LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Miro Heiskanen plays tongiht his first regular season game in liiga against Rauman Lukko.
Heiskanen plays with Joe Finley in HIFK's 3rd defense pair.

wloff

May 25, 2013
Excellent first period from Heiskanen. Doesn't seem intimidated at all. Wonderful, accurate, sharp passes all around. I think he got an assist for the goal too?

If he keeps this up, I don't see any reason Heiskanen wouldn't spend the whole season up in Liiga. This definitely looks like his level - he looks way too good for Mestis or the juniors.

Feels so weird to have an actual top draft eligible prospect in IFK!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Excellent first period from Heiskanen. Doesn't seem intimidated at all. Wonderful, accurate, sharp passes all around. I think he got an assist for the goal too?

If he keeps this up, I don't see any reason Heiskanen wouldn't spend the whole season up in Liiga. This definitely looks like his level - he looks way too good for Mestis or the juniors.

Feels so weird to have an actual top draft eligible prospect in IFK!

Kiekko-Vantaa isn't HIFK's affiliate team anymore so Heiskanen isn't going to play in mestis.
Jokerit is Kiekko-Vantaa's only affiliate team now.
Heiskanen is real talent no question on that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Good debut game for Heiskanen tonight.
He logged icetime 17:29 took one 2min penalty and got assist to HIFK's opening goal and his plus minus reading was +2.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
He played over 23 minutes of solid defense (+ PP responsibilities) in the 2nd Game, a 2-1 Victory against Jyp. This is almost unheard of for someone to play this much at such a young age, especially on a top team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Only saw about half of the game vs Lukko but he looked outstanding. His offensive skills are very good and skating really stands out even vs pro players. If he is infact 6'0 tall he could go in top 10.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He played over 23 minutes of solid defense (+ PP responsibilities) in the 2nd Game, a 2-1 Victory against Jyp. This is almost unheard of for someone to play this much at such a young age, especially on a top team.

If I'm not mistaken, the last guy that fits the bill of a smallish draft eligible D who has been trusted with these kind of responsibilities must have been Sami Vatanen.

EDIT: Scratch that. My memory didn't serve me right, Vatanen was drafted from juniors.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Is he that good or? Like is it out of question he could become as good or better than Vaakanainen or Välimäki?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Really tough review for Tormentor that Heiskanen would be better than Välimäki and Vaakanainen.
It would be nice to know facts which brings the estimate is based on.

Right now no-one cannot say for sure which one of that trio will be better five years from now.
As a HIFK fan i'm only happy for that Heiskanen is getting a fair chance to show his potential in liiga and took his spot in HIFK's opening lineup.

But as we know HIFK's defense isn't ready yet HIFK needs at least one defenceman in their TOP6.
Because now there's only one big and physical stay at home dman ( Joe Finley) and that's not enough to win FEL championship.

As we know defence wins championships offence wins games.
HIFK has puck-moving defencemans ( Taimi,Eronen,Salmela and Heiskanen) and two solid all-round dmans (Miihkali Teppo and Daniel Grillfors).
But HIFK's defence lacks physicality and Joe Finley is only stay at home dman in HIFK's roster

But yeah even i have to say that i prefer to follow the talented junior than some random Eemeli Heikkinen or Juuso Salmi.
Who aren't even near that talent level what Heiskanen is.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
It would be nice to know facts which brings the estimate is based on.

My subjective view is that Heiskanen was a better player than Välimäki @ Plymouth U20 tournament in August. I also think that Heiskanen was a better player than Vaakanainen @ HIFK-JYP match on Saturday.

Heiskanen's skating, smarts and puck skills are all 9 out of 10. That's quite a rare combination and I think this sets him apart from Välimäki or Vaakanainen.

... And not that I agree with Craig Button's views that often, but he also has Heiskanen above Välimäki and Vaakanainen. Hopefully this satisfies some of your hunger for facts. ;)

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Why can't he just be like 6'4 smooth skating guy. We need our own future Hedman.

I haven't really seen him play, but I have a picture in my head what kind of player he is. I'm thinking a guy that looks smaller than he is when skating, smooth puckhandling and good blue line control? Am I right?

To be completely honest I saw him in the U18 WJC's and his skating looked so smooth there.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Why can't he just be like 6'4 smooth skating guy. We need our own future Hedman.

I haven't really seen him play, but I have a picture in my head what kind of player he is. I'm thinking a guy that looks smaller than he is when skating, smooth puckhandling and good blue line control? Am I right?

To be completely honest I saw him in the U18 WJC's and his skating looked so smooth there.

Who is Rasmus Ristolainen?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Tormentor, currently how would you rank Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Vaakanainen and Valimaki?

That's a difficult question. There are at least 7 Finnish defensemen in this year's draft that are worth looking at. I'd like to see more from all of them before trying my luck with any sort of ranking.

Cumina

Sep 26, 2016
Well, now. Miro has been nothing but the best defenseman on his team. Hands down. He's been paired with Joe Finley in all games, and it's been a great pairing. Miro's confidence is through the roof atm, and it seems like there's not a situation where he would make a bad play.

The thing that's surprised me the most (apart from the obvious fact that he just turned 17 a couple of months ago) is that he's so balanced in all areas of the ice. He doesn't throw his body around too much, but he does throw occasional, nice hits. He's really smart even in the D-zone, which surprised me, considering his young age. He doesn't look like a 17yo physically out there.

Miro leads the D-corps in points and +/- (8. 1+2=3 +5), and his partner Finley shares the same +5 with him. Tommi Taimi, who was amazing during the regular season last year, is sporting a -3.

This guy is a gem.

A Moving Screening

May 27, 2016
If he continues like this there is no way he goes outside of top 15. Absolutely no way.

He is the best defenseman in one of the best teams in FEL. Amazing on the skates, super poised, ridiculous eye for passing and pinching and surprisingly tough to knock off the puck. Throws a good hit here and there, and defends really well with his stick in his own end. He makes defensive zone plays that just look so effortless, stealing the puck with ease from the opponent. His shot is surprisingly hard for a kid that just turned 17, too.

He is just the complete package.

Can't believe there is not much talk about him here. In Finland he is being raved about, and most people think that he has developed so much that he has easily surpassed Vaakanainen. Haven't seen enough of Välimäki, but he would have to be absolutely gorgeous to be better than Miro is right now. Expect him to shoot up the rankings.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
I see a lot of Kimmo Timonen when I watch him play. Really mature player and seems like he always makes the right decisions.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
So he's safely ahead of Vaakanainen and Välimäki by now? I haven't watched him so I can't tell if the praise does him justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad