

I think you need to watch a healthy Broberg play, and not limit your opinion solely on the WJ's like 90% of HF is doing

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
or

Why would he lie? Anyone who has two eyes and a brain and has watched Broberg when healthy, could clearly tell his skating was extremely labored.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
or

Username checks out

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
I thought it was very revealing that when his skating was taken away and he has to survive with his IQ and thinking part of the game that Broberg failed miserably.

This has always been the knock on him and what opponents try to expose and exploit.

I’m not sure what is best for his development to learn that part of hockey but it’s nowhere near NHL ready.

hope the Oilers don’t rush him and totally ruin his confidence

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought it was very revealing that when his skating was taken away and he has to survive with his IQ and thinking part of the game that Broberg failed miserably.

This has always been the knock on him and what opponents try to expose and exploit.

I’m not sure what is best for his development to learn that part of hockey but it’s nowhere near NHL ready.

hope the Oilers don’t rush him and totally ruin his confidence
Did you miss the part where he had a partially separated shoulder? Alot more than his skating was taken from him.

Reactions: ujju2

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Are you an Oiler fan? Because that definitely isn't true.

For defenseman I would take Byram and Drysdale over him, Sanderson is on par with him overall as well imo. That's only Canada/USA. If we are talking about forwards there are more as well.

Even in his draft year Broberg was regarded as a better skater than Byram. He obviously isn't the same level a prospect, but his skating is superior to all three of the defensemen you listed.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Injuries aside I think calling Broberg's WJC performance bad is a grave overstatement. He had a couple of rough moments and got beat wide a few times which is unusual for him. But overall he was ok with some highlights and some iffy. Clearly bothered by his injuries but he still defended better than most of the swedish D on a disjointed team.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Once he's loaned out, It's not the Oilers call to make him sit or play, its the Sweden's coaches/management. He cannot be pulled out either.
Atleast do some research before talking about incompetence lol, its pretty ironic

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Broberg is not a better all around skater than Drysdale, don't kid yourself. North/Speed he might be ALITTLE faster but everything else Drysdale is better at.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Broberg is not a better all around skater than Drysdale, don't kid yourself. North/Speed he might be ALITTLE faster but everything else Drysdale is better at.

FFS...I don't get why some people on HFBoards talk about Drysdale's skating like people talked about Paul Coffey in the 1980's. He's not head and shoulders above the pack in terms of quality.

Drysdale is a great skater who was top 5 in his draft class. He, however, is not THE BEST skater in that draft. Not even in the OHL. Not at the WJC.

Broberg is also a great skater who was top 5 in his draft class. He is faster than Drysdale but maybe slightly less agile. That doesn't mean he isn't as good a skater as Drysdale.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Considering Broberg is six inches taller, and 40 pounds heavier than .drysdale, he’s going to appear to be not as quick.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oilers fans are always willing to forgive and explain away incompetence! Without fail.
I dont think Flames and their fans are the one who should call other teams prospect development incompetent. Few team have wasted more 1 rounders than Flames over the last decade..

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Really? Like who?

Shall we start from lets say 2011 (had none 2010)

2011: Baertschi - AHL-fodder
2012: Jankowski - Lol
2013: Monahan top-6 center (so good) and want me to mention the 2 other picks?
2014: Bennett - Well you would wish for more when you pick at 4
2015: none
2016: Cant miss everytime so, well done
2017: Valamäki - I think this will be good in the end
2018: None

2019-2020 to soon.

So between 2011-2018 they made 1 really good pick and 1 solid. Rest well..

I think Oilers have done better if you don´t count the 1 overalls, Klefbom, Drai, Nurse, but if you add the first, well worse I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad