Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Maggie Rogers - Now that the light is fading

6.2/10

Some interesting things musically - the last minute fifteen seconds of dog years, and Alaska is a good track, but being only 5 songs long, there was too much that was just kind of forgettable . It'll be interesting to see what she will do on a full length.

I'm a huge fan. I think she's got everything to be a star. I'm surprised you didn't like any of the other songs though. On and Off is such a great track.

Anyways, she's coming to Montreal and her show's been moved to a bigger venue. The tickets were only $20.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'm going to try to keep up with this thread more this year...

Various Artists - Killed by Olson Vol. 2 = I Wish I Was Blind So I Don't Have to See Your ****ty Face (20xx?)
The Killed by Olson series is a bunch of mix CDs put together by Wolf Eyes' John Olson from his personal collection of punk and hardcore 7"s. Don't know most of these bands, but this collection is as scuzzy and dirty as you'd expect. Feat. Chaos UK, Vomit Terror, Stalag 13, Sick Things, The **** Ups and other one-off screwballs...

Viper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack (2008)
How did I miss this legendary piece of meme/cloud rap until now? The title alone shot its way into my heart. The songs are good too! OK they start to all sound the same, but this is a beauty of demented post something or other...reminds me a lot of Lil Ugly Mane with the same kind of narcoleptic delivery, never a bad thing.

Phurpa - Trowo Phurnag Ceremony (2010)
Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))) reissued this on his Idelogic Organ label in 2011 which is how it came to my attention. A Russian group that plays a specific style of Buddhist ritual music? If you know Sunn you can see the cross-appeal. The tantric singing is nice, and the ritual chiming bells and percussion and smoke is all good, it didn't do wonders for me but it was enjoyable.

Skullflower - The Wisdom of Venom (2017)
I caught up on a bunch of Matthew Bower releases I slept on from his various projects over the years (Mirag, Voltigeurs and Skullflower). I was right to sleep on some of them in the late 00's because they were fairly unremarkable but I've been really excited by the Skullflower releases pushed out on Bandcamp almost weekly and The Wisdom of Venom is another good one. I wouldn't call them riffs but many of the songs center around some kind of shards-like repetition and the immersion is angular but total. This one is mellower than most and the last track has one of the weirdest, most playful starts to a SF song ever, until it rockets off about 4 minutes in.

Sounds of Salvation - Sounds of Salvation (1974)
Christian psychedelia is a genre well worth exploring. I thought I heard some of the best (Fraction! All Saved Freak Band! Holy Ghost Reception Committee #9!) but this one is an absolute gem. It's a heady mixture of psych rock, folk, sound art and spoken word, and doesn't sound nearly as lame as a '74 release could have. I wish I heard it sooner.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath - 2.0 (Positive)
Paranoid by Black Sabbath - 2.0 (Positive)
Master of Reality by Black Sabbath - 1.5 (Neutral)

Not an album, but I just saw this, and it's easily my favorite early Beatles live footage/performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6r523MsuUk

I'm running into this problem now where I'm running out of obvious classic albums/gems to discover, and whenever I stray off course into the obscure/new, I find it tedious and unrewarding. So kind of just permanently running around in circles now.

brendan

rip bruv/cudi
Feb 12, 2012
California
early black sabbath is my ****. everything else after that is meh

i haven't posted awhile so i have couple to talk about:

1. Suicide, Suicide (1977)
220px-Suicide1977.jpg

You could write essays about this album, even songs in particular... especially Frankie Teardrop which is an epic tale of absolute horror. I don't think any band/artist have come close creating a sound so original yet remarkably simple.

10/10

2. Bon Iver, 22, A Million (2016)
220px-22%2C_A_Million_cover.jpg

I am quite fond of Justin Vernon's work, especially For Emma, Forever Ago. I also really enjoyed the more experimental record in Bon Iver, Bon Iver so obviously when 22, A Million was announced, I was eager. Vernon goes even more experimental to the point of incomprehension. Every song on this album sounds like a cluster-**** of 10-15 second demos which were scattered throughout 34 minutes. The whole thing feels just so incomplete and lazy. I think Vernon's intent with this project was to be "messy", but in my opinion he doesn't pull it off. However, I did enjoy the track "22 (OVER S∞∞N)"

5.5/10

3. Frank Ocean, Blond (2016)
220px-Blonde_-_Frank_Ocean.jpeg

Frank Ocean's long-awaited sophomore effort was long overdue, but it was so worth it. The sound is subtle yet feels completely immersive, sort of like a soundscape.

9/10

4. The xx, I See You (2017)
220px-The_xx_-_I_See_You.png

This is the xx departing from their naked, skeletal sound. I mean you could probably call this a Jamie xx album as it doesn't really feel like a band effort other than the vocals. Yeah, the songs are fun especially "On Hold" but The xx doesn't really get too ambitious here despite departing from their usual sound. Even with the "new" ideas, I much prefer the more stripped back xx.

6.3/10

5. Preoccupations (Viet Cong), Preoccupations (2016)
220px-Preoccupations_%28album%29.jpg

This is their first album under the new name Preoccupations because of all the controversy with the name of Viet Cong. Even before that, these guys performed under the name Women and their two records,Women and Public Strain, are great (especially Public Strain which I highly suggest if you're a fan of the Velvet Underground). While I don't think Preoccupations has amounted to the greatness that Public Strain is, they still produced a quality record. The track "Anxiety" is my personal favorite and a perfect gateway to the album.

8.4/10

6. Drake, Views (2016)
220px-Drakeviewsfromthe6.jpg

Probably one of my least favorite albums of the year. This is bad, real bad. Drake's vocals are way, waaaaay too loud and his constant monotone flow does not help at all. The production of this thing is just so bland with a lack of a consistent idea. Drake can't write.

2/10

Last edited:

brendan

rip bruv/cudi
Feb 12, 2012
California
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath - 2.0 (Positive)
Paranoid by Black Sabbath - 2.0 (Positive)
Master of Reality by Black Sabbath - 1.5 (Neutral)

Not an album, but I just saw this, and it's easily my favorite early Beatles live footage/performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6r523MsuUk

I'm running into this problem now where I'm running out of obvious classic albums/gems to discover, and whenever I stray off course into the obscure/new, I find it tedious and unrewarding. So kind of just permanently running around in circles now.

220px-Suicide1977.jpg

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not too crazy about them, like with most Metal acts. I think they're alright, though.

That Suicide album, however, I love. I've always wondered what that star in that Suicide cover was for.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Polvo - Cor-Crane Secret: 8/10. Making their way into my best bands of the 90's, with their weird guitar tunings and abrasive yet melodic songs.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Miles Davis - At Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 (2015)
The ’55 set is good, the ’58 set really cooks. ’66 and ’67 sets are as tight as you’d expect, although the ’67 set sound quality seems a little muddled. ’69 fine. ’73 – "Ife" is a supremely heavy, sludgy groover, a total monster. Set has just the right amont of skronkiness and funkiness you’d expect, so unhinged at times it sounds like a thrash metal gig, esp. Mtume’s drumming. Just one track from ’75, sound is pretty heinous though. The ’71 set I’m not too keen on – some of Miles’ fusion stuff is dicey and relatively interesting to me and I’m not feeling the sound here except on “Funky Tonk” which is given plenty of room to breathe. Good way to get the full gamut of Miles at one of the most famous jazz festivals on the planet.

John Cage & Sun Ra - John Cage Meets Sun Ra (The Complete Concert, June 8, 1986, Coney Island, NY) (1987 re. 2016)
I never really bothered to investigate this because it was probably pretty gimmicky, but it was reissued last year so I decided to take a look. Neither man was much of a prolific collaborator outside their specific domains, so it's a couple of headlining names of the aging avant-garde thrown onto the same bill to sell some tickets. In fact most of the concert features them performing separately - Ra mostly does keyboard solos (and one piece with June Tyson) and Cage does his "Empty Words" readings. Eventually they collaborate on a few things like...Cage doing "Empty Words" over Ra's keyboards. Meh. Skip it.

Paul White & Danny Brown – Accelerator (2017)
Paul White produced much of Danny Brown's awesome Atrocity Exhibition. So rather than release these as just more Danny Brown tracks, the goal here seems to be to get White's name out there a little more. It's 2 tracks and their instrumentals, "Accelerator" is great and it wasn't until I heard the instrumental with its French chanteuse chorus that I really appreciated "Lion's Den" with Brown rapping over it. Good stuff, let's hear more soon.

Various Artists ‎– Agrim Agadez: Musique Guitare de la Republique du Niger (2017)
The only artist I know here is Mdou Moctar and I think it might be a track from the great Saharan Cellphones compilation from a while ago. This is from the same label, Sahel Sounds, and they usually deliver. There's a version of Hey Joe on here by Azna de l’Ader that is absolute scuzzed to the max. The drumming in the title track by Etran de l’Air sounds like it could be a post-rock song. Good mix of different styles.

Jeich Ould Badu & Ahmedou Ahmed Lewla – Top WZN (2009 re. 2017)
More from Sahel Sounds: instrumental, interesting mix of synth lines which is apparently a keyboard (often repetitive) and lute. “Chima” has some snakey beats even. I am told "WZN" means instrumental music and apparently these are two of the giants of the genre in the Western Sahara. Interesting mix of styles for just two guys. Originally released as a tape, somewhere, in 2009.

Demdike Stare – Circulation (2017)
A companion tape, a sketchbook of sorts, of the ideas the turned into the “Wonderland” album released last year. It’s a mix of ambient, field recordings, snatches of classic and jazz, and whatever else the group thought was fit to take down in note for posterity. It sounds like what it is, you could have worse guys curating a mix of obscure sounds for you.

Amadou Binta Konté & Tidiane Thiam - Waande Kadde (2017)
A third from Sahel Sounds, kinda, it's a new joint Sahel Sounds/Mississippi imprint called Sounds from Home. Dual guitar instrumentals from Senegal, recorded in a fishing village with local children playing and clapping in the background. Really easy-going stuff. Nice.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm a huge fan. I think she's got everything to be a star. I'm surprised you didn't like any of the other songs though. On and Off is such a great track.

Anyways, she's coming to Montreal and her show's been moved to a bigger venue. The tickets were only $20.

I think when she has a full length she'll be able to do more. I'm a fan , too. I liked dog years, Alaska , and on & off, but I didn't love them.

Where is she playing in Montreal?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Various Artists – Kwangkay: Funerary Music of the Dayak Benuaq of Borneo (2016)
The Dayak Benuaq from the Eastern Kalimantan region of Indonesian Borneo perform a funerary ritual called a “kwangkayâ€. Part of that ritual is a chant and musical piece called a “ngerangkau†featuring hypnotic chanting, percussion, gongs and chimes. There’s two versions of the ngerangkau recorded here, plus two other short snippets of field recordings from the region. Those two versions are similar in structure, with about 5 minutes of chanting following by 15 minutes of percussion. The first one is more stilted and feels more aggressive, the second one is more subdued. Both are really cool.

Various Artists - Ishq Ke Maare: Sufi Songs From Sindh And Punjab, Pakistan (2017)
I can’t speak intelligently about sufi music but all I know is it’s devotional and intense. This set of recordings from Pakistan comes from a variety of sources, from concert halls to living rooms, and it’s quite diverse and interesting. “Shah Jo Raag†is an absolute monster.

Various Artists – Where the Mountains Meet the Sky: Folk Music of Ladakh (2017)
The last of the three new Sublime Frequencies albums I took a listen to (see last two reviews) this one held the least interest for me, it is what it says, folk music from this tiny region of India. Didn't do much for me.

Voltigeurs – Thunder and Musk (2016)
Still catching up on Matthew Bower's 2016 output. First track is a blistering, churning live set from 2009…maybe not a set, it’s only 10 mins long. Other track is a little more airy but a little less interesting, and just 6 minutes.

Oren Ambarchi vs. Ricardo Villalobos – Hubris Variation (2016)
Similarly, catching up with all the Villalobos I missed out on last year with the next few...
I like both these artists, although I haven’t heard Ambarchi’s Hubris album where this is remixed from…apparently Villalobos did some work on that album too…anyway I wasn’t too impressed by this track, it’s extremely minimal (even by RV’s own standards) but, like most RV tracks, coalesces considerably toward the end if you have the patience. Not bad, not unmissable either.

Ricardo Villalobos – Who Are We? (2015)
A 12†featuring 2 tracks. “Buffalo Demon†featuring Alog was just OK. “Who Are You?†is notable because it features Jorge Gonzales of Los Updates, whose voice worked well with Villalobos’ remix of “4 Wheel Drive†and it works similarly well here.

Ricardo Villalobos & Einzelkind – Arnorac (2017)
There’s a big shapeless glob of chrome I don’t know what on the (horrible) cover of Arnorac. It looks like what the A side sounds like, a real gloopy offering. B is choppier and funkier by a good degree with samples of unintelligible conversation running throughout. Side C highlights a syrupy vocal sample on a thumping beat. D is the most shapeless and the least interesting of the bunch. Overall really good.

Ricardo Villalobos & Argenis Brito – Amnesia (2016)
A pretty clattery track, I don’t know if that’s a vocal sample or Argenis Brito or what (don’t know anything about him). Nice and airy. Good track.

Ricardo Villalobos – Detroit Heroes (2016)
“Alterverwalter†cool guitar loop that turns into something much more substantial and impressive and a crunchy, snakey, metallic beat. “Detroit Herpes†is a little more classic Villalobos, barely audible electronic blips under a rolling percussion rhythm. I liked the first track better but both are top drawer.

Peter Brotzmann & Heather Leigh Murray – Ears Are Filled with Wonder (2016)
Seems like a mismatch on paper and I was wondering if Brotzmann’s lung power would blow Murray’s pedal steel off the stage. But these two have been collaborating live dates for a while and they’re very much in synch. Brotzmann switches between tenor sax, bass clarinet, tarogato and clarinet on the single half-hour track, and blows sympathetically to Murray’s darkly spun riffing that conjures up a surprising amount of tension and dread. In fact there’s a threat of violence throughout the whole set that never sees release and the track is all the better for it. Highly recommended.

Six Organs of Admittance – Burning the Threshold (2017)
I keep up with Ben Chasney only intermittently, he seems to alternate really interesting releases with pretty humdrum ones. This one feels more like the latter. It’s a nice collection of his signature acoustic guitar and multitracked, ethereal vocals but even a host of interesting collaborators, both familiar and new (Chris Corsano, Alex Neilson, Damon & Naomi) didn’t stir up much interest for me.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Various Artists – Kwangkay: Funerary Music of the Dayak Benuaq of Borneo (2016)
The Dayak Benuaq from the Eastern Kalimantan region of Indonesian Borneo perform a funerary ritual called a “kwangkayâ€. Part of that ritual is a chant and musical piece called a “ngerangkau†featuring hypnotic chanting, percussion, gongs and chimes. There’s two versions of the ngerangkau recorded here, plus two other short snippets of field recordings from the region. Those two versions are similar in structure, with about 5 minutes of chanting following by 15 minutes of percussion. The first one is more stilted and feels more aggressive, the second one is more subdued. Both are really cool.

Is this related to gamelan-style music? That stuff is wild - so beautifully ethereal and other-worldy.

Sounds interesting either way.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Is this related to gamelan-style music? That stuff is wild - so beautifully ethereal and other-worldy.

Sounds interesting either way.

No, the percussion on this sounds more like they're using whatever instruments may be at hand, so I wouldn't say it shares much in common with gamelan music...at least sonically speaking. Although I do share your sentiments about it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels (1983) - 3.5/5

Not as melodic or sweet as Heaven or Las Vegas but still has some impressive vocals and instrumentation. The songs aren't generally catchy but you can tap your feet to them because of how good the rhythms are. It also has some thumping bass that wouldn't be on their later stuff especially on the track My Love Paramour. I'd consider it an early bit of shoegaze because Elizabeth Fraser's vocals harmonies act like an extra layer of guitar distortion. It's a very ugly abrasive sounding album at times with that big gothic sound but it's not a difficult listen.

Highlight songs worthy of your mp3 player: the fast paced 'In Our Angelhood', 'My Love Paramour', and possibly the over-the-top vocals of 'Sugar Hiccup'

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
282872.jpg

Tales of Medusa - The Fatal Wounding Gaze

10/10

I haven't heard a better heavy metal album released in the last 30 years. It's unreasonably good. The only thing more unreasonable are the prices this band's albums go for :cry:.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
The only thing more unreasonable are the prices this band's albums go for :cry:.

Back when they were an active band they used to send all their music out for free to anybody that expressed some genuine interest!

People used to get so mad about how this band chose to operate.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Back when they were an active band they used to send all their music out for free to anybody that expressed some genuine interest!

People used to get so mad about how this band chose to operate.

I saw some old forum posts about people complaining about the business model and I still can't figure out why they had such a problem with it. Apparently it was "a gimmick to promote themselves" or something :laugh:.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I saw some old forum posts about people complaining about the business model and I still can't figure out why they had such a problem with it. Apparently it was "a gimmick to promote themselves" or something :laugh:.

There was a lot of skepticism about their motivations I guess. You know how interlopers are treated in the metal world.

I can sort of see how it could have been perceived as a gimmick. A band like Ghost took some of the same aspects ("anonymity", retro music), used it to dress up their pop-rock music and leveraged the hype into a massive recording contract. In retrospect that obviously wasn't the intention of Tales Of Medusa, but at the time...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Cord, & Melody (2008ish) - 3.5/5

They try to do what Keane does but with weaker choruses and the addition of jazz rock. The sound is cool so props for that but there's only two or three worthwhile tracks.

Geneva - Further (1997) - 4/5

Pretty strong first half, has that sweet sound of Puressence mixed with the vocals of JJ72. Into The Blue is a tune

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Father John misty - pure comedy

7.3/10

Kevin morby - still life

7.9/10

Spoon - hot thoughts

7.1/10

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Outside the Dream Syndicate by Tony Conrad & Faust - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
Hitting a lull in album-listening (Can't seem to find anything I want to try anymore). Re-listened to this and it blew me away even more than before. Especially "From the Side Of The Machine".

Favorite Albums
1. White Light White Heat (Mono) by The Velvet Underground
2. Possible Musics by Jon Hassel & Brian Eno
3. Lick My Decals Off Baby by Captain Beefheart
4. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
5. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
6. Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy by Brian Eno
7. Selected Ambient Works Vol. II by Aphex Twin
8. Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis Quintet
9. Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
10. The Ascension by Glenn Branca

11. Future Days by Can
12. Outside the Dream Syndicate by Tony Conrad & Faust
13. Point of Departure by Andrew Hill
14. Music For 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
15. Ambient 4: On Land by Brian Eno
16. Atlantis by Sun Ra
17. Live at the It Club by Thelonious Monk
18. Animals by Pink Floyd
19. Three Ragas by Ravi Shankar
20. Faust by Faust

21. Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt
22. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
23. Bringing It All Back Home (Mono) by Bob Dylan
24. In a Silent Way by Miles Davis
25. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
26. Tago Mago by Can
27. *****es Brew by Miles Davis
28. Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy
29. The Velvet Underground and Nico (Mono) by Velvet Underground
30. Revolver (Mono) by The Beatles

31. Spiritual Unity by Albert Ayler
32. Station to Station by David Bowie
33. Closer by Joy Division
34. After Bathing at Baxter's by Jefferson Airplane
35. Complete Live at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane
36. Third by Soft Machine
37. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
38. Complete Live at the Village Vanguard by Bill Evans
39. Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
40. Ambient 3: Days of Radiance by Laraaji

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Aine O'Dwyer - Gegenschein (2016)
Aine O'Dwyer - Locusts (2016)

Neither of these moved me as much as "Music for Church Cleaners" did. The production on "Gegenschein" feels a little thin but it could be the rip. "21.12.12" is a cool track, with that that church organ dissolving into huge washes of sound and a dull resonance like a Sunn O))) track…and I don’t know where the creepy chanting children came from, live or otherwise, but it worked for me.
"Locusts" as a whole has a kind of Wolf Eyes vibe, very sinister and noise-y but overall fairly unremarkable.

Erasmo Carlos – Erasmo Carlos e os Tremendoes (1970 r. 2017)
Erasmo Carlos – Carlos, Erasmo… (1971 r. 2017)
Erasmo Carlos – Sonhos y Memorias 1941-1972 (1972 r. 2017)

Three cool reissues on Light of the Attic from an artist I never investigated who came up in post-Tropicalia Brazil. These 3 all feature the kind of wildly inventive, experimental pop music that was the rage for a brief time, although my loyalties still lie with Caetano Veloso and Tom Ze. The music here is interesting and diverse enough to be worth a listen though.

Thundercat - Drunk (2017)
What really attracted me to this album was the cover art, not that I'd ever heard Thundercat before. And he's associated with other artists I like, so why not. The album is all over the place, from funk to soul and RnB and jazz and Zappa and hip hop and all kinds of things in between. The vocals are good, but the lyrics have that goofily annoying irreverence to them, kinda like, I dunno, Donald Glover or something. It's a pass for me.

The Ghost - The Hole (2016)
I don't know where I heard about this album, some kind of anti-homophobia free jazz manifesto from a group called The Ghost. It wasn't as raucous as I hoped for but it's still got some cools tracks, notably the groaning creep of "Under the Teeth of Dogs or Upon the Wheel" but there is a catharsis that feels out of reach. Maybe that's the point. I liked it enough to possibly look for more from this group and their cohorts...

Dedekind Cut - The Expanding Domain (2017)
I didn't care at all for $uccessor, Lee Bannon's ballyhooed 2016 release, but I gave this EP a chance and liked it a bit more, or at least it convinced me that there may be something more interesting to come from this project yet. This one features favorites like Prurient and Zach Hill which may have swayed me in its favor...

Atlantikwall - Atlantikwall (2016)
This is a really great tape. Apparently Atlantikwall is one guy (person?), and I don't know if he (she?) has anything else out there but I love these things that come from nowhere and catch you by surprise. I don't even know how much of this is original music or sampled and stitched together or what. Atlantikwall tapes a lot very disparate sound sources and layers them together, rhythms just a touch askance, like a way more out-there Panda Bear/Animal Collective bent, where they're re-stitching the Beach Boys and this guy is re-stitching, I don't know, AMM. The review from The Quietus what turned me on to this namechecks King Sunny Ade, Mark E. Smith, Jad Fair, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, **** & Shine, La Monte Young....so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad