GDT: Latvia vs Finland, Dec 29, 8:30 est

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
Why not? If Germany was so good, Germany could have qualified to top 6 by winning the lower division, and then could have done the same thing vs Finland, right?
It's hard to improve when you're never playing against the best. It would also be harder to justify spending much money on a national junior level if there was no incentive to ever compete with them.

With this same logic wouldn't it be the best to just have Women's world championships be just USA vs Canada best of 7 since no one else will probably ever win? Hockey is more than just the eventual champion.

Reactions: Noutaja

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's hard to improve when you're never playing against the best.
That's not true. You know how much you improve by losing 10-0 to Canada every time? Not at all.

It's been shown in empirical studies that the best way to improve in a sport or any competition of this nature is by playing against opponents slightly better than you. Not vs "the best".

Indeed, it would be better for Latvia's development, too, to be playing against teams of their own strength rather than vs top teams.

Unless you show me empirical studies that have disproven this and that have shown that playing vs the best is the best way to improve. Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to believe.

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
That's not true. You know how much you improve by losing 10-0 to Canada every time? Not at all.

It's been shown in empirical studies that the best way to improve in a sport or any competition of this nature is by playing against opponents slightly better than you. Not vs "the best".

Indeed, it would be better for Latvia's development, too, to be playing against teams of their own strength rather than vs top teams.

Unless you show me empirical studies that have disproven this and that have shown that playing vs the best is the best way to improve. Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to believe.
You know what, i'll concede that part of my statement. I think the rest of it still holds up just fine and is reason enough for this tournament to be ten teams.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Norway and Germany the teams of their strength so what is this argument? That WJC should be a 4-team tournament?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Norway and Germany the teams of their strength so what is this argument? That WJC should be a 4-team tournament?
Well the discussion was about a 6-team tournament and this group is canada sweden finland germany latvia, so if the top 3 were finland, sweden, canada, they'd still get to play vs germany at the lower level. But in addition, they'd get to play several other teams of their own level as well.

It might be a good idea to argue against the point I'm making rather than arguing against a point I'm not making.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Do they really need video review for a high stick by 2 feet?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It might be a good idea to argue against the point I'm making rather than arguing against a point I'm not making.
Czechs and Slovaks both have 1 medal in over 20 years so why are hardliners like you arguing for 6 team tournament rather than 4? It's just goes to show how arbitrary those cet off points are.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Important win but we still waste too many chances. At least our powerplay looked better today.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
YAY we won shitty Latvia.
Nothing special in this game except that maybe we avoid relegation round with this win.

Vali in goal was good when needed.
Powerplay could've been better especially that first in 1st period.

Next game will be ass-whooping from Sweden.
I'm not still impressed by this team and that clueless bozo coach.

After quarterfinals this crap is over for us.
And it is good thing but Lauri Mikkola won't change
he'll always be a nobody coach who shouldn't coach nothig.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Latvia was garbage. Can't wait for Sweden game tomorrow, it'll be ugly for us. Mikkola has zero charisma, his interviews are painful to watch. Raimo Helminen had similar charisma but atleast he was a top tier player, Mikkola is like Lämsä but even worse CV. What could go wrong.

Our slow d-men will probably struggle to find their way to locker room after Swedes giving a lot of pressure.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad