GDT: Lazy, Post Bday GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Los Angeles Kings, 10:30 PM, ESPN+/Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Severson played an excellent 39:58, and then one of the worst 20:02 I've ever seen from a single player.

Smith was pretty good up until overtime.

This one is going to drive Lindy nuts because we were the better team tonight, again, but lost because we gave up on plays and didn't see them through. Guys didn't play until the whistle, guys got careless. We killed ourselves tonight and wasted a great performance from Blackwood.

Reactions: Mgd31 and Devs3cups

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
WOW - 61 pages for a late Friday night game. Your wives and GFs really put up with a lot:)
My wife was happy about it, as if I wasn't watching the game I would of been like
lets-get-it-on.gif

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Smith hasn't looked good the entire season. Just looks like uncomfortable and has no rhythm. Nothing looks easy for him right now.

Maybe an effect of missing most of camp? Maybe whatever his injury was is a lingering one? Not sure but his game looks sloppy and his overall movement looks choppy.

Reactions: Capt Nico Poo

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think Smith hasn't looked good the entire season. Just looks like uncomfortable and has no rhythm. Nothing looks easy for him right now.

Maybe an effect of missing most of camp? Maybe whatever his injury was is a lingering one? Not sure but his game looks sloppy and his overall movement looks choppy.
I’m sure missing all of camp messes up with a player’s flow pretty bad. He’s still a young d-man, and he has the talent to bounce back soon and learn from those mistakes. Not worried about him yet. It’s unfortunate cause I thought the rest of his game was pretty good.

Reactions: JimEIV

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tatar is looking like Gusev 2.0. He’s not even putting shots on goal. Expected more from someone we all penciled in as a 20-25 goal scorer

Goal scorers need play drivers to get them the puck. We have exactly one of those and he's got a separated shoulder.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m sure missing all of camp messes up with a player’s flow pretty bad. He’s still a young d-man, and he has the talent to bounce back soon and learn from those mistakes. Not worried about him yet. It’s unfortunate cause I thought the rest of his game was pretty good.
I'm not even talking about the mistake... people sometimes get overly worked up over gaffs...those things are going to happen.

I just don't think he's looked right since he returned to the lineup. Might just take a while to get into a groove but he just doesn't look like he's at 100% game shape and speed to me.

I didn't even see the mistake when it happened...I looked away from the TV for a second and when I looked up there was a guy in the slot with the puck

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You have literally no idea what you're talking about
. The first goal happens because of Nicos back check

I get wanting more of a 1 OA, but I do think it's getting a bit over the top. Like he would be better off generating nothing and being invisible than getting chances and not converting.

The whole team and the coaches need to be better in about every aspect of the game honestly. It's not just Nico and it's not mostly Nico either.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Just watched the post-game comments. Lindy Ruff really walked the tightrope with regards to Severson.

He also had praise for Andreas Johnsson (or as Chico calls him Johansson). Think many of the media have missed on how well he is playing.

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
There are obviously several issues with the powerplay but our forwards being so weak on the boards and not being able to absorb pressure, draw the guy in, and then make a play with the PKer trapped on the boards is a serious problem.

So many plays dying on the half wall cause we’re weak on the puck

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah being slow to move the puck and soft on the boards is a recipe for a league worst pp

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Just watched the post-game comments. Lindy Ruff really walked the tightrope with regards to Severson.

He also had praise for Andreas Johnsson (or as Chico calls him Johansson). Think many of the media have missed on how well he is playing.

He also said that the undisciplined play is "absolutely unacceptable" in strong emphasis

Camille the Eel

Ray Ferraro on Kings' first goal, "Damon Severson is standing in the crease but he's not really doing much."

How many times has that happened?

Utica moves to 5-0 with a win over Syracuse and Kevin Bahl is now +4. If we could get anything for Damon wouldn't mind seeing Bahl-Smith become a thing (Ty has played the right side before).

On a non-related note, Thompson with a hat trick and Boqvist scoring his first of the year. Some help for the stagnant offense?
on that same play, all Graves had to do was just go into the corner and hold the puck for five seconds, he didn't have to move it at all in any direction. Just sit on it. You can criticize him too for having had no awareness of the clock.

Actually thought they played a good game last night. Much better than the previous game. Puck possession was good, we didn't get dominated in center ice (that and puck possession are interrelated of course), we were skating and on our toes and played our game. Sure am happy Zacha tied it up late because I can only imagine what this board would read like if we'd lost in regulation.

Also I actually thought Nico played a fine game. Our first goal - the Bratt breakaway - is created by him and Johnson totally. Nico steps up at center ice (between our blue line and center ice or just at our blue line or just inside it, IDK), breaks up an LA rush and steals the puck, shoveling it neatly to Johnson while Bratt is reading the whole thing and running a fly pattern. Nice play all around. I can't see the constant criticism of Nico here. The import seems to be that he's not Sidney Crosby and that, being a number one pick, he ought to be. No. Nico is a fine player and he's not our problem at all.

In fact the team is making nice progress. Especially our defense is as a whole a completely different beast than it was in prior seasons. Graves and Siegenthaler and the absent Hamilton transform it. We are finally building from the goal and defense outward, as you have to do, as we should have started doing ten years ago. No we won't make the playoffs this year but I didn't expect us to. But we will be and are light years better off than in prior seasons as far as getting our aim on being truly competitive.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
you should blame it on hischier.

He’s a no show offensively since the start of the season. This "it’s just 5 games" has now turned into the "it’s just 9 games".

I get it, he’s our 1st overall pick and our captain but he has to step his offensive game up in a big way. This is a real cause for concern here because he’s generating absolutely nothing and he’s messing up golden opportunities from his line mates.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not much is going to change unless they A) stop taking so many penalties and B) improve the PK

you can live with a bad PP, especially if you are controlling play at 5 on 5...but you can't survive giving up at least 1 PP goal per game.

The PK is improved. They were great last night. Blackwood gives up a soft goal 4v5 on what, LA's 5th power play? The PK should change nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad