LD Artemi Knyazev - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2019, 48th, SJS; traded to WPG)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Pronman compared him to Romanov at this tourney. That would be very nice
Let's see how Romanov does in the NHL.

Honestly Knyazev is a whole diffrent type of defenceman. I don't know where people draw those conclusions from. My very critical guess is, it's the usual thing of them being Russians. Only that's about it when it comes to similarities.

Knyazev always was an OD by design. An OD who neede to figure out how to

a.not be a defensive liability

b.translate his offence on every consequtive higher level.

Romanov is really coming after his grandpa regarding physicality. He might not look it, but he can hit really hard. His offence though is what he needs to improve and grow.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let's see how Romanov does in the NHL.

Honestly Knyazev is a whole diffrent type of defenceman. I don't know where people draw those conclusions from. My very critical guess is, it's the usual thing of them being Russians. Only that's about it when it comes to similarities.

Knyazev always was an OD by design. An OD who neede to figure out how to

a.not be a defensive liability

b.translate his offence on every consequtive higher level.

Romanov is really coming after his grandpa regarding physicality. He might not look it, but he can hit really hard. His offence though is what he needs to improve and grow.
I love both players and I have to agree
Both are really different.

Knyazev is a skater and a shooter, Romanov is talented and can chip it in but he plays a much more tame game.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Pronman watched and said it was the best he’d seen him play in a few years, so sounds like a good sign, even it was against a not great team.

When you play vs bad teams, you don't usually have to be very good defensively, and your offense comes out at its best. Knyazev is a very good (for his age) offensive defenseman, so no wonder he looked good.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
When you play vs bad teams, you don't usually have to be very good defensively, and your offense comes out at its best. Knyazev is a very good (for his age) offensive defenseman, so no wonder he looked good.
He’ll get to learn from two guys who have won three Norris trophies that aren’t regarded for their defensive play and also Vlasic, who was arguably the best shutdown D man in the world for a couple of years. You can teach stick position and reading plays. You can’t teach his elite skating or vision. I can easily see him being like Ferraro.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He’ll get to learn from two guys who have won three Norris trophies that aren’t regarded for their defensive play and also Vlasic, who was arguably the best shutdown D man in the world for a couple of years. You can teach stick position and reading plays. You can’t teach his elite skating or vision. I can easily see him being like Ferraro.

Nah, sorry, otherwise guy like Shattenkirk or Gardiner would have become legends. And it's still the question, is Knyazev going to be as good as those two, becuase with all their flaws they are still NHL defensemen.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, sorry, otherwise guy like Shattenkirk or Gardiner would have become legends. And it's still the question, is Knyazev going to be as good as those two, becuase with all their flaws they are still NHL defensemen.
He gets a massive advantage neither of those guys had, he gets to learn from Erik Karlsson, who has a very similar play style and physical build and also gets to learn with Merkley, who will be trying to learn the same skills. I don’t think he has anywhere near the same potential as Merkley, but it looks like he could be a solid second pairing offensive D man. His skating is absolutely elite. If he can put everything together, he can be a very good player and it doesn’t seem like he gets the attention he should.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad