Last time this team had a respectable backup for more than a year?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Last year Talbot played ungodly to get us in the playoffs but he shouldnt of even had to do that. Problem is Mclellan knew he couldnt trust Brossoit and had to ride Talbot for all hes worth.

This isnt a new problem. I think the last time this team had a decent goalie tandem for more than 1 year is literally Roloson and Conklin and thats barely a year at serviceable goaltending at best.

Why has this organization ignored the importance of a backup that could win you 12 games a year for as long as they have?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Roloson/Garon were a pretty decent tandem in their day.

Brossoit was actually really good in relief in Vancouver. He... just wasn't good at any other point this season.

But if Talbot can't get it together it won't matter how good his backup is.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I thought Dubnyk backing up the awful Khabby was a decent backup until he took over as the starter. He even had a decent record for a couple of years on some pretty awful Oiler teams.

Reactions: Supermassive

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Nilsson was very solid in the first half of 2015. Cam was horribad, and Anders held the fort until December when Talbot finally showed up. Unfortunately he had a few terrible games of his own after that, but he was, and has continued to be a fine, fine back-up. They reallyyyyy should have held onto him.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nilsson was Dubnyk except worse. Would stand on his head but then let in a backbreaking muffin out of nowhere.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nilsson was very solid in the first half of 2015. Cam was horribad, and Anders held the fort until December when Talbot finally showed up. Unfortunately he had a few terrible games of his own after that, but he was, and has continued to be a fine, fine back-up. They reallyyyyy should have held onto him.
I agree. He had a bad stretch but also an unbelievable stretch. They should have kept him.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Either some of you didn't watch the Oilers in 2006 or have a short memory but Markkanen was a very good back up. He was a huge part for getting to the finals after Conklin imploded. MacT ws rotating back up goalies and Conklin drew the straw for the game Roloson got injured. Markkanen was huge for us to get us to game 7. I still blame Staois for that Finals loss.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Either some of you didn't watch the Oilers in 2006 or have a short memory but Markkanen was a very good back up. He was a huge part for getting to the finals after Conklin imploded. MacT ws rotating back up goalies and Conklin drew the straw for the game Roloson got injured. Markkanen was huge for us to get us to game 7. I still blame Staois for that Finals loss.

Markkanen played well in the Finals but he was a tirefire pretty much the entire regular season.

Decent backup sure.

A good backup is a goalie that is good enough to be a starter on a team in the NHL. Jussi was never that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Brossoit was a respectable backup last season. Didn't get in enough games to be sure, but the results were there for him. He's only had one start this season. Give him a few more before we're ready to write him off.

Reactions: Dempsey

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The real question is why the hell wasn't he backing up Roloson, but Conklin was.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Markkanen played well in the Finals but he was a tirefire pretty much the entire regular season.

Decent backup sure.

A good backup is a goalie that is good enough to be a starter on a team in the NHL. Jussi was never that
So very few NHL teams have a good backup goalie then.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Roloson/Garon were a pretty decent tandem in their day.

Undoubtedly the last time the Oilers had a solid backup. At times in 2007-08 bothstruggled but at least there was a level of confidence putting the other guy in.

Very happy to see how well Talbot played last night. Zero confidence in Brossoit.

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna

A little off topic, by why Staois? I personally blame Bergeron, I don't think we lose game one with Rollie in net and think the Oilers would have been a lot stronger in game two if he was in net.

Reactions: Del Preston

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So very few NHL teams have a good backup goalie then.

That would be correct. With 31 teams you probably have less than 10 teams with a good backup.

15-20 with average and less than 10 with a bad backup.

I think there isnt a lot to distinguish the 40th best goalie in the NHL from the 55th.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I've always thought of good backups as guys that could be starters but don't have the ability to do it long-term with consistency. Starter material in spurts. Consistency seems to be the achilles heel of many excellent backups trying to transition into a starter. Dubnyk was a pretty good backup at the time. Perhaps Garon.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
I feel like a great goalie tandem is a rarity; those tandems are usually split by trades in order to maximize value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad