Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Never heard of that one. ^^^^^^^

Weather Report - I Sing the Body Electric. (1972) 7/10

More experimental (free flowing) than their Jaco era stuff...still reminiscent of the Miles Davis , In a Silent Way, B*****es Brew era when these guys played together (Joseph Zawinul and Shorter).. Also some Soft Machine loopy bits in there too. Has a few live songs recorded in Japan that are really powerful...good listen for any fan.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
10/10:
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (previously 9/10) [fav. track - "Devil in a New Dress"]

9/10:
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (fav. track - "Fourth of July")
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Part II (previously 8/10) [fav. track - "Cold Outside"]

8/10:
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music (fav. track - "Reagan")
Vince Staples - Summertime '06 (previously 7/10) [fav. track - "Lift Me Up"]

7/10:
Brand New - Deja Etendu (fav. track - "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades")

5/10:
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (previously 7/10) [fav. track - "Bad Guy"]
Gucci Mane - East Atlanta Santa (fav. track - "Maybe It's the Juice")

4/10
Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel (previously 7/10) [fav. track - "Loud Noises"]

3/10:
Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse (fav. track - "Onslaught 2")

1/10:
Kid CuDi - Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven (fav. track - N/A)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
61Z%2BnJHWXoL._SX355_.jpg

Before and After Science--Brian Eno---first 2/3s of album: 4/10; last 1/3 of album: 8/10

You can hear Eno practically give up the ghost of ever being a rock star on this album. The first eight lightweight cuts range from pleasant to mediocre to totally uninspired. But the final four cuts point the way to a new, more specifically ambient related direction. I also have a life-long soft spot for By the River, a delicate and wistful minimalist ballad that is as close to perfection as it is possible for this kind of music to get.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
4/5
The North Borders (2013) by Bonobo. This album grew on me with each listen.

Taking Up Your Precious Time (2006) by Pretty Lights. Downtempo bliss.

3.5/5
The King of Limbs (2011) by Radiohead

3/5
Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) by Pink Floyd. Finally giving this album a rating after many listens over the years. Pow R. Toc H. never stood out until now. Brilliant song. especially the last minute.

Tribal Derivations (2007) by Beats Antique. Mellow, ethnic/tribal style instrumental music. Some boring moments

Dusk to Dawn (2013) by Emancipator

Saudade (2014) by Thievery Corporation. Bossanova style featuring female singers

2.5/5

Innocents (2013) by Moby. Better than his other garbage albums after "Play". 2.5 is probably generous, but it has its moments

You're Dead (2014) by Flying Lotus.

Tomorrow's Harvest (2013) by Boards of Canada. This album resonates with me, but doesn't excite me enough for a higher score

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Obviously all albums grow better with age but this would be a 8/10 for me upon my first complete listen

Best Track: Hell of a Life

Worst Track: None are skip-worthy, solid album.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
3.5/5
Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M (1964) by Simon & Garfunkel

3/5
The Scene Between (2015) by The Go! Team

2/5
...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin (2014) by The Roots. I like how dark this album is, but it just doesn't deliver and isn't very cohesive.

Last edited:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Funkadelic (1970) by Funkadelic. Groovy, psychedelic and soulful yet sarcastic and funny at the same time. I'm happy to have discovered this band. 3.5/5

Last edited:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Have you heard their other albums yet? I love Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow. Apparently recorded while completely high.
Just the first 2 of Funkadelic/Parliament. So just "Funkadelic" and "Osmium". I'm going chronologically with them and 52 other bands. It will take some time, but I'm really looking forward to hearing more by them. They seem like quite an interesting bunch of musicians.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Fats Domino Rock and Rollin' (1956) by Fats Domino. Pretty generic sounding and forgettable. Swanee Rive Hop is the only standout track. 1.5/5

Lonely and Blue (1960) by Roy Orbison. Mawkish. Roy has a nice voice though. 1.5/5

Bob Dylan (1962) by Bob Dylan. It's hard to rate this album because I can't not compare Bob versions some of these songs to the version of the old Country Blues artists that I love so much. He does a good job with them, but I still prefer the older versions. 3/5 ..a weak 3 though. That said I really like his original tune "Song to Woody" and his version of "Man of Constant Sorrow"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Incunabula by Autechre - 3.5 (Great)
Chiastic Slide by Autechre - 3.0 (Very Good)
Amber by Autechre - 3.0 (Very Good)
Tri Repetae by Autechre - 2.5 (Good)

One of the more consistent and solid bands of the 90s, IMO.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Jefferson Airplane Takes Off (1966). Folk/Psychedelic Rock. 3/5

The Allman Brothers Band (1969). Blues/Southern Rock. Impressive musicianship. 3.5/5

Lady of the Night (1974) by Donna Summer. Disco. Don't bother with this one. 1/5

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using - 6/10. Smooth, super-slick piano pop from the 70's. I can't believe I like this but his lyrics are great and he's got a fantastic voice.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
9/10:
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele (fav. track - "Wu Banga 101")

7/10:
Pusha T - My Name is My Name (fav. track - "Nosetalgia")
Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt (fav. track - "10 Times")
50 Cent - The Kanan Tape (fav. track - "Burner on Me"/"I'm the Man")

4/10:
Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang (fav. track - "Every Soldier in the Hood")
Royce da 5'9" - The Bar Exam 3 (fav. track - "Go Hard")

3/10:
Gucci Mane - East Atlanta Santa 2 (fav. track - "What it Takes")

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Jason Isbell - Southeastern 10/10

Big fan of Isbell whether it's with the Drive-by Truckers, the 400 Unit, solo or even on his wife's songs. I haven't picked up his album from last year yet( have you? ), I'm sure I'll like it based on the few songs I've heard.

I went on a little buying spree lately:

ISRAEL NASH - Rain Plans(2013) 8.5/10 - Great throwback to the 70's trippy country/rock sound. Excellent headphones album. Favorite track(today) Myer Canyon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g33DMj0x1IQ

VAN MORRISON - Veddon Fleece(1974) 8/10 - I've been looking to buy this CD for years but not for the $40-50 it sells for, finally got the mp3 instead. Van The Man at his mellow best.
Fair Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vYs5LBC3c

THEM - The Complete Them 1964-1967(2015) 8/10 - As with Veddon Fleece I was waiting for the price of The Story of Them to come down. It did, but only because Van Morrison released this 3 CD 69 song compilation. Familiar greats like Here Comes the Night, Gloria, Baby Please Don't Go and a full CD of demo's, alternate takes and live versions.
Call My Name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQTzkr95pHE

ELMORE JAMES - King of the Slide Guitar(1996) 7.5/10 - Again 3 CD's 64 songs. Incredible voice and of course guitar work. Listening to the whole collection in one sitting was a mistake as the songs start to all sound the same. Easy fix to just select 8-12 different songs each time.
I Gotta Go Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWDdVhimRM

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground(1969) 6/10 - Only a couple listens so far, but doesn't compare to Nico or Loaded for me. Might improve after some more time with this one.
Beginning to See the Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3gWi9bBkHQ

up next:

LEAD BELLY - The Definitive Lead Belly(2009)
WUSSY - Left for Dead(2007)
JANIS JOPLIN - Pearl(1971)
THE VOLEBEATS - Solitude(1999)
FUTUREBIRDS - Hotel Parties(2015)

Last edited:

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Big fan of Isbell whether it's with the Drive-by Truckers, the 400 Unit, solo or even on his wife's songs. I haven't picked up his album from last year yet( have you? ), I'm sure I'll like it based on the few songs I've heard.

I went on a little buying spree lately:

ISRAEL NASH - Rain Plans(2013) 8.5/10 - Great throwback to the 70's trippy country/rock sound. Excellent headphones album. Favorite track(today) Myer Canyon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g33DMj0x1IQ

VAN MORRISON - Veddon Fleece(1974) 8/10 - I've been looking to buy this CD for years but not for the $40-50 it sells for, finally got the mp3 instead. Van The Man at his mellow best.
Fair Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vYs5LBC3c

THEM - The Complete Them 1964-1967(2015) 8/10 - As with Veddon Fleece I was waiting for the price of The Story of Them to come down. It did, but only because Van Morrison released this 3 CD 69 song compilation. Familiar greats like Here Comes the Night, Gloria, Baby Please Don't Go and a full CD of demo's, alternate takes and live versions.
Call My Name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQTzkr95pHE

ELMORE JAMES - King of the Slide Guitar(1996) 7.5/10 - Again 3 CD's 64 songs. Incredible voice and of course guitar work. Listening to the whole collection in one sitting was a mistake as the songs start to all sound the same. Easy fix to just select 8-12 different songs each time.
I Gotta Go Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWDdVhimRM

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground(1969) 6/10 - Only a couple listens so far, but doesn't compare to Nico or Loaded for me. Might improve after some more time with this one.
Beginning to See the Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3gWi9bBkHQ

up next:

LEAD BELLY - The Definitive Lead Belly(2009)
WUSSY - Left for Dead(2007)
JANIS JOPLIN - Pearl(1971)
THE VOLEBEATS - Solitude(1999)
FUTUREBIRDS - Hotel Parties(2015)

Awesome man. He's definitely one of the greatest living songwriters in the genre. Doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

Definitely have heard his effort from last year. "Something More Than Free" made my top 5 for the year. You certainly need to check that one out.

For now I still prefer Southeastern. It's one of the most consistently great albums I have ever heard.

I dig your taste.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Awesome man. He's definitely one of the greatest living songwriters in the genre. Doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

Definitely have heard his effort from last year. "Something More Than Free" made my top 5 for the year. You certainly need to check that one out.

For now I still prefer Southeastern. It's one of the most consistently great albums I have ever heard.

I dig your taste.

Thanks for the reply and the compliment. I'll pick up Something More Than Free eventually, just need to get through the back log I just created for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad