Late rounder steals

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
Who in the past three drafts (2002, 2003 and 2004) do you think was a steal in the later rounds - 3rd or more? Or who do you think has performed over expectations and would probably be taken in the first 2 rounds of their respective year?

Of course, give some explanation of your picks, if you can.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
2002: Maxime Talbot, Greg Campbell, Peter Kanko.
2003: Alexandre Picard,Stefan Ruzicka,Ryan O'Byrne, Nigel Dawes,Andy Chiodo,Dustin Byfuglien
2004: Mikhail Grabovsky, Dustin Boyd,Wes O'Neil, Evan McGrath

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't think any of these nyi prospects would be taken in the first two rounds,if their drafts were done over,but they've performed better then expected.

Bruno Gervias-2003 6th rounder.Was the last player cut after an impressive 2003-04 training camp.He suffered a knee injury in 2003-04,but looks fully recovered and had a good rookie season in the ahl this yr.The steady youngster will likely make the nyi when the lockout ends.

Chris Campoli-2004 7th rounder.Made the AHL all-rookie team in 2004-05.There are questions about his size(6' 190 lbs).He's impressed the nyi coaches and front office with his offensive skill.He'll get a chance with the isles in either 2004-05 or 2005-06.

Steve Regier-2004 5th rounder.Was described as a big,raw physical prospect.A longterm project who was a healthy scratch for many games,early in the ahl season,but who really came on and showed improvement as the yr went along.Maybe a future 3rd liner if he keeps developing.

Wes O'Neill-2004 4th rounder.Got a ton of icetime,playing in all situations for a bad ND team this season.One of the few bright spots for ND according to the press that covers college hockey.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
out of 2002 no one really catches my eye except Matthew Lombardi in round 3, just because he did play in the NHL and have some decent success :dunno:

slight homer pick but jarkko immonen has done pretty well in his development for a 8th round pick, by the leafs. one of the top scorers in the top finnish league the past two seasons, very good faceoff man, and leader of his team. he could be coming over this year if the lockout ends...might be a decent 2nd line center if all goes his way

2003 again it's hard for me to find someone that really jumps out...maybe it's just way too early still, there are some good players in there but nothing that makes me say "wow" yet. guys like ruzicka in the 3rd round, stempniak and dawes in the 5th, seem to be good value picks and guys who have developed nicely into good prospects. bruno gervais of the islanders had a nice rookie year in bridgeport pointswise at least, scoring 30 points in 76 games...

2004, again real early...but i think a guy like wes o'neill would go a little higher at least, even though i wasn't terribly impressed when i saw him play...he does have his faults to work out. find it a little hard to come up with some good ones for 2004 but again a bit of a homer pick...jakub petruzalek might go earlier after having a nice rookie year in the OHL, averaging over a point per game and outscoring 1st round pick and teammate lukas kaspar. i'm sure his size scared a lot of teams away but he showed he can produce in the NA game so that might make his stock rise some to the point where he'd go more in the middle of the draft

i'm sure people can name more and pimp the prospects of their own teams, that's just kind of what jumped out at me after a quick scan through the lists

A Good Flying Bird*

Wings Steals, perhaps

Quincey 132 overall
McGrath 128 overall

Maybe ... Anton Axelsson .. 192 overall

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Stephen Dixon. 7th round 03'
Jaroslav Halak 9th round 03'
Dany Roussin 7th round 03'
Konstantin Korneev 9th round 02'

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'll play along with the "who from your favorite team was drafted in the late rounds" game ;)

Lauris Darzins - round 9, 2003

had a great first year in the WHL as an all-around utility guy for Kelowna, and i hear will have an even bigger offensive role next year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Wild steal Clayton Stoner!

was Stoner considered to be a longterm project pick when drafted or were the scouts saying he needed to mature?

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
eddy said:
Stephen Dixon. 7th round 03'
Jaroslav Halak 9th round 03'
Dany Roussin 7th round 03'
Konstantin Korneev 9th round 02'

Halak is a steal I wish the Maineiacs would have him in net for one more year. :cry: He is definitely have a shot at the starters role in the AHL next year. I know AHL is spilt up like MLB with the NL and AL does Montreals afflitate play the Portland Pirates if so that will bring me to a Pirate game.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
CREW99AW said:
was Stoner considered to be a longterm project pick when drafted or were the scouts saying he needed to mature?

He was an overager I believe, which was one of his problems...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
For the Oilers

2003 - Kyle Brodziak (7th) Dragan Umicevic (6th) Troy Bodie (9th)
2004 - Liam Reddox (4th) Tyler Spurgeon (8th)

Likely all these guys wouldn't go top 2 rounds but all would go higher.

Kyle Brodziak - was 3rd in scoring the the WHL in 2003/2004 and last year played well for the Roadrunners earning a spot in the starting lineup at the end of the season - Could make it as a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL

Dragan Umicevic - This kid is boom or bust, but he did have a good year playing with Jokinen in the SEL and Oli proclaimed this kid is gonna be a superstar in the NHL. He'll either make top 6 or never play in the NHL. Buy he is crazy skilled

Troy Bodie - Went to the Memorial cup the last two years and has finally grown into his body - looked good in the games I saw him this year but does need to start playing a little more physical for a guy of his size

Liam Reddox - Pretty sure he led his OHL team in scoring this year and has great hands around the net. He reminds a lot of Comrie in how he is always in the right place.

Tyler Spurgeon - played on the top line with Bodie this year and together they helped win the WHL title again and make it to the Memorial cup. Hardworking center with great defensive awareness

Some fine later picks by the Oilers imho.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
s7ark said:
2003 - Kyle Brodziak (7th) Dragan Umicevic (6th) Troy Bodie (9th)
2004 - Liam Reddox (4th) Tyler Spurgeon (8th)
Five late round steals, all by the same team in two drafts? :shakehead

Me thinks people here need to learn the difference between a steal, and a guy who is "looking good for a late rounder"

Last edited:

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Not really a late rounder since he was selected first of the third round in 2004, but i would have to go with Sami Lepisto who had a great year in the finnish league at the age of 20 and even better playoffs. He saw some ice time in every kind of situation (PP, SH). Size might be more of an issue since he's slightly undersized for NA standards.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Halak is a steal I wish the Maineiacs would have him in net for one more year. :cry: He is definitely have a shot at the starters role in the AHL next year. I know AHL is spilt up like MLB with the NL and AL does Montreals afflitate play the Portland Pirates if so that will bring me to a Pirate game.

Halak has no shot at the starters role assuming Yann Danis is back. Danis was one of the top rookie goalies in the AHL this year, despite a weak defense (Hainsey and Daley were more dangerous in their own end then most forwards) At last years rookie camp, Danis and Henio-Lindberg were imo by far the most impressive goalies. Halak seemed to have some troubles staying too deep in net and out of postion. Halak I think will get the backup spot as he'll likely be up against Michaud as I'm guessing Heino-Lindberg will stay in Sweden and play in the SEL unless the Habs can convince him to come over. Then there's the chance that the Oilers might send a goalie but we'll have to wait and see.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
MrMastodonFarm said:
Five late round steals, all by the same team in two drafts? :shakehead

Me thinks people here need to learn the difference between a steal, and a guy who is "looking for for a late rounder"

HAHAA Yup valid point.

Of those 5 I would say Umicevic and Reddox are the most steal-like, due to their offensive potential.

But the other 3 are solid picks for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad