LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Broberg had an extremely poor showing at the WJC but you can't title the kid for it. He was playing injured and if we judged everyone by how they did at this tournament Jordan Schroeder would of been a superstar

I don't think it was an extremely poor showing, he had a great first game but was pretty meh after that. He got beat wide too often, (Which is very likely because of his injury, he's normally a great skater), but apart from that he wasn't terrible defensively.

Pretty irressponsible to play Broberg at all tbh. He lost value, he lost time and he lost...hype? Maybe it was SIHA/SAIKs plan all along.

Yeah it was definitely a bad decision to play Broberg, but he shouldn't have lost hype after that tournament. He certainly has here on HF, but that's because the majority of posters here only watch the WJC and form their opinions on players entirely based on them.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I don't think it was an extremely poor showing, he had a great first game but was pretty meh after that. He got beat wide too often, (Which is very likely because of his injury, he's normally a great skater), but apart from that he wasn't terrible defensively.

Yeah it was definitely a bad decision to play Broberg, but he shouldn't have lost hype after that tournament. He certainly has here on HF, but that's because the majority of posters here only watch the WJC and form their opinions on players entirely based on them.
Yes ofc, but I've watched him in the SHL as well and ofc I have some concerns from his play there

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Hard not to lose hype considering where Oiler fans got him ranked in the "prospect rankings" here at HF after his hot start to the SHL season.

Almost everyone else knew the offense he was putting up (which was being cited as the reason for his high ranking) wasn't sustainable.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Pretty irressponsible to play Broberg at all tbh. He lost value, he lost time and he lost...hype? Maybe it was SIHA/SAIKs plan all along.
He is already drafted. What hype and value lol? The Oilers value him. Idiotic that he was playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
What a serious unnecessary risk. Why risk a complete tear of the knee, and knee surgery. Could of cost him his only elite asset.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That explains the skating issues many were noticing given what a fantastic and smooth skater he is.

Tough kid trying to gut it out for his team.
Yeah, when you have the guy looking like he's the only guy in the world that can skate with McDavid in play in camps, and then looking slow at the WJC you can tell something isn't quite right.

Him playing the WJC with a bum knee and a bum shoulder is kind of unacceptable tbh. Like.... Literally you can't shoot, skate, pass, or initiate contact at all without feeling pain or hesitation. One of those injuries frequently makes guys look awful. Both at the same time? Wtf...

Not sure who greenlit that decision, but it's shoddy as f***. Extremely poor choice from a development point of view and from a "let's win Sweden a medal" point of view. But whomever made that call needs to take a serious look in the mirror.

Reactions: 780il and snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

What a warrior, I admire the kids courage and gutsiness to play, those who have watched him play lots knew something serious was wrong with him impacting his skating.

I got to ask though, where are the adults in this situation? The kid clearly should have been pulled from the ice and not played after suffering those injuries.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What a warrior, I admire the kids courage and gutsiness to play, those who have watched him play lots knew something serious was wrong with him impacting his skating.

I got to ask though, where are the adults in this situation? The kid clearly should have been pulled from the ice and not played after suffering those injuries.
For real... it's not like he was helping the team... at all he was getting blown by every play it was clear he was injured.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For real... it's not like he was helping the team... at all he was getting blown by every play it was clear he was injured.

When healthy he was probably the best skater at that tournament, it was very apparent that something was wrong with his skating. Broberg is an exceptional skater.

Pretty sickening that he was allowed to continue to play with a tear above his knee and a separated shoulder.

It speaks well on the kid that he wanted to be out there for his team and willing to play through that much obvious pain, but someone should have made the decision for him that he could not play.

Whoever gave the go ahead for him on the Swedish national team should be in the hot seat for that decision.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When healthy he was probably the best skater at that tournament, it was very apparent that something was wrong with his skating. Broberg is an exceptional skater.

Pretty sickening that he was allowed to continue to play with a tear above his knee and a separated shoulder.

It speaks good on the well on the kid that he wanted to be out there for his team and willing to play through that much obvious pain, but someone should have made the decision for him that he could not play.

Whoever gave the go ahead for him on the Swedish national team should be in the hot seat for that decision.

Not just the Swedish national team, the Oilers too. Especially given the Klefbom situation. These are both injuries that nag a guy for their entire career.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

It speaks well on the kid that he wanted to be out there for his team and willing to play through that much obvious pain, but someone should have made the decision for him that he could not play.

Are you an Oiler fan? Because that definitely isn't true.

Reactions: lawrence

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Actually Broberg is a beautiful skater. It’s not his legs that are concerning. For him it’s more about thinking the game. He’s definitely going to be able to skate better than most NHL players. He does that already. If his thinking can catch up with his feet, he’s going to be fantastic. He’s almost the opposite of Bouchard, who thinks the game great, but struggles to keep up with the skating.

Reactions: dss97 and snipes

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

He wasn't healthy this year.

He was the Oilers second best skater aside from McDavid at the play-in camp just a couple short months ago. he was skating circles around guys like Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent Hopkins. He was faster at rushing the puck than Darnell Nurse. At this tournament, he would have been one of, if not the best skater there no question if he was healthy.

Instead he was noticably the slowest guy on the ice.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Name some players in the tournament that were better skaters than a healthy Broberg.

You'll be waiting a long time. Healthy Broberg is an absolutely fantastic skater and easily one of the best if not the best skater from the players at the last WJC.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
For defenseman I would take Byram and Drysdale over him, Sanderson is on par with him overall as well imo. That's only Canada/USA. If we are talking about forwards there are more as well.

Reactions: Flameshomer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad