Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I found myself far more interested in the interview portions compared to the speculative re-enactments. The interview with Sy Hersh in particular was a highlight for me.

Me too. I don't know why they needed or wanted name actors for it either. I think it would have been better tightened up with one less episode.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I guess A Ghost Story is one of those movies where you either love it or you don't. Star Wars Last Jedi, Bright, Colossal and Mother! were all like that this year. They all got very polarizing reviews here and elsewhere.

I just saw Colossal, and I'll place myself firmly in the "enjoyed it" camp. Sure, it may not have gotten everything out of its premise, but it still got a lot.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I just saw Colossal, and I'll place myself firmly in the "enjoyed it" camp. Sure, it may not have gotten everything out of its premise, but it still got a lot.
Yeah wasn't that a strange but enjoyable movie. That one was a kihei recommendation along with After the Storm. I think I found Paterson on my own. Those three quirky little films were among my best during the late Winter doldrums last year.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Hostiles is a really interesting movie. I can understand why people can be put off by the rather measured pace, but I really enjoyed this tale on the human condition, and a broken man's journey to recover his long lost humanity, buoyed by strong performances all around. While it may or may not be the intention of the director, I also thought it is a nice homage to The Searchers, as both main characters undergoes a similar change, and both utilizes the same scenery to great effect. The only aspect that I disliked is the ending, and it would probably be better if it is left even more ambiguous, but it is not fatal, and merely a case of dealer's choice.

I give it a 6.5/10. It may not be for everyone, but this is a very well-done film.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Lucky-Film-Harry-Dean-Stanton-676x330.jpg

Lucky 2017 8.5/10

It made me smile.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
How the hell did people make it through the 5 hour cut of Underground....I've been trying to finish this film for like 5 days now with the 3 hour cut and I still have more than an hour left. I hate it, I hate the constant drone of Serbian gypsy music and these two piece of shit leads.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Finally saw Get Out.

It was so f***ing good. I’m no movie buff but give it all the awards you want. Felt like an absolutely perfect movie.

10/10

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just made it through The Room... all of it... in one sitting. Is there some award or medal or certificate of recognition that one receives?

(No, I didn't forget to rate it)

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Been meaning to watch this for years. Gonna wait until right before I watch The Disaster Artist

That's what I did last night. It's an entertaining combo. Here's my review of The Disaster Artist from its own thread:
Osprey said:
I just watched The Room (for the first time) and The Disaster Artist back to back. It was like watching a movie and then all of the DVD/Blu-ray extras (that were more interesting than the film, itself). Compared to The Room, The Disaster Artist felt like a masterpiece and I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say that there's anything remarkable about it (though Franco's performance is pretty good). It's your standard biopic... except with a more off-kilt subject.

The closest comparison is, obviously, Ed Wood, but that had more mass appeal and didn't require you to have seen Plan 9 from Outer Space. This is pretty much just for "fans" of The Room, IMO, since there are so many scenes (especially re-enactments of original scenes) that would probably just seem weird, out of context or disturbing if you're not already familiar with them. If you know all of the scenes, though, it can be pretty interesting to learn what was going on between takes and why scenes ended up as they did.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen The Room, but, for those that have and can find entertainment in that awful film, The Disaster Artist is a perfect companion film.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Shape of Water
2.8 out of 4stars

It's a good movie and well made, but I guess the critical hype had me thinking it would have been better, although I believe most of the movies Del Toro makes feel underwhelming when I see them, imo. And I also have a number of gripes with the movie:

You base a central story around a sea monster and a woman, yet you treat the monster as some underdeveloped being almost the whole movie through, and almost entirely vague at the sequel? I found the side stories more developed than the "merman" in the movie. Poor choice.

That freaking fairy tale ending. Not only do they make a realistic/feeling realistic esque movie if scenario A happened during 19XX, but they send the movie 0-100 in the blink of a freaking eye. Omnipotent self-healing and regenerating powers to create the most absolutely ideal perfect outcome ending to this story? Are you freaking kidding me? The movie about broken people/people with holes, treating sea man like a freaking sign-language gorilla/chimpanzee for 95% of the movie, who she has sex with (creating a super beastiality, pretty close to taking advantage of an "animal"-esque/interspecies vibe). Why in the world would sea man let people torture him if he was smart and that powerful too? Amongst other things that went on knowing sea man's powers.

I know with a deaf person and creature that doesn't speak at all, it's not easy to create a relationship, but it went really fast from friendly bonding and teaching to sexual/forever mates relationship(was there even any sensuality developed or signs of romance? I didn't see it, just odd).

The first half of the movie feels like a humanizing drama mostly, but the last half feels more love story than anything else and the ending just added to it.

Some of the movie decisions/storytelling I thought also, especially with some side characters alone, felt cookie cutter and like they pulled away from the central themes/emotions/intellect built from the main story without adding much significance/depth to the story or characters itself.

I don't know.

I don't know, the movie to me felt like people took repeated themes/concepts but implemented them in MOSTLY creative and intriguing ways. Dialogue was mostly great too, but I don't know if I've ever seen such a good movie and disagreed with some of the major decisions made in it. Weird.

Reactions: kihei

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Molly's Game (2017) - 1/5
"Molly Bloom, a young skier and former Olympic hopeful becomes a successful entrepreneur (and a target of an FBI investigation) when she establishes a high-stakes, international poker game."

To quote the film's protagonist: "Did anything good come of this? Not really."

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Molly's Game (2017) - 1/5
"Molly Bloom, a young skier and former Olympic hopeful becomes a successful entrepreneur (and a target of an FBI investigation) when she establishes a high-stakes, international poker game."

To quote the film's protagonist: "Did anything good come of this? Not really."

I think it's time for Aaron Sorkin to leave the world alone.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
My favourite Val Kilmer performance so far, Robert Downie could basically have used this as an audition tape for Iron Man, and Michelle Monaghan should've been in more movies. This is probably better than The Nice Guys, its story is a bit more cohesive and style is more fun even if Gosling/Crowe were the better duo.

This movie has such great rewatchability. Just a lot of fun.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
All the Money in the World is a hard one to rate. It takes a lot of liberty with the actual event, and yet, it still cannot deliver a compelling story. Everything seems to fall into place conveniently, and I am quite bored by it, as a result. Still, I have to wonder how much does that have to do with the re-shoots. While I understand that the studio probably just want to salvage whatever they can from it, it probably have been a better idea to either scrap the whole thing, or shoot it again, because it seems rushed and a little bit incoherent. Frankly, it often feels like two different movies slapped together at times.

Like the movie, Mark Wahlberg is a complete enigma. Why does he pick roles that are basically useless to the advancement of the plot? It happened in Patriots Day, and it happens again in All the Money in the World. Even without his character, both movies will reach the exact same conclusion, because he adds absolutely nothing to the plot. I also do not understand the praise for Plummer. It is just a typical Plummer performance, and his version of Getty is quite plain. Personally, I thought Spacey's version in the trailers is a lot more interesting, but again, I understand that he has to be replaced, in light of all the accusations against him. Thus, I still think it may have been better to just write the movie off completely, because it will save a lot of headaches.

That said, it is not all that bad, as Michelle Williams continues to deliver what is asked of her. The way she is paid a lot less than Wahlberg is just criminal, because she is the only good thing to come out of this mess. Who would have thought the girl from Dawson's Creek would develop into such a fine actress?

I give it a 4/10. The mise-en-scene is beautiful, and Williams gives a great performance, but those two are not enough to warrant a viewing. It can be skipped, unless you are really, really curious.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Finally saw Get Out.

It was so ****ing good. I’m no movie buff but give it all the awards you want. Felt like an absolutely perfect movie.

10/10

Still don't get all the love for this movie... so many holes... stupid plot...

Pretty much rolled my eyes into my head at the end.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Wailing - 8/10

Good Korean horror movie. Everything looked really good and I liked the touches of ambiguity in the story. If I was particularly fond of the genre I would probably rate it even higher.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - 6/10.

Very good acting, interesting general premise and some good plot points. Very bad attempt at depicting small town life though, some odd casting choices, a bit transparent in its pandering at times and while the main character is quite interesting I couldn't take the way people react to her seriously. I like McDonagh but this wasn't nearly as good as In Bruges.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Phantom Thread
3.35 out of 4stars

"I think expectations and assumptions are what cause heartache”

Wow, there is a lot going on in this drama about a relationship and a controlling, obsessive compulsive almost, genius's life. Tension, wisdom, idealism, reality, honesty, life, happiness, obviously relationships, etc. Of course the acting and dialogue are top notch. I feel like if I talk too much about parts of this I'll spoil it, so I'll leave it at that. But there are a lot of conversational points in this movie.

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Lucky-Film-Harry-Dean-Stanton-676x330.jpg

Lucky 2017 8.5/10

It made me smile.
Wasn't that a great little movie. Very Zen. The turtoise guy was David Lynch, the Twin Peaks Director (that made me laugh for some strange reason). I also recognized Tom Skerrit and James Darren from very old movies.

I had mentioned The Lucky Man (2018) last week as a joke (another Lucky title) but that one is awful, stay away. I watched it out of curiosity, I think I fast-forwarded most of it.

However I did see Once Upon a Time in Venice this week. This is a B movie (drive-in style) and it's getting blasted on reviews (for some good reasons I suppose). But it might be one of the better B movies from last year, it made me laugh. Aside from Bruce Willis, it's got John Goodman and Jason Mamoa. I thought this was going to be bad (and it is on some dimension) but it also surprised me with its quirkiness. It's a good late-night movie if you're tired. But I'm not suggesting it if you have a string of Academy Award nominated movies yet to watch on your to-do list.

On Academy nominations, I caught The Post this week too. I really loved it but I'm a politics junkie. Although I would still rate Three Billboards and Florida Project above it by a fraction. I still have a few to watch like Darkest Hour, The Shape of Water and Phantom Thread. Everyone is writing their lengthy reviews for the Academy nominees lately, I'll spare you mine.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Still don't get all the love for this movie... so many holes... stupid plot...

Pretty much rolled my eyes into my head at the end.

I was totally ready to roll my eyes as well considering how often critics tend to overrate films with the “correct” themes, but I was absolutely blown away by how great it was.

Maybe that’s in part because my expectations were tempered as I was genuinely expecting some tired SJW pandering but I felt none of that; and I was probably wrong to expect it because the terrible SJW stuff always comes from the white left, not funny/talented black creators.

As far as plot holes go, I enjoyed the movie more as a comedy than anything else, so I don’t tend to pay much attention to ‘plot holes’ in a comedy.

The woman who played Regina did such a good job. I was dying laughing at the scene when the main guy confronts her about the cell phone in the bedroom.

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Baby Driver - A-
Fun, entertaining, and an excellent soundtrack. It was wall to wall music, but it worked. It got a bit silly at the end, but overall it was very enjoyable still. Extra points for just being different.

I, Tonya - solid B
Also fun and entertaining. Margot Robbie was really good too. There was almost as much music in this as in Baby Driver. Whereas in Baby Driver music was part of the story, the music here was almost a distraction. My only real complaint was the overbearing music and maybe the pacing. The whole thing was short scenes with quick pacing and soundtrack in and out of them. A bit of short attention-span theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad