Larry Brooks criticizes McKenzie/TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BobMckenzie said:
Gee, when I saw the title on the thread I was prepared for the worst, but then I see where Larry says I'm an "outstanding reporter who works hard, has a well-earned outstanding reputation and loves the game." He must be trying to kill me with kindness. I'm not sure anyone has ever said so many glowing things about me.

;)

As for me viewing things through the "owners' prism" because TSN is a rightsholder, that's really kind of silly. For the record, I believe it's not unreasonable for the owners to seek cost certainty or linkage but I think it's crazy to be that unyielding on it that you have to kill the season to get it. Saying that first part out loud tends to cause a really negative reaction from some people who believe if you're not 100 per cent with them then you're 100 per cent against them. Then some of those people like to wage a campaign to discredit you. Doesn't work.

I'm afraid that my greatest failing as a media person, a business where taking sides seems to be a badge of honour, is I almost always see valid points from both sides. On the bright side, when you don't climb into bed with one side, you wake up feeling a whole lot better about yourself in the morning. As for TSN's coverage of the lockout, we don't owe anybody anything, other than to do a good job for as many of our viewers as possible. I'm satisfied we've done that, day after day after #%$&* day...

Larry's Larry. He's into advocacy journalism. If I were going to find fault with him it would be to say he simply doesn't get it, that my viewers, his readers, the public don't really care much when one media guy goes after another media guy. I mean, how many Post readers even know what TSN is, although Larry seems to be doing his best this year to change that. In 1994, Larry was as pro-owner then as he is pro-player now. That's cool. Guess he changed his mind, which he's allowed to do. In the big picture, it doesn't really matter what he thinks or I think, what will be in this lockout will be.

Final word: readers of newspapers and viewers of sports networks aren't stupid. They know when they're being served; they know when they're being played. And they certainly know the difference between the two. I would say that's "outstanding."

:D
Is TSN having any sort of coverage for the under 18's. I know you hockey reporters must be grasping for staws as what to write about in the hockey world and this toruney gives us a preview of the draft (if there is one). If TSN is covering that tourney is it possible that they may show some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad