Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
las-vegas-rumored-to-be-in-the-running-for-an-nhl-expansion-team.jpg

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Not surprising. I think they will be a welcome addition to the league and do not doubt their viability as much as others do. I am sure the NHL really did their homework on this one.

It will be interesting to see the exact expansion draft rules when they are officially made public.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With news that the Executive Committee voted to add Vegas as an expansion team in 2017-18, the expected news to make official on the 22nd seems just a formality at this point. With the expansion draft rules surely coming there will be a lot to discuss and keep track of in regards to adding this new team, so may as well keep it in one place.

I'm happy to see Vegas get a team. Its exciting for those of us in the west and I think it will be a good market. Expanding and having 31 teams is a bit awkward but the conferences were already imbalanced. The cap has already diluted and leveled the playing field, it is nice that roughly 50 more folks will have jobs too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I like the decision. I try to go to Vegas once a year so now I can plan it when the Avs are in town and the game will actually mean something unlike the Frozen Fury.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think it's a pretty smart decision.

Has the potential to make decent revenue, although I wonder how many players would really enjoy playing there when there will be a decent away crowd each game. If it fails, you have Quebec as a backup plan.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I forgot that Foley (the owner) said that there would be a vote on the name of the team (perhaps with those that vouched season tickets and some other members casting the vote) and that he felt strongly about the "Black Knights" name. There will likely be a list of proposed names to choose from.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I bet this means the players vote for the cap escalator for sure now. That half-billion influx next year will do wonders for the cap. The following year, so they will want to spread the wealth rather than have just one years UFAs reap all the benefits.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think it's a pretty smart decision.

Has the potential to make decent revenue, although I wonder how many players would really enjoy playing there when there will be a decent away crowd each game. If it fails, you have Quebec as a backup plan.

There used to be a bunch of guys on our team that would have loved to play in Vegas Giguere was not one of them. I dont see why players wouldnt want to be there and like TV said this creates a bunch of new jobs for people. Make the NHL great again!!!

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Still not a fan of the decision. Settle or Quebec City are safe markets.

Seattle doesn't have an arena and Quebec would throw off conference alignment even further.

Seattle as a future expansion and Quebec as a relocation city in a couple years would be ideal if things go perfectly.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I bet this means the players vote for the cap escalator for sure now. That half-billion influx next year will do wonders for the cap. The following year, so they will want to spread the wealth rather than have just one years UFAs reap all the benefits.

Word is the expansion fee won't count as Hockey Related Revenue

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
There used to be a bunch of guys on our team that would have loved to play in Vegas Giguere was not one of them. I dont see why players wouldnt want to be there and like TV said this creates a bunch of new jobs for people. Make the NHL great again!!!

LOL! Classic

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i bet this means the players vote for the cap escalator for sure now. That half-billion influx next year will do wonders for the cap. The following year, so they will want to spread the wealth rather than have just one years ufas reap all the benefits.

cba, 50.1

(b) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in section 50.1(a) above, HRR shall not include the following non-exhaustive list of revenues:

(ii) revenues from the relocation or sale of any existing club (or any interest therein) or the grant of any new franchise;

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Based on roster now

Does someone have a list of the current Avs roster of who "Can be" protected and who is "exempt" from being picked?

Im a lil confused bout our younger guys on who we would need to protect

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
When the rumors first came around that the NHL would potentially expand to Las Vegas I laughed.

Guess I'm the idiot. Really wish this team was going to Seattle or Quebec.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
When the rumors first came around that the NHL would potentially expand to Las Vegas I laughed.

Guess I'm the idiot. Really wish this team was going to Seattle or Quebec.

I'm not sure I like it either, it just seems like a big marketing play to me. Doesn't mean it won't work, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad