Speculation: Larkin out 2 weeks for Red Wings with lower-body injury, Do the Red Wings trade for a Center? Backlund?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Why not? IF A NICE OFFER COMES, YOU TRADE HIM.

I would if the offer was good enough but management seems to think they can retool quickly and become competitive in a couple of seasons. I think their plan is stupid and they will have to end up having to rebuild anyway but its clear that is the path they've chosen.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
With Larkin out 2 weeks, do the Red Wings trade for a center? Would the Red Wings be interested in Backlund? Would a package Hanifin+Backlund work for the Red Wings?

I wouldn't mind taking on backlund to get hanifin, but I highly doubt this is what yzerman ends up doing. All the people here talking about wennberg is giving me upsettedness disease

PHI overvalues Laughton to a ridiculous extent.
That's what it seems like.

Laughton would be good for us because he increases the grittyness on the team that we don't have much of. Veleno doesn't chop it up at all so Laughton would be a pure upgrade and philladelphia would get a young rfa that could be re-signed for cheap and play (for the most part) up and down the lineup.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I can't see any moves unless it's a big piece . Wings don't need depth, so it's got to be a substantial improvement to mess with the chemistry and someone young enough to be around for the future .

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I would if the offer was good enough but management seems to think they can retool quickly and become competitive in a couple of seasons. I think their plan is stupid and they will have to end up having to rebuild anyway but its clear that is the path they've chosen.

They will start off as a retool and end up doing a rebuild. This ownership will be forced into a rebuild.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm not that interested in making big moves to cover Larkin's absence but it does kind of make me wish the Zegras rumors were true.

Edit: lol just saw that Zegras is out with injury and will probably return around the same time as Larkin. Not wishing anymore.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We have enough players who can sub in to C in a pinch so there’s no need to get some middling player.

Unless the plan is to go big game fishing all along, there’s no need to add a meh player that won’t move the needle just for a couple games where we don’t play the best of teams

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is who I wanted. Would trade veleno+ 4th or something but some people on here think its going to be multiple firsts so who the hell knows lmao
Veleno + Johansson/berggren sounds better as a flyers fan. Tbh I don’t see much difference between Poehling and Veleno. A bit redundant as player types.

Wings are my 2nd team so I watch them a lot and Laughton’s grit and on and off ice leadership would fit very well. Plus he can play literally anywhere in the lineup and has term. Flyers value him so much because of those things too.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Veleno + Johansson/berggren sounds better as a flyers fan. Tbh I don’t see much difference between Poehling and Veleno. A bit redundant as player types.

Wings are my 2nd team so I watch them a lot and Laughton’s grit and on and off ice leadership would fit very well. Plus he can play literally anywhere in the lineup and has term. Flyers value him so much because of those things too.
If that's the case then it'd have to be berggren but I just don't see us trading berggren for a laughton type. I think Yzerman values berggren so I think we would go in a trade for a buchnevich/hanifin type situation. Obviously there would be adds, but I think he'd be in those trades.

Laughton's the type of player we need. Other wings fans may hate that or not like that idea, but he is the type. Like a Tom Wilson too. We need gritty ass players that mix it up, piss people off, and can lead on the ice. We have a couple good locker room guys already, so we need more on-ice guys now.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Detroit has 6 centers on the roster and Kasper in the AHL. There is no reason to trade for a center because they won’t get anyone that will bump Compher from the top line in Larkin’s absence.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Gourde would be a great fit in Detroit right now, but I’ve heard Seattle has no intention of trading him. So what’s available that’s better than they already have to take Larkin’s minutes and produce? Rasmussen and Veleno are going to produce as much as most Cs you can get at the deadline. So unless they’re moving on a Mittlestadt, I’m not sure Larkin’s injury changes their deadline plans.

If they were in on someone like Wennberg, who doesn’t really fit their preferences, or Henrique, who does fit their style of player more, to add prior to the injury, maybe they push to get that done. Henrique would be the one if it’s a UFA deadline type deal, and not a hockey trade.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's 2 weeks, why would they need to add a center for only 2 weeks? If they add someone it won't be because of this injury.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Kasper is NOT in Grand Rapids lineup tonight. That’s a player they’d move in a Mittlestadt trade. Or in a Hanifin trade IF Calgary included a player like Sharangovich.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He's injured. And Yzerman ain't trading him, or Danielson or Ed.
If there’s anything Steve Yzerman has proven as a manager, it’s that he’ll trade anyone, if it’s in a deal he likes. You obviously don’t trade any of those 3 for an aging player, but a player like Mittlestadt, you’d likely think about.

Personally, I’d think about trading Kasper for him but not Danielson. I’d have to watch more of Mittlestadt’s play away from the puck. That said, very rarely does a 19 year old perform as Kasper is, in the AHL. Kasper is going to be a tenacious, pain for years to come. We’ll see if he can play C in the NHL. That’s the only question with him imo. Can he withstand it? Danielson? Pure C, very soon in the league. Both are way ahead of where Mittlestadt was at the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad