LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
It sounds like he's a lot like Juolevi. How Miro compared to him? His numbers look quite impressive for his age.

junglefinn

Oct 21, 2009
This kid is amazing! Has been the best defender overall for the IFK Helsinki so far and trust me, I have watched all of their games because I'm a huge fan.

Haven't seen that good defender in a long, long time when you count that he's only 17 years old!

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Saw him first time playing yesterday and i got to say he impressed me. Also looks bigger than the listed height 6'0.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What are the chances he will appear in WJC? Finland's D is already stacked in 2017.

He is a lock. Was the #1 D-man at the U20 Summer Showcase few months back.

Juolevi-Saarijärvi
Niemeläinen-Heiskanen
Välimäki-Jokiharju
Parikka/Vaakanainen/Salo

Or something like that.

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Miro Heiskanen scored HIFK's opening goal tonight's home game against Lahden Pelicans.
Video of that goal comes later.

How would you (or anyone else that has seen them play), rank the 5 Finnish defenders (Vaakanainen, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Salo and Jokiharju)?

Last edited:

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
How would you (or anyone else that has seen them play), rank the 4 Finnish defenders (Vaakanainen, Valimaki, Heiskanen, and Jokiharju)?
I think Vaakanainen, Välimäki and Heiskanen are going on 1. round. Can't but them in any order though.

But if you are interested on what type of a players they are I'd say that Heiskanen plays a lot like Olli Määttä. Really smart player, always seems to make plays which are benefiting his team. He already plays in HIFK:s 1st powerplay unit, which is really rare from a 17 year old defenceman. On powerplay he reminds me of Kimmo Timonen. Has that same type of pose like Kimmo did.

Vaakanainen is more physical player. He already wins 1-on-1 battles against grown men, when Heiskanen tends to rely on his smarts.

Can't say anything about Välimäki because he hasn't played in Liiga and left to North America 2 years ago. Only time when I've seen his games was last U18 WJC. Same thing with Jokiharju.

We also have Robert Salo who is projected to be a late 1. round pick or 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think Vaakanainen, Välimäki and Heiskanen are going on 1. round. Can't but them in any order though.

But if you are interested on what type of a players they are I'd say that Heiskanen plays a lot like Olli Määttä. Really smart player, always seems to make plays which are benefiting his team. He already plays in HIFK:s 1st powerplay unit, which is really rare from a 17 year old defenceman. On powerplay he reminds me of Kimmo Timonen. Has that same type of pose like Kimmo did.

Vaakanainen is more physical player. He already wins 1-on-1 battles against grown men, when Heiskanen tends to rely on his smarts.

Can't say anything about Välimäki because he hasn't played in Liiga and left to North America 2 years ago. Only time when I've seen his games was last U18 WJC. Same thing with Jokiharju.

We also have Robert Salo who is projected to be a late 1. round pick or 2nd rounder.

Right, I forgot about Salo. Thanks for the information!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

It's Robin Salo, Robert Salo is Robin's father.
Also i won't compare Heiskanen to Määttä because he isn't all-round dman like Olli.

Miro Heiskanen is puck-moving defenseman and reminds a lot of Kimmo Timonen as you said.
Yeah it's really rare situation when 17 yrs old plays 1st powerplay unit in one of the best teams in liiga.

Heiskanen has earned those minutes what he gets in powerplay.
Tommi Taimi has been huge disappointment this season and Teemu Eronen hasn't been so good as expected.

But truth is HIFK is one of the weakest powerplay teams in liiga at the moment.
That's great to see Törmänen really trusts for Heiskanen and gives him minutes in powerplay also.

Last edited:

Cumina

Sep 26, 2016
View attachment 92531

Here's the advanced stats for the HIFK d-men.

GP, Corsi, Corsi Close, percentage of offensive-zone starts, 5-on-5 shooting %, 5-on-5 saves %, PDO.

Not bad for a kid who just turned 17.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Got my first live viewing of him on friday against Russia and came away impressed. Was named Player Of The Game for Finland and just had an overall quiet but solid game. His skating really is something special and you can tell he is a smart player. Liked him quite a bit more than both Salo and Vaakanainen. Surprised he isn't ranked higher on most lists. ISS didn't even have him in their top31 :huh:

Think he could be a top10 pick when it's all said and done.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Miro Heiskanen played tonight his first game after November's national team break.
HIFK won Ilves 3-1 and Miro logged ice-time 23:01 also he got an assist to HIFK's 3rd goal ( Hintz scored in powerplay).

Heiskanen was sidelined in 2 games ( Ässät and Kalpa) last week for unknown reason. But probably it was just normal rotation or just a flu.
HIFK hasn't announced further details why Heiskanen didn't play last week.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Miro Heiskanen played tonight his first game after November's national team break.
HIFK won Ilves 3-1 and Miro logged ice-time 23:01 also he got an assist to HIFK's 3rd goal ( Hintz scored in powerplay).

Heiskanen was sidelined in 2 games ( Ässät and Kalpa) last week for unknown reason. But probably it was just normal rotation or just a flu.
HIFK hasn't announced further details why Heiskanen didn't play last week.

I've heard it was just to give him a rest. I think he played for the NT during then break and then in the Champions League as well. Heavy workload for a young kid.

What a great match in his return too. Put up an assists plus had a monster shift on a long 3-on-5 penalty kill where he was able the follow the opposition's puck movement and keep pressuring them one after another. Really made it hard for them to generate chances, and ultimately they were unable the score. Just unbelievable how he can play such a complete and mature game at a pro-level already.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Really like this guy. As a Sabres fan I feel he'd be a great fit next to Ristolainen as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad