LD Alexander Nikishin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2020, 69th, CAR)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Will his entry level contract be 2 or 3 years?

I believe it'd be a 2 year ELC if he signs in 2025 (year 1 could be 2024-25 if they want him for the playoffs a la Gusev/Vegas). Closest example I could find of a late birthday was Igor Shesterkin (December '95) signing a 2 year ELC in 2019. Nikishin was born October '91.

Shestyorkin, the 23-year-old goaltender (24 in December), has a contract clause that would allow him to return to Russia if the Rangers were to assign him to the AHL Wolf Pack, The Post has learned. Management apparently is confident, however, that would not be the 2014 fourth-rounder’s intention if he needs time in the AHL to adapt to the North American game. The netminder’s entry-level contract will be for two years because of his age.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I believe it'd be a 2 year ELC if he signs in 2025 (year 1 could be 2024-25 if they want him for the playoffs a la Gusev/Vegas). Closest example I could find of a late birthday was Igor Shesterkin (December '95) signing a 2 year ELC in 2019. Nikishin was born October '91.

His deal will be a 2 year, likely with some performance bonuses, although it ends up being a 1 year because we sign him when the KHL season is over.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Nikishin's contract signing will be one to watch. Will it be an entry-level contract 4 and a half years after his draft ?

All defenders are out of contract by 2025. Chatfield will want to take his share after a good season. Skei and Pesce will also get a raise... if Nikishin can negotiate a big contract it could be very complicated.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Nikishin's contract signing will be one to watch. Will it be an entry-level contract 4 and a half years after his draft ?

All defenders are out of contract by 2025. Chatfield will want to take his share after a good season. Skei and Pesce will also get a raise... if Nikishin can negotiate a big contract it could be very complicated.

Attachments

• 38E93083-C50F-48BE-8312-C8A45E18A226.jpeg
    38E93083-C50F-48BE-8312-C8A45E18A226.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 5

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That doesn't answer my question. Entry contract or not in 2025?
Yes it will be an ELC

His performance bonuses will be through the roof that are easy to achieve in that contract too just to make it so he definately comes to North America.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
His first contract literally must be an ELC, it's part of the CBA. The maximum it can be would be similar to Panarins contract, with maximum potential performance bonuses, because you cannot have large signing bonuses on an ELC.

The upper limit of his ELC AAV is determined by his draft year, which in his case is 2020. This means the maximum AAV is $3.775M, with $2.85M in performance bonuses, and $925K in salary. ELC signing age is measured by your age in the year you sign the contract, measured on Sept. 15. Nikishin, being born on Oct. 2, 2001, would be considered to be 23 years old, assuming he signs his deal shortly after his KHL deal expires on Apr. 30th, 2025. This means he would sign a two-year ELC. So it's likely his first deal is $3.775Mx2years, with $925K salary, and $2.85M in bonuses per year. If he then played in the 2025 NHL playoffs, he would "burn" the first year of his deal, and be eligible for an extension July 1, 2025, which would kick in after his ELC expired in 2026.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The Canes have been budgeting and planning to fit him in the fold all along, its why Orlov's deal was only 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him to a 2 year ELC (1 year in reality, given the first year would probably only count for the playoff run next season), as short a RFA deal as he can get, and then an 8 year extension at top dollar. He's looked every bit worth the hype, and would be the ideal long term heir to 1D from Slavin.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That doesn't answer my question. Entry contract or not in 2025?

It'll be an ELC since it's an age required thing in the CBA. As I understand it, a European (trained) player would have to be over 28 years old in order to not sign an ELC. Couple examples off the top of my head are Vadim Shipachyov (2 years x 4.5 mil AAV when he was 30) and Evgeni Medvedev (1 year x 3 mil when he was 33).

When Calgary signed Roman Cervenka at 26, he still had to sign a 1 year ELC. Nikishin at 23 would have no option other than to sign an ELC. Contract length is also defined by the CBA, so that part wouldn't be negotiable; 18-21 year olds get 3 year ELCs, 22-23 year olds get 2 year ELCs, 24+ get 1 year ELCs.

The main question with Nikishin is whether his first year would start in 2024-25 which would potentially have him be an option for the 2025 playoffs a la Nikita Gusev joining Vegas in 2018 (albeit he never suited up). Even if he weren't to appear in any games, Year 1 of the ELC would be burned which might be the cost of luring him over; Minnesota burned Year 1 of Kirill Kaprizov's ELC without him playing.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The Canes have been budgeting and planning to fit him in the fold all along, its why Orlov's deal was only 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him to a 2 year ELC (1 year in reality, given the first year would probably only count for the playoff run next season), as short a RFA deal as he can get, and then an 8 year extension at top dollar. He's looked every bit worth the hype, and would be the ideal long term heir to 1D from Slavin.
I’m as high on him as anyone but no way I or the team would give him 8 years without seeing him play here more than a few playoff games. Probably 2 year ELC burning 1 year then extend him July 1, 2025 another 2 years at like $4M/yr. Assuming all goes well then a big 8 year deal.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I’m as high on him as anyone but no way I or the team would give him 8 years without seeing him play here more than a few playoff games. Probably 2 year ELC burning 1 year then extend him July 1, 2025 another 2 years at like $4M/yr. Assuming all goes well then a big 8 year deal.
Well, yeah.

But for right now, unless he shows us otherwise, this has to be the plan for him.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It'll be an ELC since it's an age required thing in the CBA. As I understand it, a European (trained) player would have to be over 28 years old in order to not sign an ELC. Couple examples off the top of my head were Vadim Shipachyov (2 years x 4.5 mil AAV when he was 30) and Evgeni Medvedev (1 year x 3 mil when he was 33).

When Calgary signed Roman Cervenka at 26, he still had to sign a 1 year ELC. Nikishin at 23 would have no option other than to sign an ELC. Contract length is also defined by the CBA, so that part wouldn't be negotiable; 18-21 year olds get 3 year ELCs, 22-23 year olds get 2 year ELCs, 24+ get 1 year ELCs.

The main question with Nikishin is whether his first year would start in 2024-25 which would potentially have him be an option for the 2025 playoffs a la Nikita Gusev joining Vegas in 2017 (albeit he never suited up). Even if he weren't to appear in any games, Year 1 of the ELC would be burned which might be the cost of luring him over (Minnesota burned Year 1 of Kirill Kaprizov's ELC without him playing).

I think so. The way the Canes prioritize cap flexibility yearly (and make tough decisions because of that, like letting Hamilton walk during a contention window), it's doubtful that they'll need to force him into both years. A few million (ELC vs. bridge) is not worth potential damage for the long-term relationship. He'll be eligible for UFA at the same time either way.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It'll be an ELC since it's an age required thing in the CBA. As I understand it, a European (trained) player would have to be over 28 years old in order to not sign an ELC. Couple examples off the top of my head are Vadim Shipachyov (2 years x 4.5 mil AAV when he was 30) and Evgeni Medvedev (1 year x 3 mil when he was 33).

The main question with Nikishin is whether his first year would start in 2024-25 which would potentially have him be an option for the 2025 playoffs a la Nikita Gusev joining Vegas in 2018 (albeit he never suited up). Even if he weren't to appear in any games, Year 1 of the ELC would be burned which might be the cost of luring him over; Minnesota burned Year 1 of Kirill Kaprizov's ELC without him playing.
This is where the "Russian Factor" can come in. The CBA rules means he will sign an ELC deal when they are 22-23 or whatever, and likely have to leave some money on the table to do so compared to what he could likely get in KHL salary. Now players are willing to do this in order to chase the upside of a big NHL deal, so you basically never see guys that aren't willing to take a go at it. Since it's an ELC, he is also going to be waiver exempt.

When these guys come to camp, the coach is (not entirely wrongfully) just looking at them as another young guy that hasn't seen NHL action yet and doesn't care what they did in the KHL. So they are generally put into depth roles accordingly, like you would with a random player that comes from the AHL. Since they are on an ELC, they are also waiver-exempt, so when roster shuffling needs to occur, the roster politics of it will put often put on the shortlist to be sent down to the AHL if they haven't done anything yet because of their contract/exempt status. This is all made especially more exponential if the Coaches have a prejudice that presumes all Russians are entitled/don't work hard/greedy/selfish until proven otherwise.

So they go through a season of that, and then since they haven't done anything particularly notable to date in the NHL they aren't going to get a big contract offer, and will likely be offered a deal close to league minimum without assurances of a large role for the upcoming season. At that point, the cost-benefit analyis may weigh more in terms of "whatever, I'll just go back home, get a big role and make more money", so they go back to Russia, Garl does his celebratory dance about "another Russian flop" and that's the end of it.

Now, this doesn't mean a very talented player isn't going to come in, impress everyone right away and earn a big role because it'd be coaching malpractice to not give them a big role and then they get their big contract and everything works out. This happens all the time. So the "Russian Factor" is less of a factor for really talented players that are clearly amongst the top 100 players in the world, for instance. It has much more of an impact for would be depth players.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ends the 2023-24 KHL regular season with the best +/- in the League (+32), 1st in goals, points, GPG and PPG amongst Defenseman (17 goals, 56 points in 67 games). Top 10 in the League in scoring. Impressive season, solidified himself as the clearcut best defenseman not in the NHL.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ends the 2023-24 KHL regular season with the best +/- in the League (+32), 1st in goals, points, GPG and PPG amongst Defenseman (17 goals, 56 points in 67 games). Top 10 in the League in scoring. Impressive season, solidified himself as the clearcut best defenseman not in the NHL.
His point getting has completely overshadowed the reality that he’s also one of the best shutdown D men in the entire K. Such an incredible start to his career there, can’t wait to see how it translates in NA.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Will he sign in Carolina?

Also wondering on Morrow.

Carolina has 2 good defense prospects that could join that team and be real special.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Will he sign in Carolina?

Also wondering on Morrow.

Carolina has 2 good defense prospects that could join that team and be real special.
One more year under KHL Contract. This is where a lack of transfer agreement hurts, if he was in the SHL or NLA, he would have an NHL clause that he could opt out and sign an NHL deal, and if the NHL club thinks he's not ready, they could assign him back to Europe for another season while under NHL contract. It leads to a much smoother transition.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Those numbers in the KHL for a defensmen are insane. This guy has all the makings of a top pairing NHL defensemen, it will be interesting to see how quickly he adjusts when he finally comes over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad