Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 3.5/5
"In the near future, Major is the first of her kind: a human saved from a terrible crash, then cyber-enhanced to be a perfect soldier devoted to stopping the world’s most dangerous criminals."

Actually really liked this.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Get Out
3.25 out of 4stars

Smart satire about white/black race issues still going on today in a creative and fun manor. Overstuffed with wit, creepiness, and a horror twist as the tools it uses to get it's message(s) across. Definitely in my top 10 films of the year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - 7.5/10

Strangely comforting at times. Good movie on loneliness and messed up people, I thought the female lead in it was Patricia Arquette until I looked it up.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
stream_img.jpg

Paddington 2
(2017) Directed by Paul King 7A

Paddington may have been born in Peru, but he is a very British bear now happily a part of a very nice London family. He still has deep feelings for his beloved Aunt Lucy back in South America and longs to send her a pop-up book of London for her birthday. Before he can save enough money to buy the book, a (not too) nasty villain (Hugh Grant) steals it, and our polite, gentle bear is sent off to prison, the victim of grievous injustice. As you might guess, everything turns out all right in the end. Paddington 2 is currently scoring 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, batting an impressive 150 for 150 among critics in the process. It's easy to see why everyone likes this movie. Paddington 2 is a real charmer, with just the right tone, a lot of fanciful imagination on display, and a plot progression that may be predictable but is also quite clever with frequent sight gags and funny bits that keep things moving along. Paddington 2 may be too sweet, too endearing and just too English for North American tastes, but that's North America's misfortune.

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Finally got around to seeing A Ghost Story.

Wow. I can’t see anything topping that as my favourite film of 2017. I need more time to think about it further and give it a re-watch, but man.

I was a bit mum on it for the first 20 minutes or so, but once it clicked with me, I was left just watching in awe. Affleck and Rooney are both great, the cinematography and editing are brilliant.

There is the one party scene, which I kinda hated at first, but thinking on it more I’ve grown to really like it.

Not sure what score to give it. I don’t really give movies 10’s, but I’m struggling to find a reason not too. Maybe the somewhat slow start, although it’s completley understandable once you watch the whole thing.

For now, I’ll give it a 9.5/10

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Finally got around to seeing A Ghost Story.

Wow....
I guess A Ghost Story is one of those movies where you either love it or you don't. Star Wars Last Jedi, Bright, Colossal and Mother! were all like that this year. They all got very polarizing reviews here and elsewhere.

I think 2017 in films was much like the year in politics (polarizing). I just finished arguing with someone that thought Trump was a very authentic politician. Go figure. Throw in the Weinstein effect in the film industry (an offshoot reaction to 'grab 'em by the p***y', # me too politics), and it closes the circle on the year fittingly. It might just be my imagination but I also think there are more art-house films on the market, perhaps due to an industry disruption caused by the internet. Times are changing but it is hard to measure that change inside the bubble (without the benefit of hindsight).

Has anyone answered the poster Amerika yet on where to find I love You Daddy? I figured someone would PM him by now.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I guess A Ghost Story is one of those movies where you either love it or you don't. Star Wars Last Jedi, Bright, Colossal and Mother! were all like that this year. They all got very polarizing reviews here and elsewhere.

I think 2017 in films was much like the year in politics (polarizing). I just finished arguing with someone that thought Trump was a very authentic politician. Go figure. Throw in the Weinstein effect in the film industry (an offshoot reaction to 'grab 'em by the *****', # me too politics), and it closes the circle on the year fittingly. It might just be my imagination but I also think there are more art-house films on the market, perhaps due to an industry disruption caused by the internet. Times are changing but it is hard to measure that change inside the bubble (without the benefit of hindsight).

Has anyone answered the poster Amerika yet on where to find I love You Daddy? I figured someone would PM him by now.

Yeah, I received an answer. I'm at work but I can PM you later if you want.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
thumbnail_26856.jpg

The Commuter
(2018) Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra 5A

Michael (Liam Neeson) is having a bad day. His son's gargantuan college tuition is coming due and he has just lost his job. Things could hardly get worse. But quickly they do: a strange woman (Vera Farmiga) sits next to him during his commuter train ride back home and makes him an offer that he can't refuse, at least not without endangering the lives of his family. Without anything to go on, Michael must find the one person on the train who doesn't belong there. Fortunately for Michael, he is in the sort of pickle that only Liam Neeson can get him out of--and, of course, Neeson proceeds to do just that. If you can turn your mind completely off--putting it on "low" won't be sufficient--The Commuter is fun in long stretches. Yes, the premise is ridiculous and yes, a lot of what happens badly needs explanations that wouldn't make any sense anyway--but those kind of flaws don't have to be deal breakers in this genre. True, those "youtube" guys who dissect movie stupidity will have a field day ripping the plot of this one to shreds. Nonetheless, there are some pretty good suspense scenes scattered about and Neeson, as always, adds his patented brand of gravitas to the goings on. The Commuter is a watchable bad movie and during this time of the year--the mid winter doldrums for Hollywood films--even modest pleasures such as this one feel like a blessing.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
At this point it's pretty much impossible for me to dislike a Liam Neeson action/thriller. I really hope he doesn't stop them doing them (as he's hinted in recent months) any time soon.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Mudbound - 8.5/10

A film that could've become overly cliched and melodramatic in the wrong hands. Instead, it turns out to be a gripping, suspenseful, bittersweet film with fantastic performances all-around and (mostly) three-dimensional characters.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The Post is supposed to be suspenseful drama about the Pentagon Papers, but all the twists are very predictable, and even feel like they are added just for effect. The worst offender is likely the ending, because it adds nothing to the story. It is also really slow, and there is serious pacing issues, as the ebb-and-flow is all over the place, which just makes the whole experience worst. As a result, I fell asleep during parts of the movie.

The acting is supposed to be the strong suit, with the headline talents of Hanks and Streep, but they basically sleepwalk through the performance. For the very few times in her career, I feel Streep really underwhelms, because her portrayal of the owner of the Washington Post as meek and unsure is just not believable, and perhaps even derails the movie. While the real Kay Graham did express her lack of confidence in her memoir, that was during her first few years as the head of her newspaper. By this point, she had already been at the helm for a couple of years, so she should have been a lot more confident than what Streep demonstrated on screen. I just do not believe her actions through her portrayal.

Honestly, what happened to Spielberg? He is supposed to be one of the best director in the world, and while he still demonstrates impeccable techniques, I am underwhelmed by his most recent works. It seems like he has lost all faith in the audience, and his movies basically beats the message over the head of everyone, with a lot of unnecessary scenes. As a result, they feel overly simplistic and one-dimensional.

I give it a 4/10. It is Oscar bait, and for those who are curious, they can check it out. Otherwise, it can be missed.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Last Jedi wasn't polarizing for me. I thought it was much worse than TFA and a mess of a movie but it wasn't that bad, like a 6 or 6.5/10 and I think lots of others feel the same.

Old School (early 2000s) - 5.5/10

I dunno why I watched this, I don't even think 15 year old me would have liked it much.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
stumbled upon a film that I've never heard about

that tends to happen while browsing through netflx, but what doesn't end up happening is watching it, rating it 10/10, and adding it to my top 20 all-time list

Reactions: Ralph Spoilsport

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
thumbnail_26856.jpg

The Commuter
(2018) Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra 5A

Michael (Liam Neeson) is having a bad day. His son's gargantuan college tuition is coming due and he has just lost his job. Things could hardly get worse. But quickly they do: a strange woman (Vera Farmiga) sits next to him during his commuter train ride back home and makes him an offer that he can't refuse, at least not without endangering the lives of his family. Without anything to go on, Michael must find the one person on the train who doesn't belong there. Fortunately for Michael, he is in the sort of pickle that only Liam Neeson can get him out of--and, of course, Neeson proceeds to do just that. If you can turn your mind completely off--putting it on "low" won't be sufficient--The Commuter is fun in long stretches. Yes, the premise is ridiculous and yes, a lot of what happens badly needs explanations that wouldn't make any sense anyway--but those kind of flaws don't have to be deal breakers in this genre. True, those "youtube" guys who dissect movie stupidity will have a field day ripping the plot of this one to shreds. Nonetheless, there are some pretty good suspense scenes scattered about and Neeson, as always, adds his patented brand of gravitas to the goings on. The Commuter is a watchable bad movie and during this time of the year--the mid winter doldrums for Hollywood films--even modest pleasures such as this one feel like a blessing.

I like the camera work in this one. The action sequences, however, is just stiff and unrealistic.

Like you said, this is a mindless thriller. If one just shuts his or her mind off, then it is a great time waster. Liam Neeson may be 60, as he repeatedly says in the movie, but he is as believable of an action star as there is. He has the formula down to perfection, and even if his movies will never be considered as masterpieces, I will always go check them out, because they are very enjoyable.

It is a good bad movie, so I will give it the same score, 5/10.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I saw both The Florida Project and The Disaster Artist tonight. The Florida Project is a wonderful movie, I highly recommend it. I had Sam Rockwell as a lock for Best Supporting Actor in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri but Willem Dafoe is going to give him a race on that IMO. The Disaster Artist was ok but didn't measure up to The Florida Project (maybe I shouldn't watch two in a row like that). At the beginning I was curious about watching The Room (on which this film is based), but not really anymore (there was talk earlier about the need to watch The Room). James Franco's version of Tommy Wiseau is pretty incredible though, what a great part for an actor.

The Florida Project is going in my top ten if I can fit it in.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I really liked The Florida Project as well. It might be the best thing I've seen come out of Hollywood in 2017. It seems somewhat similar to Beasts of the Southern Wild, with the focus on a very young protagonist. But The Florida Project seems much more sincere and believable, and better in practically every way. But I didn't care much for Beasts of the Southern Wild anyway.

I agree on Dafoe being really good as well, I actually like him more than Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. I have some problems with Rockwell's character in that movie, and that somewhat affects how I feel about his acting, as the two can't really be separated. In any moment, Rockwell's character seems one dimensional, even if it s different dimensions in different scenes, but the dimensions never seem to mix. And Rockwell acts the hell out of his role, but that's not always for the better. I wouldn't be surprised if he won for the role, since flashy acting often gives you awards.

Reactions: Puck

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 1.0 (Negative)
I mean sure, it's competently shot/edited, has half-way decent dialogue/performances, a structure and end-note that generally works/doesn't feel messy, and was pretty watchable, but it also felt like every aspect of it was unquestionably designed purely to be heavy-handed, ridiculously on the nose, and melodramatic Oscar bait that is built around hot topics and is only skin deep. Not something I aggressively hated, but I did also find it really obnoxious.

1. The Red Turtle - 3.5 (Great)
2. Get Out - 3.0 (Very Good)
3. Ladybird - 2.0 (Positive)

4. Blade Runner 2049 - 2.0 (Positive)
5. I, Daniel Blake - 1.5 (Neutral)
----
6. I Love You, Daddy - 1.0 (Negative)
7. Logan - 1.0 (Negative)
8. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 1.0 (Negative)
9. The Last Jedi - 0.5 (Bad)
10. Spiderman Homecoming - 0.5 (Bad)

Leaning towards watching a Kore-eda movie next. Slowly ramping down in accessibility, I guess. The last few movies I watched have only made me appreciate Get Out more, actually, so that might rise.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Greatest showman

5 out of ten

While the music numbers were okay. The played with history too much. PT Barnum was a major league asshole who slept around and neglected his entire family. Best example is when his wife and the mother of his four children died suddenly he was in Europe. Not only didn't he come back for the funeral he remarried 10 weeks after her death.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The Mountain Between Us - 1.5/10

The wife has been wanting to watch it, and I ended up reading the book when we were on vacation (she had bought it and I ran out of my books), so we thought we’d watch it the other day.

It absolutely ruins the book. It strips away anything that has meaning and doesn’t even make the characters likeable.

The most ironic thing in the book, is that on the surface you’ve got a “weak” woman (a journalist who’s injured and can’t escape on her own) and a “badass” man (a surgeon who climbs mountains), but the characters are almost the exact opposite of that. The woman is a flat out badass, and the man is a damaged sensitive type.

Obviously someone writing the movie didn’t like the idea of a woman “needing” a man, so the movie almost completely flips the 2 characters, and destroys both. Instead of a badass woman and a sensitive man, you’ve got a cheater and an ***hole who you couldn’t care less about.

There’s almost nothing the movie doesn’t change (including their names), to the point where it’s hard to see the source material. Obviously you have to make some tweaks for the movie, but this is a whole new story. Kate Winslet also didn’t fit the part at all. It MIGHT be watchable if you haven’t read the book, but if you have read the book, it’s beyond terrible.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The post 5 out of ten

It could have been great. But due to a rush production schedule it left me wanting. Spielberg shot this right after ready player one went into post production. It started filming in May of 2017 and was done by July. The rush is seen on the screen and I think it is more trying to show a parallel between trump and Nixon them telling the actual story. The NY TIMES must be livid on how the story is vowed and told.

It does not stand up to the historical facts to well. The Washington post was viewed as being a carpet bagger on the story by most historians.

Acting is good but the drama seemed forced and I think that hurts the movie

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What If (2013) - 5/10

Zoe Kazan is annoying, Daniel Radcliffe is pathetic, Adam Drive is there, and this rom-com is stupid.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Mary and the Witch's Flower
2.5 out of 4stars

Visually intriguing, but the story feels shallower, underdeveloped, and less original than any "other Ghibli" film I've seen.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Commuter
2.25 out of 4stars

Impractical, cliched, sloppy, and some of the action scenes feel a bit oddly shot/edited to me(off a bit for whatever reason). Yet, still enjoyable. The introduction is dull, but once the premise kicks in, things get more intriguing and it culminates to a good finale with some decent touches/decisions along the way and of course, Neeson sells it really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad