Sportsnet: Laughton Potentially Available

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
If Lindholm doesn't becoming available I wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs be aggressive for a guy like Laughton and then one of the 'cheaper' Cs like Kuznetsov (perhaps with some retention). Or maybe even try for both Laughton and Hayes in the same deal. Adding a 2C & 3C to that team for ~10M would be great

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Prospects, and picks, and remove Garland.

Vancouver has to move salary so I guess this trade base is not gonna work out. Obviously Garland and Laughton aren't equal in value so there'd need to be additions

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
3m 3 years for Laughton is very nice value. Flyers will have to retain/take back bad contracts for Hayes. Not Laughton. 3m easy fit. .5+ ppg this past year. Best spot is 3lw but can fill in easily at 3c or 2lw. pk2 guy for sure. You can debate whether Hart and Konecky you should keep because of their age. Laughton should be no brainer to trade at 29. Later 1st(if deadline)/similar value prospect/ future top 15 protected pick should be around the right value. Should be at least 8-10 teams calling and asking.

Reactions: BernieParent

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Any team that is interested should realize he’s better at wing than center…he’s serviceable as a 3C but better as a mid-six winger IMO.

Either way that versatility should net the Flyers something decent. Very much a complimentary piece but I can definitely see a world where he nets more than Hayes even if Hayes is retained fairly heavily. I think Laughton fits into a wider variety of lineups.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Most of the teams that would want him are going to be fairly tight to the cap. Wait until the deadline, and you can get him at a functionally reduced cap hit for this coming half-season, and you have next offseason to help cut down the roster to retain him. You also have a half-season's worth of evidence that your team isn't going to crumble due to injuries, so you aren't giving up a lottery-level pick for him (and from the Flyers' perspective, they can be more confident that they'll actually get the pick in the year they expect to get it, rather than having to deal with protection and the like.)

That said, I wouldn't see a problem with someone going for him now, it's just that he seems like the kind of guy teams look at as the piece to get them over the top, and that type of guy tends to go at the deadline, rather than the more significant restructuring trades teams prefer to do during the offseason.

Yeah, this is functionally it.

At the deadline, teams know generally where they'll stand. A team is more willing to give up a 1st if they know it's gonna be #22-26 at worst than in the summer, when for all they know it could be top 10.

Teams at the deadline are also often trying to fill gaps left by injury. So jack-of-all trades forwards like Laughton become valuable to more teams near the deadline than in the offseason, since teams can't predict how many long-term injuries they will have, and to whom.

Even if healthy, they might have thought they had the right PK personnel in the offseason, but February rolls around and they can't kill anything off and so they decide they badly need more Fs who can PK. Again, things you can't predict.

Basically, teams often can't anticipate their needs (or the value of their draft picks) until they've played a bit of hockey. Laughton can fill a wide variety of needs for a variety of teams, though, which is why he's a coveted player.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I can definitely see the Avs being interested. I think they’ve poked around at Laughton at deadlines the last. Bednar loves Compher, another versatile player who is a slightly better winger than center but can play a variety of roles but JTC is coming off a 52 point season and is an UFA. Laughton being locked in at 3x3 as opposed to re-signing JTC who is already making 3.5 and probably wants a raise would be attractive and maybe worth the equity trade-off.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd love him as the Canucks #3C. But realistically, they just can't afford what it'd take. In acquisition cost, or probably even in cap...at least, without dumping salary back the other way.

Other teams out there probably up the ante to a price point that just wouldn't make sense for Vancouver right now. Kinda sounded like one of those things that ends up with a 1st round pick + getting moved for him. I can even kinda see why, if you think he's that final piece to fill out your contending roster and you've got a late 1st. But Vancouver can't really wade into that market on either condition.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Per Friedman during the intermission mentioned he has heard that Laughton might be out there.

Briere is willing to move him for the right price.
Philly
Laughton and 2nd round pick 2023

Canucks
11th overall 2023 and Connor Garland

Philly gets higher pick for their rebuild while taking on Garlands cap who is still young

Canucks solve 2 problems, get some cap space back while get a 3rd line center that is still 29, in line with Miller's age and solves Canucks center depth.

I'd love him as the Canucks #3C. But realistically, they just can't afford what it'd take. In acquisition cost, or probably even in cap...at least, without dumping salary back the other way.

Other teams out there probably up the ante to a price point that just wouldn't make sense for Vancouver right now. Kinda sounded like one of those things that ends up with a 1st round pick + getting moved for him. I can even kinda see why, if you think he's that final piece to fill out your contending roster and you've got a late 1st. But Vancouver can't really wade into that market on either condition.
Just look at my post. Laughton at most is worth 11th overall pick and they still get some value back in Garland who can play in the top 6 in Philly easily

Reactions: captainpaxil

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Something around 11 and Myers for 22 and Laughton
I think we will get rid of Myers 1 year deal easily once the defense FA market dries up and his bonus is paid up. I think Philly would look at Garland before Myers because he is younger and has more value. Eventually we would need to get rid of both

Laughton is the type of Coleman, Barbashev, etc player that would push a team over.
I think Canucks and Flyers Make perfect partners. Canucks have a high pick in this deep draft which is something Philly wants and Canucks like to get a 3rd line center. Watch this happen before the draft

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Prospects, and picks, and remove Garland.
11th overall pick is enough for Laughton to be traded. I doubt Flyers can get a better pick than that and that pick can net a very good prospect like Moore, Reinbacher or Pelleka. Garland would be necessary to make this trade happen and would be useful for Flyers since they would still need some good top 6 players while they rebuild

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Philly

Canucks

Philly gets higher pick for their rebuild while taking on Garlands cap who is still young

Canucks solve 2 problems, get some cap space back while get a 3rd line center that is still 29, in line with Miller's age and solves Canucks center depth.

Just look at my post. Laughton at most is worth 11th overall pick and they still get some value back in Garland who can play in the top 6 in Philly easily

Yeah. But then the Canucks are giving up the 11th overall draft pick in a strong draft. Which they can't afford to do. So it's DOA. A 3rd Line Center, even a very good one like Laughton isn't worth that kind of trade of a premium asset. Not for a team in Vancouver's position.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah. But then the Canucks are giving up the 11th overall draft pick in a strong draft. Which they can't afford to do. So it's DOA. A 3rd Line Center, even a very good one like Laughton isn't worth that kind of trade of a premium asset. Not for a team in Vancouver's position.
I think Vancouver has no choice but to trade a pick to get rid of Garland while also getting a 3rd line center they need. Maybe trade a 3rd and Garland plus some prospect for Laughton but not sure if Philly accepts. There is no way for Canucks to improve without giving up picks

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Vancouver has no choice but to trade a pick to get rid of Garland while also getting a 3rd line center they need. Maybe trade a 3rd and Garland plus some prospect for Laughton but not sure if Philly accepts. There is no way for Canucks to improve without giving up picks

They've already given up a bunch of picks to improve. The Isles 1st and their own 2nd. As well as next years 2nd to bail them out of their own stupid cap mess so they could ostensibly "get better".

The pick cupboards are bare. They are not a team that should have bare cupboards with no picks.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Philly

Canucks
Garland may have some small value to some teams but is essentially neutral.

Laughton value is roughly 2nd + B prospect. 2 2nds and a B prospect do not = 11OV, especially in this draft.

11, Garland for 22 and Laugh.

I think it still favours Philly.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Couturier might be the key here if he can play.
I believe they have in house replacement for Laughton in Noah Cates.
Plus Hayes and Frost. C not great but set for a year.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Something around 11 and Myers for 22 and Laughton
The flyers are going to have to retain money elsewhere and will need cap room and all 3 retention spots. They also don't have a top of cap space to go with it.
This includes.

Hayes for sure. Assuming 3m for multiple years retention at minimum.
ADA. Addition by subtraction. He needs to go.
Atkinson IF IF IF healthy he has value at 3.75-4 m. Not 5.875m.
Walker at deadline for sure.

If this was Flyers need to take Myers to trade Hayes, that is a totally different narrative. But Laughton I would be shocked if a bad deal came back to the flyers.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The flyers are going to have to retain money elsewhere and will need cap room and all 3 retention spots. They also don't have a top of cap space to go with it.
This includes.

Hayes for sure. Assuming 3m for multiple years retention at minimum.
ADA. Addition by subtraction. He needs to go.
Atkinson IF IF IF healthy he has value at 3.75-4 m. Not 5.875m.
Walker at deadline for sure.

If this was Flyers need to take Myers to trade Hayes, that is a totally different narrative. But Laughton I would be shocked if a bad deal came back to the flyers.

Indeed. Part of what makes Laughton a valuable asset is that $3m is a very reasonable price that a lot of competitive teams can fit without moving heaven and earth. The Flyers would be looking for a good bundle of picks and prospects.

The reason that they took back a big salary dump for Provorov is that, all said and done, the deal was nearly cap-neutral. They sent out $6.75m and brought $7.65m back in. Essentially added $900k to the payroll to maximize their return. I don't think they're in a position to lose $2-4m+ in cap space on a Laughton trade, nor would they have to.

I get that the Canucks are the West's shitshow answer to the Flyers, but it's a little tiring that literally every trade thread is gobbed up by Canucks fans suggesting some sort of batshit cap dump deal for whoever the player is. The Flyers are gonna look to move Laughton for the best assets and fewest headaches they can get. Not every potential trade in the league is an opportunity for a GM to help dig the Canucks out of the mess they made. The Canucks can retain or be creative, too, if they need to move cap to someone else.

Aside: I am increasingly certain DeAngelo will just get bought out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad