Late rounder steals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
buckyhockey8 said:
Toronto got Robbie Earl for a song and a dance.
I think you mean a 6th round draft pick, and really.. that is about what he's worth.

Alot of people are starting to look at the 2003, and 2004 draft.. finding players that are playing well and calling them steals. That is just over the top silly. Just because a player is looking for for a (insert round) pick doesn't mean he is a steal. Wait until any of these guys make the NHL before they are a steal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Habsfan 32 said:
2002: Maxime Talbot, Greg Campbell, Peter Kanko.
2003: Alexandre Picard,Stefan Ruzicka,Ryan O'Byrne, Nigel Dawes,Andy Chiodo,Dustin Byfuglien
2004: Mikhail Grabovsky, Dustin Boyd,Wes O'Neil, Evan McGrath

There are some 3rd round picks on that list. I wouldn't be so sure it is an absolutle steal. 3rd round picks are supposed to make the NHL, 9th round picks are not.

Late round steals are guys like Kim Johnsson who was the last pick of the draft

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Wait until any of these guys make the NHL before they are a steal.

then this thread is pointless :p: maybe we should say "potential steals", though i do think the original poster said "guys who would get taken higher"

There are some 3rd round picks on that list. I wouldn't be so sure it is an absolutle steal. 3rd round picks are supposed to make the NHL, 9th round picks are not.

the original poster specifically said 3rd round and up

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Levitate said:
then this thread is pointless
Couldn't agree more. Talking about steals for the past 3 drafts is stupid. All it turns into is "Boy, these guys from my team sure look good, they are steals!"

See: Oiler fan who listed five steals from his team in two drafts.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah but then if you look at the original post, there's still enough of a reason to post on this thread ;)

Who in the past three drafts (2002, 2003 and 2004) do you think was a steal in the later rounds - 3rd or more? Or who do you think has performed over expectations and would probably be taken in the first 2 rounds of their respective year?

while we may not be able to say for sure who's a steal until they see NHL action (though i guess it can depend on how strict you are with the word steal...a prospect who looks a lot better now than when he was drafted might be considered a steal by some) we can always look back and see players who were taken really late and have seemingly done better than their draft status and raised there stock, and i think that's legitimate to mention in this thread. maybe they don't all go on to be quality NHLers but if we look at this from a prospect standpoint...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Couldn't agree more. Talking about steals for the past 3 drafts is stupid. All it turns into is "Boy, these guys from my team sure look good, they are steals!"

See: Oiler fan who listed five steals from his team in two drafts.

You are right that noone has made an impact yet.

but

Maybe people are answering this question, Who would go higher(or substantially higher) in the draft if the draft were redone. I could definately see an argument that in the last two drafts for the Oilers, Brodziak, Umicevic, Bodie, Reddox, and Spurgeon would go higher (probably Brodziak would go substantially higher), while Paukovich, Young, Joukov, and Olsson would probably go lower.

I think it's all semantics though... Broziak may never play a game in the NHL... he will likely not amount to much more than a 3rd liner, but I think it's fair to say that it was a great 7th round choice because the likelyhood of him playing in the NHL is higher than many players chosen above him in the draft... do you consider this a steal? I guess it depends on your definition.

Skroob*

2002 #240 - Petr Prucha
2003 #149 - Nigel Dawes
2003 #180 - Chris Holt (though i dont know if many would agree)

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
DET - Evan McGrath (128)

MTL - Corey Locke (113)
MTL - Christopher Heino-Lindberg (177)
NYI - Bruno Gervais (182)
PHI - Rejean Beauchemin (191)
PIT - Matt Moulson (263)
??? - Alexandr Ovechkin (???) ... well, it was a nice try! :biglaugh:

CAL - Matheiu Lombardi (90)
CHI - James Wisniewski (156)