Player Discussion: Laurent Brossoit

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That's exactly what the Jet's are doing right now with Brossoit and Tanev. What I'm saying is that "talented cheap depth" is hard to find -- just ask the Oilers, who lack exactly that--cheap depth.

In truth what the Oilers have been lacking is competent coaching and GM, and a front office that lets coaches and management do their job. They have fixed the coach situation, they have fired their GM, but we'll see what happens... if you look at the deals Chiarelli made during his tenure, I think 4 deals out of 5 make no sense. Just horrible trade after trade. Like they start with Jordan Eberle, trade him for Ryan Strome, who they trade for Ryan Spooner. He started with career 460 points in 630 games player and ends up with Spooner, who is 160 points in 360 games, but 1+2=3 in 25 games this season and has played less than 80 games the past 3 seasons total... or less than 100 in 4 seasons if you include this one this far. They ended up waiving Spooner and not that surprisingly he cleared.

I realize there are more to trades than quality of player, salary things and what not, but no matter how you look at it, starting with Eberle and ending with an AHL player is not good trading...

The Jets have very good GM and scouting, I think the Jets should rely on that to find their cheap depth. If they can sign Tanev for cheap again, they should do it, but he is 27 years old now, so he isn't really getting any better, likely he'll be starting to decline very soon taking into account the way he plays the game. From purely price/performance and business stand point I don't think players are him are worth paying very much for, HOWEVER from team culture / locker room etc. perspective it might make sense to solidify the team and make everyone feel like they are not playing to keep their job or to stay in the team but to win the cup. Or something like that, what do I know. But the reality of a cap world is you can't keep everyone and guys like Tanev probably have earned some other team overpaying them :)

Now Brossoit is interesting, Maurice is talking very highly of him, yet he doesn't get very many starts. My guess is they are trying to lock him for several more years on the cheap. With his very limited starts he has shown his upside to be at least a very good backup and they see him in practices etc. day to day, and it seems they really like what they see. So at worst they should have a serviceable backup who can play 20-30 games a season and do ok, or best someone who could even seriously challenge for the starter job down the line if Helle struggles. I think that would be a very good situation for the Jets - not Helle struggling, but having a very competent backup. I think Chevy will make something good out of this.

Reactions: larmex99 and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad