Prospect Info: LD Filip Nordberg (2022, 64th Overall)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Didn’t the article say that he was promoted for the purpose of the team holding his rights getting better compensation for him leaving?
Yes for him leaving to NA.

Specifically, the USHL where his rights are held by Youngstown.

Generally, the only reason you’d be playing in the USHL is to prepare for the NCAA, but with him playing pro games this year, thats no longer in the table.

Nothing wrong with playing in the USHL, at all, but you don’t really ever see guys go from that league directly to pro.

Regardless, Nordberg had been sitting in the USHL for a while, teams aren’t going to waste high draft picks on guys from Europe without contact. It’s just strange to play Pro, lose your NCAA rights, then decide to head over.

Reactions: Bileur

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes for him leaving to NA.

Specifically, the USHL where his rights are held by Youngstown.

Generally, the only reason you’d be playing in the USHL is to prepare for the NCAA, but with him playing pro games this year, thats no longer in the table.

Nothing wrong with playing in the USHL, at all, but you don’t really ever see guys go from that league directly to pro.

Regardless, Nordberg had been sitting in the USHL for a while, teams aren’t going to waste high draft picks on guys from Europe without contact. It’s just strange to play Pro, lose your NCAA rights, then decide to head over.
I hear you. Could it be that he doesn’t want to play in the younger league in Sweden? Is the USHL be a similar option but on NA ice?

Does seem strange the way you describe it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I hear you. Could it be that he doesn’t want to play in the younger league in Sweden? Is the USHL be a similar option but on NA ice?

Does seem strange the way you describe it.
USHL is pretty similar to Sweden J20.

It’s a good league, perfectly fine for NHL prospects. But it’s an extremely, extremely strange route to take with no NCAA eligibility. That’s essentially the only reason the league is there, to prepare kids for the NCAA without losing eligibility unlike any pro league or the CHL.

Wallberg played in the same league last year, but he came over to start the year in the USHL, and is ready to go to Ohio State next year as a 19 year old. That’s a pretty late entry into the NCAA, most NHL drafted prospects are out of the USHL and into the NCAA at 18 (our 7th Rounder Dyck bypassed the USHL and entered the NCAA at 18)

If Nordberg wants to stay there, playing as a 19/20 year old, D+2 NHL prospect is a very strange, almost unprecedented route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
USHL is pretty similar to Sweden J20.

It’s a good league, perfectly fine for NHL prospects. But it’s an extremely, extremely strange route to take with no NCAA eligibility. That’s essentially the only reason the league is there, to prepare kids for the NCAA without losing eligibility unlike any pro league or the CHL.

Wallberg played in the same league last year, but he came over to start the year in the USHL, and is ready to go to Ohio State next year as a 19 year old. That’s a pretty late entry into the NCAA, most NHL drafted prospects are out of the USHL and into the NCAA at 18 (our 7th Rounder Dyck bypassed the USHL and entered the NCAA at 18)

If Nordberg wants to stay there, playing as a 19/20 year old, D+2 NHL prospect is a very strange, almost unprecedented route.
Ah ok, sounds very strange. Thanks for explaining that.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Can't be still be taken in the CHL import draft this summer and play there next season? He has a year of eligibility left. Or does going to the USHL lock him in there somehow?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can't be still be taken in the CHL import draft this summer and play there next season? He has a year of eligibility left. Or does going to the USHL lock him in there somehow?
He can head to the CHL. It's just a very strange lack of planning. Would have been simple to get a team to grab him this summer to have his rights held and option open, the same way teams grabbed Sykora and Kulich. If they wanted him, they'd find a way to make an import spot available.

Prince Albert, for example, only have 1 import slot filled, who will be an overager next year, and they passed on selecting anyone in the draft. Obviously it isn't as simple as that, but it should have been easy to find someone to select his rights. His agent would need to reach out to teams, and it would have been pretty simple from there as a soon to be NHL pick.

Being 19 makes things a bit more complicated with the import roster limits, most teams prioritize 17/18 year olds so they can get more than a season with one of their import slots, but he'd have no trouble finding somewhere to play.

Last year there were seven 19 year old guys selected out of the 73 players taken. If you commit to playing prior, you're guarantied to be taken, obviously Nordberg wasn't sure of his path.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

"Overheard" question from Lukas Bengtsson to Hugo Gustafsson at Växjö practice: "How good dmen does SSK really have if that's their 7 or 8D."

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1688432005559.png

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Really wish he had found a team in North America to play for this coming season. He needs reps and he just wasn't getting them in Sweden last season.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Filip Nordberg moving to Muskegon of the USHL

From the quotes, it looks like the Sens backed this move. I guess one year in the USHL and then see if he can transition to the AHL?

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
From the quotes, it looks like the Sens backed this move. I guess one year in the USHL and then see if he can transition to the AHL?
I’d be surprised if he never spent his overage season there.

Needs playing time. He’ll at the very least get it in the USHL.

Very bizarre development path, not very often you see a D+2 in the USHL

Reactions: Icelevel

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Forgot about Wolanin but yeah, I know they're a solid USHL franchise. Nonetheless, over the course of my life I have invested a total of zero brain cells learning anything about that town.

I suppose that will change now that Nordberg is there.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Forgot about Wolanin but yeah, I know they're a solid USHL franchise. Nonetheless, over the course of my life I have invested a total of zero brain cells learning anything about that town.

I suppose that will change now that Nordberg is there.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Any updates on him? Seems to pick up a lot of PIMs with decent stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad