LD Noah Hanifin - Boston College, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Hanifin's not going to undo what those guys have done at the NCAA level. He'll step in and get enough minutes and responsibility to justify leaving NTDP.

He's still rapidly improving, so attempts to project him right now may underscore his top end even though he is justifiably hyped high enough.

Yup.

I think sometimes people confuse skill/potential with level of play at a finite moment. Even the most skilled players will, at a young age, be 'out played' by older/bigger competition (when they're 16, 17 yrs old). For example, Connor McDavid was outscored on his own team this year by Dane Fox and Connor Brown. Lol, does anyone on planet think Brown and Fox will be better than McDavid (if either sees much NHL time...which is up in the air). Obv. not.

I don't watch a ton of NCAA games - they're hard to get in Toronto - but the 'level' or ranking on the 'd depth chart' that Hanifin steps in at really has no relevance to his level of potential.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Are you out of your mind ?

Hanafin is an unreal talent and has the CHANCE to be a very very good pro player.

He is NO WHERE near Santini or McCoshen defensively and not as good as Matheson right now.

In 3-5 years, he has a chance to be better than anyone invited to camp.

He's 17 and he's probably never going be better than Troubs/Jones

what????

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Are you out of your mind ?

Hanafin is an unreal talent and has the CHANCE to be a very very good pro player.

He is NO WHERE near Santini or McCoshen defensively and not as good as Matheson right now.

In 3-5 years, he has a chance to be better than anyone invited to camp.

He's 17 and he's probably never going be better than Troubs/Jones

Don't worry about Hanifin he's 6'3 210 skates like the wind with an exceptional hockey IQ.... I'm sure coach York has a plan for him and it's certainly won't be sitting on the bench.... Also he may not be as good as Matheson right now but let's continue this discussion at Christmas and reevaluate your depth chart...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How does he stack up against the likes of Jones or Ekblad?

Better than Ekblad for sure. I think he could be better than Jones but he's about the same level right now. He is a "year" younger than Jones (as in Jones was a late birthday) though.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This draft reminds me of 2004... A clear cut #1 (Ovie/McDavid) but the 2nd overall pick would be a solid #1 pick in pretty any other draft (Malkin/Eichel).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Given Hanifin was ignored re the US U20 summer camp, I assume his exit from NTDP is a done deal. Has he made any statement confirming it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Any more info out there yet? Is he going to BC in the fall or what?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I was wondering the same thing. Why is it so long before they confirm he's joining BC?

Ditto. Maybe there's a chance he goes to the Q? I think wherever he goes he will be a stud and a surefire top 5 pick, still think its too early to give him the top 3 nod.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Ditto. Maybe there's a chance he goes to the Q? I think wherever he goes he will be a stud and a surefire top 5 pick, still think its too early to give him the top 3 nod.

I was thinking maybe he isn't eligible yet academically but will be by the end of the summer. Does it make sense?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why was he not at the US camp?

USAH usually doesn't invite underage players to the summer camp, especially d-men, although forward Auston Matthews is there. Seth Jones was the last underage d-man to get invited. Trouba wasn't invited as an underage player to the summer camp but he ended up receiving an invite to the December camp and making the team.

He should be there. Why is he? No one knows for sure, it's all been speculation. USAH, like any entity, makes some weird decisions. Jack Eichel didn't receive an invite to last year's summer camp even though everyone knew he'd be on the team and playing a significant role, as was the case. I'd be very surprised if Hanifin is not at the December camp when it matters.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

There is a good chance with the quality of forwards he could fall out of the top 3 even if he performs great this year. Defensemen almost always go after franchise level forwards.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
USAH usually doesn't invite underage players to the summer camp, especially d-men, although forward Auston Matthews is there. Seth Jones was the last underage d-man to get invited. Trouba wasn't invited as an underage player to the summer camp but he ended up receiving an invite to the December camp and making the team.

He should be there. Why is he? No one knows for sure, it's all been speculation. USAH, like any entity, makes some weird decisions. Jack Eichel didn't receive an invite to last year's summer camp even though everyone knew he'd be on the team and playing a significant role, as was the case. I'd be very surprised if Hanifin is not at the December camp when it matters.

The only explanation I can think of for not including Hanifin in camp would be to bring him back down to earth. Im saying this purely as a speculative theory, not because I have any inside info on the matter. He's been touted as the next great defenseman, moved up to U18s and dominated, going to college a year early. Maybe USA Hockey thought they needed to keep things from moving too quickly and maybe challenge him.

I think he has to make the team come December. From all reports this USA team could be scary skilled up front. The defense lacks dynamic star power. Hanifin and DeAngelo would deliver that. IF the BEST players are chosen, US could be the favorites at the WJC.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The only explanation I can think of for not including Hanifin in camp would be to bring him back down to earth. Im saying this purely as a speculative theory, not because I have any inside info on the matter. He's been touted as the next great defenseman, moved up to U18s and dominated, going to college a year early. Maybe USA Hockey thought they needed to keep things from moving too quickly and maybe challenge him.

I think he has to make the team come December. From all reports this USA team could be scary skilled up front. The defense lacks dynamic star power. Hanifin and DeAngelo would deliver that. IF the BEST players are chosen, US could be the favorites at the WJC.

No, its just well known that USA rarely invites under agers to their camp. Jack Eichel wasn't invited last year but it was well known during the camp he would be a top 6 guy at the WJC

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
No, its just well known that USA rarely invites under agers to their camp. Jack Eichel wasn't invited last year but it was well known during the camp he would be a top 6 guy at the WJC

Hanifin may go right after Eichel in the 2015 NHL Draft. Hanifin is in another class than Carlo. He's more highly regarded than Connor. Matthews is the forward version of Hanifin a year younger.

These are all underagers like Hanifin who were invited.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hanifin may go right after Eichel in the 2015 NHL Draft. Hanifin is in another class than Carlo. He's more highly regarded than Connor. Matthews is the forward version of Hanifin a year younger.

These are all underagers like Hanifin who were invited.

The term underage in reference to the WJC is based on WJC eligibility (determined by year of birth) not draft year. As a '97, Matthews is the only underager at camp.

Last edited:

thething

Jul 28, 2014
This draft reminds me of 2004... A clear cut #1 (Ovie/McDavid) but the 2nd overall pick would be a solid #1 pick in pretty any other draft (Malkin/Eichel).

Yea it does feel like 2004. Mcdavid vs Eichel also feels like the Taylor vs Tyler saga of 2010.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I wouldn't be surprised to see Werenski in the top 5 either. He played in Hanifin's shadow. Any other year, he would be really hyped as a US defenseman. Like Hanifin, it will really depend how they play as 17 year olds in the NCAA.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I wouldn't be surprised to see Werenski in the top 5 either. He played in Hanifin's shadow. Any other year, he would be really hyped as a US defenseman. Like Hanifin, it will really depend how they play as 17 year olds in the NCAA.

The US talent this year is insane. Werenski, Conor, White, Hanifin and Eichel could all go top 10

Oct 18, 2011
I dunno, once Hanifin starts to get more exposure, I think he'll start to be grouped with them.

Hanifin is a franchise defenseman. Every team picking in the top 3 is going to be happy this year.

just a personal philosophy but generally i hate picking dmen that high unless there is a very high probability they are going to not just anchor your blueline but have a chance to be first or second team all NHL

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
just a personal philosophy but generally i hate picking dmen that high unless there is a very high probability they are going to not just anchor your blueline but have a chance to be first or second team all NHL

I agree completely, I hate takin D-men first. Ekblad wasn't even in my top-5 in 2014. However, Hanifin (and probably Kylington) are two huge exceptions to the rule.

I'm probably biased in his favor, but Hanifin just blew me away at the U18, and I just don't see a single way he isn't a star. He has size, skating, hockey IQ, puck skills, a great stick, maturity, and leadership. He's so safe, and yet his high-end physical skills and puck-rushing ability give him huge upside. I'd happily take him #1 in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad