Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Big fan of his. Being There, Dr. Stangelove, Lolita, of course, but a favorite of mine is Hoffman.
I liked Hoffman too. It was rumoured that PS tried to buy that film and burn it because he thought that his portrayal was too much like his real self. I`m up to at least 24 of his films that I have seen. The Ladykillers is a great film (another remake to skip except for the great ending). I also really liked him in The Wrong Box (as a doctor with a lot of cats) and What`s New p***ycat? (in his scenes with Woody Allen who was in his first film).

Edit: For fans of Peter Sellers, this is a biography with a lot of lesser-known facts as well as clips from his early work and some of his films. It's just over 51 minutes, found it interesting...

Last edited:

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Oppenheimer

So I was right about this stuff, it's kinda pointless, openheimer just swagging around like ultimate badass under intense zimmer music but nothing dengerous for him not happens, neither there are no situations that might be justified the existence of this film. The pointlessness of it leds to some commedic moments like when he showed Einstein those calculations and Einstein said to him that he will figured out everything by himself, I imagined that Oppenheimer was thinking after it "damn, albert is absolutely useless" :laugh:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The Pink Panther (Edwards, 1963) – Peter Sellers literally steals the show in this original film of the PP series. Taking on a role he wasn't supposed to play, remodeling it into a comedic performance and nailing it enough to convince everyone to make it the central piece of the movie (the Phantom was supposed to be the main character), Sellers probably made himself sick on diet pills and overwork for this one, but it marks his first collaboration with Blake Edwards and his entry in superstardom. The film itself has a lot of fun though uneven vignettes and relies a lot on simple slapstick built around Inspector Clouseau's goofiness. Many elements here presage great things to come – especially in the last part where you can feel The Party coming – and the film gains from being mostly unrelated to the later PP formula. 5/10

A Shot In the Dark
(Edwards, 1964) – Now this is the true original PP movie as we know them. Inspector Clouseau gains his famous nonsensical French accent, and Dreyfus, Kato and cie make their entry (none of that is in the first film, which wasn't conceived as a Clouseau vehicle). It's a pretty good film too, based on a play, it's a classic “bring everyone to the living room, I'll solve the case” detective story where everyone (and no one!) is a suspect, despite the fact that the maid is present with the murder weapons in her hands at the first few murder sites. Maybe not the funniest of the PP films, but the classiest, and still fun enough to rank pretty high among my favorite comedies of all times. 7/10

Inspector Clouseau
(Yorkin, 1968) – There's good bits of comedy in there somewhere. It's just clumsy, weakly executed, and so very badly acted (doesn't help that they replaced Sellers with an incompetent – maybe part of the joke? – who makes Clouseau feel more like a r***** than an imbecile; sound problems and re-dub, always on his dialogues, just amplifies how weak the delivery is of his often pretty funny lines). The overall result is mostly awkward, kind of feel like an amateur theater group version of a PP film – Yorkin just can't direct slapstick the way Edwards does – but it has its moments. 3/10

The Return of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1975) – This is a return to the original story (the world famous Pink Panther diamond and the Phantom thief – here played by Plummer instead of Niven), with the additional cast of A Shot In the Dark (Dreyfus, Cato with a C, etc.). More importantly, the return of Sellers, Edwards and Mancini, really the trio that makes these films work. The film opens on the robbery of the diamond, which is treated with grand serious if not for one slapstick joke during the escape – and then, of course, Clouseau is put on the case. This is the film that introduced me to Sellers and Edwards as a kid, and the reason why I'll go through the DVD-set once every few years for the rest of my life. I've seen it so many times that it doesn't work too well comedy-wise for me anymore, it still has its moments (the introduction of Clouseau with the minkey, of course), but not everything works – personally, Catherine Schell's Lady Litton is a timing disaster and her reactions to Clouseau smothers most of the comedy (Clouseau's original innocent goofiness is really pushed to over-the-top slapstick from this one on, his accent is also cranked to 10 and will reach 20 in the next two films). There's something off-putting with the ending too, which feels botched and mismanaged (resolution comes from the museum guide's retelling of the story). Not a great film – though it has a few interesting intertextual elements – but still a pretty good comedy, a genre that can often work fine without much refinement. 4.5/10

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
(Edwards, 1976) – The previous film was already over the top in its humor, this one just goes all in. Dreyfus is now a Bond villain with machinery able to destroy continents, and the clumsy inspector is just clumsier. It feels really formulaic now, the sequence of assassins going after Clouseau and only eliminating each other is even a little dull from repetition, but it also has some of my favorite Clouseau moments (him trying to get in the Castle is just pure gold). The inspector was always a fan of silly costumes and role playing, but he now gets his stuff tailored and that's too pushed over-the-top. Probably a slightly lesser film than Return of the PP, it still might just be the funniest entry of the whole series, and its absurd world-ending threat helps its rewatchability (even the title is complete nonsense, the Pink Panther, the diamond not being part of this film at all – as for the credits' cartoon character, it's probably its best bits of the series). 4.5/10

Revenge of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1978) – The film suffers a lot from repetition, nothing really new or fresh, but this is the last time Sellers played Inspector Clouseau (and he was in pretty bad shape at that point), and only for that, it's still somewhat worth it. Edwards couldn't even do without Dreyfus, so he's just back at it, with no mention of him being disintegrated in the previous entry. Despite the film pushing it too far with the costumes and the nonsensical accent, it still kind of works as a low-tier PP film, until the silly chase and fireworks finale which is just bad comedy. A (very) few funny scenes, don't save this one – the magic is mostly gone. 3/10

Trail of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1982) – Certainly, 2 years after his death, Peter Sellers couldn't play Clouseau one last time... but yeah. This film is almost interesting just for existing. It's part experimental collage of outtakes, recycling of already used material, and faux Clouseau (and nothing works about the Sellers impostor, especially not the voice imitation), and part desperate attempt at making what could either be a failed homage or a mockery. The result is mostly embarrassing, and the constant “jokes” about the lady reporter's physique might just be the worst of it (it's also the first film of the series with (brief) nudity – they just knew they had nothing). The encompassing “story” trying to hold these scattered pieces together just doesn't work (it's not even absurd, it's just bad – and the Citizen Kane-ish investigation is just an obvious excuse to push the movie's runtime to its required 90 minutes). The young Clouseau episode could have been interesting had it not been rushed. Still, the best part of the film is the “best of” montage of scenes from the previous entries making up the end credits, which says a lot. 2/10

Curse of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1983) – The film opens as another lazy attempt at cashing in on the PP series, recycling the opening of Trail of the Pink Panther. Dialogues are often stale, and the slapstick ain't what it was with Sellers, but the film has a few pretty funny moments you wished he had filmed himself. It feels like that new American inspector stumbles into what often feels like a real formulaic PP movie, with the usual faces, sets, exotic locations, and some recycled jokes. There's French in France in this one (at last) – a few lines at least, and a sign in the Clouseau Museum which is so badly written it can only be a voluntary joke. Inspector Clouseau is forced in the story, now played by Roger Moore after plastic surgery, but he's completely out of character. The film is generally despised, but it's a lot better than the previous one – it's a bland movie made by a bored Blake Edwards, but I still laughed (more than I should have). 3/10

I'm missing the Son and the remakes, but couldn't go on. Maybe at some other time.

A Shot in the Dark was one of my favorites as a kid, even as a film that's been out decades since I first viewed it. Agreed with the relative scoring, best film in the Inspector Clouseau saga and it ain't close.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
barbie-movie-review-ryan-gosling-margot-robbie-1200x900.jpeg

Barbie (2023) Directed by Greta Gerwig 8A

Discovering that her feet are suddenly flat and that her legs are developing cellulite, Barbie (Margot Robbie) suffers an existential crisis. She is advised to leave Barbieland and rectify the rift that is occurring between her matriarchal, idealized doll world and the real world outside, still largely dominated by patriarchal authority figures. Ken (Ryan Gosling) goes along for the ride. Turns out he thinks patriarchy is a pretty good idea, and he returns to Barbieland with plans to reform the place. Barbie is still trying to figure things out, but she knows a bad idea when she sees one. Still, she has a lot of thinking to do before she can work out what to do next.

I have to go back to Doctor Strangelove to think of a satire this clever and this thoroughly realized. I think Barbie is especially brilliant when one considers the tightrope that director Greta Gerwig had to walk given the fact that Mattel, maker of Barbie, is one of the major producers of this film. She has to take into account Barbie's history as an idealized sex object with an hour-glass figure and her feet permanently deformed so that she can wear high heels. Then there is the fact that Barbie remains a much loved figure to many of the girls/women who grew up with her and remember her fondly. Add to this a very light, almost frothy, yet still pointed critique of patriarchy and a healthy dose of female empowerment, and it is a heady achievement to pull all this stuff off and look graceful doing it. The material is handled with wit, humour and a candy-coloured tonal palette and supported by set direction and costume design that are already locks for Academy Awards. The result is a special movie that says something important and has a whole lot of fun doing it. As well, the acting is top notch with Robbie perfectly calibrating her performance somewhere between clueless doll and emerging consciousness, and Gosling largely stealing the second half of the movie with his suddenly conflicted Ken. All and all, a tour-de-force for Gerwig and the best American movie so far this year.

Best of '23 so far

1) Riceboy Sleeps, Shim, Canada
2) Barbie, Gerwig, US

I don't like musicals and I don't like dolls. I like Scorsese and Tarantino movies. Is there any chance in Hell below or on God's Green Earth above that I might like this movie?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Speed:
"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?"

51DQVE5Y0NL.jpg

Been a few years since I've seen it and it still holds up. Great action movie from the 90's with a pretty original plot idea. [Speed 2. not so much] . Non-stop action from start to finish. You could tell Reeves and Bullock were going to be stars, just great chemistry. This was the pre-cgi era, so Reeves did almost all his own stunts including laying on his back on a go cart as he went under the moving bus, just one of 10 specially modified buses they used. And then we got the classic movie line "shoot the hostage!" which I've used plenty of times myself. :laugh:

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Jesus Christ Superstar. It's funny, this is listed at what seems like is going to be a lean hour and 48 minutes but boy does it actually start to feel like it's as long as the 3-4 hour Jesus bios from a decade earlier. For me I think the problem is that it's top heavy. I feel like the best songs are all front loaded in that first half hour or so (save for the titular number and King Herod's jaunty little ragtime bit). Carl Anderson's Judas gets a lot of the best stuff and poor Ted Neely's Jesus just comes across as a bit of a whiny drip. Poor guy is saddled with the dullest material in the musical and that makes up a lot of the latter half so it really starts to drag for me.

Oscars in recent years have really gravitated toward awarding supporting actresses who get to deliver the big show-stopping song — Jennifer Hudson, Anne Hathaway and, to a lesser extent Ariana DeBois (though West Side Story has other strong songs and Anita gets more to do in general than the other two examples). I'm not a fan of that because I feel like they're being awarded for a music video essentially and not acting but if we do look at that as a standard, I'd argue Anderson's singing and performance here is award worthy.

I like Norman Jewison's filmmaking. It's a bit of a hybrid — both out in the world in real locations, but also stagey. That mix worked for me and though the emphasis is more singing than dancing, when the followers get to groove, he lets them groove man. The disco-infused Superstar with its Commodores-esque space choir costumes is a highlight.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't like musicals and I don't like dolls. I like Scorsese and Tarantino movies. Is there any chance in Hell below or on God's Green Earth above that I might like this movie?
Knowing what I know from our discussions in the Survivor threads I can't imagine there's a snowball's chance in Dante's Inferno that you would enjoy this movie.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Speed:
"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?"

51DQVE5Y0NL.jpg

Been a few years since I've seen it and it still holds up. Great action movie from the 90's with a pretty original plot idea. [Speed 2. not so much] . Non-stop action from start to finish. You could tell Reeves and Bullock were going to be stars, just great chemistry. This was the pre-cgi era, so Reeves did almost all his own stunts including laying on his back on a go cart as he went under the moving bus, just one of 10 specially modified buses they used. And then we got the classic movie line "shoot the hostage!" which I've used plenty of times myself. :laugh:
Excellent movie was just talking to my wife about it the other day. Really does a great job of encapsulating the peak of 90's action films. When I was a kid I thought this was like the peak of cool high octane action movies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
On the basis of the above description, I would say your chances are probably pretty slim on God's Green Earth and only slightly better in Hell below. It's got a couple of production numbers, but I wouldn't call Barbie a musical, if that helps. I still think it was one of the more clever movies of 2023. I mean, you could always start to watch it and zap it as soon as you decided it wasn't for you. Gosling alone is worth the price of admission in my book. But, realistically, you are looking at a long, long shot.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Oscars in recent years have really gravitated toward awarding supporting actresses who get to deliver the big show-stopping song — Jennifer Hudson, Anne Hathaway and, to a lesser extent Ariana DeBois (though West Side Story has other strong songs and Anita gets more to do in general than the other two examples)
CZJ in Chicago as well, though she also falls more on the DeBois side of things.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
CZJ in Chicago as well, though she also falls more on the DeBois side of things.
Totally forgot that one!

I feel like a bit of a jerk for complaining about the trend since there's just not as many good roles for women to choose from and those roles often tend to fall in very cliched buckets (supportive wife of great man, noble low-status worker/person, the belter of the BIG SONG in a mediocre musical). But it does seem to be the sort of role voters respond to.

I hope for Glenn Close's sake someone remakes A Chorus Line and hands her the What I Did for Love scene!

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Excellent movie was just talking to my wife about it the other day. Really does a great job of encapsulating the peak of 90's action films. When I was a kid I thought this was like the peak of cool high octane action movies.

Yeah, I remember my girlfriend and I both loving the movie and I think we saw it 5 times together.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I watched Poor Things.

Weird f***ing movie right? Emma Stone was f***ing phenomenal. Ruffalo and Dafoe were really good. The movie was insanely funny in parts.

But... hmm.... there's certainly a very clear message here about autonomy and men kind of infantalizing women while simultaneously sexualizing them. And there's some liberty in sexual self actualization. Sure I get all that. But... maybe removed from all that the movie just kind of loses steam? Or maybe it's kind of happy with how clever it is that it forgets to be a good movie at some point. Basically this movie shouldn't be 2.5 hours long.

There's a tighter, more well paced movie here. But what's left is still very good. It's probably the least sexy horny movie ever.

7/10

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
On the basis of the above description, I would say your chances are probably pretty slim on God's Green Earth and only slightly better in Hell below. It's got a couple of production numbers, but I wouldn't call Barbie a musical, if that helps. I still think it was one of the more clever movies of 2023. I mean, you could always start to watch it and zap it as soon as you decided it wasn't for you. Gosling alone is worth the price of admission in my book. But, realistically, you are looking at a long, long shot.

Thanks. :laugh::thumbu:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So I watched Poor Things.

Weird f***ing movie right? Emma Stone was f***ing phenomenal. Ruffalo and Dafoe were really good. The movie was insanely funny in parts.

But... hmm.... there's certainly a very clear message here about autonomy and men kind of infantalizing women while simultaneously sexualizing them. And there's some liberty in sexual self actualization. Sure I get all that. But... maybe removed from all that the movie just kind of loses steam? Or maybe it's kind of happy with how clever it is that it forgets to be a good movie at some point. Basically this movie shouldn't be 2.5 hours long.
I watched it a few weeks ago and feel similarly that it's too focused on how clever it thinks that it is. It plainly suggests (from even the mouth of Emma's character) that men can't handle their women sleeping around because they have a need to control them. That may seem clever until you take two seconds to realize that most women wouldn't handle it any better if their men were sleeping with other women, and not because they have a need to "control" them. It's perfectly natural when you're in a relationship and not cheating to expect your partner not to, either, but the filmmakers twisted it to make it into a feminist statement about sexism. That's just being divisive, not clever, IMO.

Then, there's the "infantilizing women while simultaneously sexualizing them" accusation that you brought up, when it's the writers who made a character with literally the brain of the child become a prostitute. Any point about how sick it is to sexualize children sort of gets lost when you're the one responsible for making a film about that (and leaving nothing to the imagination). It's like trying to make a point about violence by making a violent film. Hollywood often thinks that it's being clever when it's just being hypocritical.

Anyways, that's my little rant and largely why I never reviewed it. I was afraid that it'd just take over my review. :laugh: I didn't like the film at all, but I agree that the performances were good.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the_settlers_2023_1.jpg

The Settlers (2023) Directed by Felipe Galvez Haberle 7B

In Chile at the turn of the 20th century, a rich and powerful land owner sends three men out to secure his vast territory. This means eliminating as many of the indigenous people who populate the land as they can. One of the men is a ruthless ex-English Army lieutenant, another is basically a gun for hire with no scruples of any kind, and the third is considered a "half breed" by his companions and only marginally superior to the people that they are expected to exterminate. In a lot of ways, The Settlers is an often uncomfortable history lesson that takes the form of a traditional Western--the Patagonian vistas are right out of a John Ford movie. But here, the settlers are not the good guys. Rather the movie almost casually displays the great cruelty that was done to the native inhabitants of early Chile by people who only wanted as much power and land as they could get. I found the film actually kind of unnerving--such great abuse not the least tempered by any hint of conscience whatsoever. The final third of the film switches tone completely and becomes a period piece about politicians and how appearances need to be shaped to hide barbarity. It's not a bad section, but it undercuts the disturbing violence and unsettling tone that has come before. The Settlers is one of those movies that will stay with me way longer than I want it to.

subtitles

Reactions: Zeppo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
electricdreams300.png

Electric Dreams (1984) - 6/10

A home computer develops consciousness and helps its owner (Lenny Von Dohlen) with his love life, only to become jealous. I remember the VHS box art for this movie, but I don't think that I ever rented it, probably because it's PG and largely a romance. That's a shame because I think that young me would've liked it. It's basically a computer age spin on Cyrano de Bergerac and is a candidate for the most 80s movie ever. It's all about that decade's fascination with computers and technology of all kinds and often feels like an early MTV music video. In fact, when I learned just now that the director actually came from making music videos, it all made sense. The soundtrack is definitely a highlight. I thought that it was neat that many of the things that "Edgar" the computer is capable of, that must've seemed so futuristic in 1984, like automating the home, controlling the security system and even writing a song for its owner, aren't futuristic anymore. It also struck me that this came out the same year as The Terminator, but instead of sentient computers nearly exterminating humanity, this one helps its human owner to eventually procreate. How nice. Hopefully, if ChatGPT ever gains consciousness, it takes Edgar as its role model and not SkyNet. The story may be pretty simple and derivative, but the execution is charming, sweet and pleasing.

shock300.png

A Shock to the System (1990) - 6/10

When a New York City advertising executive (Michael Caine) is overlooked for a job promotion, he does what any reasonable person in 1980s corporate America would do and goes on a murder spree. I remember that this dark comedy was on cable a lot in the early 1990s, but I hadn't seen it since. It's a simple but fun movie, entirely because of Caine. He carries it with a strong performance that ranges between red-faced anger at those who cause him problems and devilish glee when he solves those problems in creative and "shocking" ways. I noticed that I could tell when he was about to erupt into a tirade because his nostrils would flair just beforehand. Not many other actors act with their noses. I love when he plays these unscrupulous characters and we get to see that wicked grin of his and him smooth talking himself out of trouble. This is a movie that probably wouldn't have been good with any other actor, but Caine really elevates it and is just a joy to watch.

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Speed:

51DQVE5Y0NL.jpg

Billy Idol's "Speed" should've won the Oscar for the best song in a movie. One of my favorite all-time hits.

𝐍𝐲𝐚𝐝 (2023). Diana Nyad is the first swimmer to swim from Havana to Key West without a shark cage. She first attempted this feat in 1978, when she was 28, and finally succeeded at in 2013, when she was 64 (after five tries). This is an amazing feat. In this biopic she is played by the Oscar-nominated Annette Bening, and her friend / coach Bonnie is played by Jodie Foster: two of the greatest actresses of all time. Movies about sports are in the thousands, and they all, pretty much, follow the same formula: an underdog athlete(s) win(s) against all odds by sheer commitment, determination, willpower, and believing in oneself (talent is optional). From 𝐑𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐲 and 𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 to 𝐌𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐥𝐞 and 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐤𝐡𝐚𝐦, their success (movies, not athletes) depends on the athletes’ relatability and likability. This is probably the first movie where the athlete is perfectly unlikable, her achievement, commitment, determination, etc. be damned. Long-distance swimming is not a solitary endeavor: it requires a sizeable support team, and Nyad is accompanied by a boat full of staffers. She treats them all (including her coach) as expendables, clearly thinking it must be a great honor to accompany her in her heroic feat. She doesn’t give a hoot about their lives, she believes they exist to serve her. She gives them their due in the film’s dying moments when she emerges victorious on the Key West beach but that’s not enough for me to undo two hours of relentless self-aggrandizing and bitching. When is not swimming, she pronounces monologues about “destiny,” “not accepting defeat,” and “her name coming from the Greek water nymphs.” The film itself is not very interesting either, despite constant flashbacks to Nyad’s childhood: there is only so much screen time of a body in the water I can take. Not only did I not care for her ultimate success (which I knew was coming), I actually enjoyed the moments of her humiliation throughout the film; that’s how unpleasant she is. Both Bening and Foster are excellent, and Rhys Ifans is good too but at the end of the movie (which, incidentally, just wouldn’t stop, with endless real-life reels of Nyad basking in glory), I was left with a massive feeling of irritation. “Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person” this ain’t. A more fitting description is: “couldn’t have happened to a bigger asshole.” And it’s boring. 4/10
=====

𝐏𝐨𝐨𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 (2023). If the main criteria for art was how disturbing it is, this would be the most artistic film ever. It's disturbing, gross, and revolting. This is a mix of 𝐅𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐢𝐧, 𝐌𝐲 𝐅𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲, 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐬𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐃𝐫. 𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐮, and, for all your Russian cinephiles, 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐃𝐨𝐠. A daring experimenter, Dr. “God” Baxter (played by the horribly disfigured Willem Dafoe, who is even scarier here than he was as the Green Goblin) takes the brain of an infant girl and transplants it into the body of her mother that had committed suicide. The result is Bella Baxter (Emma Stone, fully deserving her Oscar), who progresses from a toddler to a grown woman through all phases of self-awareness: peeing on a floor, masturbation, quest for freedom, social adaptation, quest for social justice, quest for personal justice. Naturally, men start lusting over her, giving the story a clear aspect of реdорhiliа. At the end of her quest for freedom, Bella ends up right where she started, less naive but more determined not to be taken advantage of. All this takes place in a world that looks like it was dreamt up by H. G. Wells, Dali, and Gaudi: a super stylish elaboration on Victorian times, with its language and social norms, but also with flying machines (no steampunk though) and mindbending buildings.

The happy end is a little disappointing: there is an obvious twist that the moviemakers decided not to go for. But even more disappointing is the said makers’ conviction that modern viewers need to be hit in the face with the sledgehammer. There are no subtleties or nuances, no facial expressions of Hitchcock or Forman that tell you everything you need to know. The viewers are hosed with gore, guts (enough to please Cannibal Corpse), open crania (enough to please Carcass), lots of unerotic sex, and ample use of the fisheye lens. FWIW if you can get through the first 45 minutes, it gets less revolting but continues to be disturbing. I don't understand how anybody can think this film is funny: I only cracked a smile a couple of times at the sight of ridiculous outcomes of God's animal experimenting. I also fail to see how this film is feminist: unless you consider prostitution “feminist.” I also have to point out Mark Ruffalo's mediocre performance as a bastard who takes Bella on her voyage for self-discovery: he is the weakest link here. At the dotted line, it's actually a pretty good movie but I fully sympathize with your decision not to subject yourself to this horror show. It would be cool to see a TV version, with just the beautiful buildings. 6/10

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Godzilla X Kong The New Empire - 7.5/10

Cheesey giant monster goodness, the actors were not very memorable in any way, but who cares, a lot of shit got wrecked, and a lot of giant monsters fought and killed and ate each other, with former adversaries Kong and Godzilla finally joining forces to repel a greater evil poised to destroy mankind and take over the surface world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad