Las Vegas Expansion in 2017-18 Thread

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm a huge fan of black jerseys. I know colours don't affect how a team plays but it's just something so mean and dominant looking about black jerseys. When the LA Kings step on the ice they look like they're going to win.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really hate that only 3 D can be protected. Beauchemin will almost certainly be bought out next year you'd have to assume.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Are we sure of that, because everything lately seems to point to only the one option and no one has come out to correct that yet

I saw a tweet yesterday (I think it was yesterday) that mentioned Bill Daly saying "a lot of the information out there is not correct" on the Expansion Draft rules...

So, while we don't know if there is an option to protect 8 Skaters + 1 G; it does seem that the information as a whole is off...and we'll just have to wait until they officially announce LV to find out the truth (I'm hoping that's when they release the details).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What's going to be the rule? Do you mean we wont be able to buy him out or we wont only be able to protect 3?

I think TV's referring to ONLY having the option to protect 7F, 3D, and 1G (the other option, as it was originally disclosed back in what, March-ish timeframe? of 8 Skaters + 1 G hasn't been mentioned again).

Valar Morghulis

Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa
I think TV's referring to ONLY having the option to protect 7F, 3D, and 1G (the other option, as it was originally disclosed back in what, March-ish timeframe? of 8 Skaters + 1 G hasn't been mentioned again).

The globe and mail article by Mirtle mentions the 8 skater option and is linked by General Fanager. I guess we will find out soon enough.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah it's going to suck if they pull off giving this team a legit top four, only to lose one of them a year later.

I guess it's not the end of the world if that loss is FB being bought out and Bigras stepping up at that point, but still no guarantee we can buy him out.

We just can't seem to get ahead with our defense. If Barrie is traded then we have to find some kind of replacement as well.

2016-17 - EJ, Zadorov, Barrie/Trade/UFA, FB

2017-18 - EJ, Zadorov, Barrie/Trade/UFA, Bigras

I still kind of hope we end up w/ for 2016

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - FB
Bigras - Not Nick Holden or Gelinas

The only two things ill likely be happy with is Barrie or Trouba, and keeping all of our core forwards.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I guess it's not the end of the world if that loss is FB being bought out and Bigras stepping up at that point, but still no guarantee we can buy him out.

Nothing in any rules that would stop them from buying out FB. The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST. To buy a player out, they must be put on unconditional waivers, where any team can put in a claim. For a player with a NMC, they can opt to decline waivers and take the buyout immediately. They cannot block the buyout.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
FB may just agree to waive and the Avs can trade someone/thing else to protect him that way. Or, he may like the ideal of Vegas since it is closer to Cali.

There is so much fluidity with the Avs going into this offseason that it would be almost impossible to guess what this roster looks like 360+ days from now. If this team struggles again, there may be a few players either gone or not on the Avs protection list we would think of as locks right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
FB may just agree to waive and the Avs can trade someone/thing else to protect him that way. Or, he may like the ideal of Vegas since it is closer to Cali.

There is so much fluidity with the Avs going into this offseason that it would be almost impossible to guess what this roster looks like 360+ days from now. If this team struggles again, there may be a few players either gone or not on the Avs protection list we would think of as locks right now.

That is true, but you'd still need to protect your value, even if the plan was to blow up the core who is in the 25+ year old range.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With the Avs team being what it is now, I'm not the least bit worried about the difference between a 7-3-1 or a 8-1 setup. If Beauch has to be protected and Barrie is still here, the 8-1 will be plenty fine. Worst case, Soda or Grigo is exposed... I like both, but losing either wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Where the Avs have issues is in goal, and there isn't really a good way to prevent that in general. Trade Varly now, but that takes a huge risk with starting Picks. Trade Picks now, but there probably isn't a tremendous amount of value there and with Varly's groin, risk there too. Trading either next summer results in diminished value since all teams are facing the protecting 1 goalie and the market will be small.

Gilmore leaving Montreal might be some tea leaves for everybody...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Gilmore would be one of the very first people I'd contact to run an organization... ;)

I was trying to keep my eyes/ears open for Don Maloney whispers. He could take a much of the year off just watching Hockey and then a quick drive from one desert location to another

Last edited:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I wish they would let a fan run the Vegas expansion. I would probably not be a good choice but i would for sure make it interesting.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Is this the thread for Expansion Draft protection talk? Here's what I'd do, though I'm sure there will be significant roster changes between now and then:

Protect (8+1): Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Beauchemin, Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, Varlamov

Significant players exempt: Rantanen, Bigras

Significant players exposed: Pickard, Soderberg, Comeau, McLeod

UNLESS we can convince Beachemin to waive, in which case:

Protect(7+3+1): Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Soderberg, Comeau, McLeod, Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, Varlamov

Significant players exempt: same

Significant players exposed: Pickard, Beauchemin

The choice between Varly and Picks is a coin flip for me, and I decide differently every time. Most likely, we will be losing whichever G we expose.

The choice between Grigo and Soda in the 8+1 scenario is also tough, but Grigo is younger and cheaper, so that's why I went with him.

I'm sure there will be UFAs added that will complicate the forward ranks such as Matthias, Boedker, or Radulov, but that'll be hard to predict until free agency.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
How does the expansion draft determine who's protected. If Bigras plays every game this year will he still be protected?

People are going to lose their minds but I'm pretty sure Holden will be playing this year as someone they want to expose. Hopefully it's only in a #6 capacity

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How does the expansion draft determine who's protected. If Bigras plays every game this year will he still be protected?

People are going to lose their minds but I'm pretty sure Holden will be playing this year as someone they want to expose. Hopefully it's only in a #6 capacity
To my understanding, no matter how many games Bigras gets this year, it will only be his second professional year; therefore he is exempt.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sucks if they have to protect Beuchemin because then that means that they aren't gonna be signing any significant UFA dman.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sucks if they have to protect Beuchemin because then that means that they aren't gonna be signing any significant UFA dman.

He can waive or they can buy him out. Honestly at his age, he likely wouldn't be difficult to protect outside of the protection list.

It wouldn't be a difficult sell IMO. Hey we have to have you waive, or we need to buy you out. We just cannot risk losing a younger player, however we're going to do our best to ensure you do not get selected.

Which would you prefer? Buyout, or would you like to waive your NMC?

As long as it's done respectfully, I don't think Colorado is doing anything wrong there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad