Last time this team had a respectable backup for more than a year?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I was disappointed when we let Nilsson go and still am.

That was a stupid move by Chia and replaced him with a well knowned declaining Gus the bust.
Nilsson showned that he can steal games with us , Buffalo and know with the nucks. He have a strange style but stops pucks when hes on, when hes off hes a swiss cheese but those games has been more rare.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Last one was Dubnyk, no question. Give LB some reps once the team starts rolling, need to see what we have with him.

Keep a close eye on Ellis in Bako this year, he’s trending straight up.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Either some of you didn't watch the Oilers in 2006 or have a short memory but Markkanen was a very good back up. He was a huge part for getting to the finals after Conklin imploded. MacT ws rotating back up goalies and Conklin drew the straw for the game Roloson got injured. Markkanen was huge for us to get us to game 7. I still blame Staois for that Finals loss.

ha ! i blame d-man M.A. Bergeron for cross checking the opposing player *on top of* Roloson causing him to be injured. if we'd have had a healthy Rolo for the finals that year we may have won the cup ! shoulda, coulda, woulda....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes Talbot Lundquist was a solid tandem. I cant remember the last time we had a backup pushing a starter here.
The backup is only going to legitimately push the starter if the backup actually has the potential to be a #1 guy one day. And that's generally a younger 22-24 year old who has developed nicely in the AHL or Europe.

Majority of teams have a guy (like Quick/Crawford/Holtby/etc.) who are going to play 65 games. So the backup is getting 17 starts. Thus, they don't want to pay that much for the backup.

The Oilers obviously feel that Talbot is a hands down #1 who can start 65 games, so they aren't going to bring in a quality backup. Those types of guys sign with teams where the starter isn't as capable, and thus get closer to 55 starts, leaving the backup with 27 or more starts, and thus a higher pay cheque. Nilsson and Chad Johnson make $2.5 million as the backup for their teams.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It has been confirmed that Brossoit is not an NHL calibre goaltender. Something must be done. Even when Talbot is back he cannot be here. We hear all these rumors of good players like Slepy and Kharia maybe being traded.

I hope we dont have to lose them but SOS chiarelli get this team a backup goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad