Rumor: Laraque: "Sabres looking to trade Evander Kane"

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I wouldn't take him for a 7th round pick at this point. You don't want that jackass in the locker room.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think VAN would be good for Kane. I think having his family around would help. I would like to see him in a Canucks uniform, and on the ice at RIC with the kids more than just the off season.

Was glad Geoff Courtnall came here too, back in the day.

Are you kidding?

The last thing he needs is to be around is that loser entourage he used to party with.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Pittsburgh has Kunitz, Fleury, Pouliot, Fehr and all of their 2017 draft picks. They also have a need at LW and have good leadership that may help Kane.

I think there is a deal to be made here. Pouliot probably being the most appealing piece to the Sabres. But any money in needs to be money out. Any Sabres fans work out a reasonable deal between those available assets?

Edit: Not to mention, Pittsburgh is doing pretty well with high maintence / reclamation types.

The other poster who said Flower, Kunitz for Kane had a good idea. But at this point just Fleury might be enough cause if Buff really want to trade him it means he's unredeenmable at this point and his value way way down.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His value isn't nearly as high as the people that will make it out to be on here and not nearly as low as the lowest offers made for him.

The guy has proven himself to be a not so good person to have around your team.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
He's an incredible player on the ice. Just wish he could get his off ice issues taken care of.

Yup, Murray should just hire a "bodyguard" for him that sits outside his house and follows him wherever he goes. Anytime he starts to get out of hand just give him a subtle reminder that LA got out of paying out a guys contract because he got in trouble. Kane may not care what people think, I guarantee he cares about getting paid though. Penthouse apartments in Vegas are expensive to maintain.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
EDM, AVs, VAN are all on my speed dial if I'm GMTM.

Find a GM that likes jam and big players and see who they have on their team that they don't like and work it out. I really feel like we could pry RNH with the right additions. We learned yesterday that anything is possible in the NHL.

Hey yea... I've heard EDM needs wingers.....
Realistically who is desperate for scoring.... Philly ... Read or Couterier the other way or one of their many Different prospects and a mid level pic?

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Yup, Murray should just hire a "bodyguard" for him that sits outside his house and follows him wherever he goes. Anytime he starts to get out of hand just give him a subtle reminder that LA got out of paying out a guys contract because he got in trouble. Kane may not care what people think, I guarantee he cares about getting paid though. Penthouse apartments in Vegas are expensive to maintain.

They already have him living in the Marriott next to Harbor Center as it is.... had my doubts about him when we got him but gave him the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate as a Sabre. On the ice he's been great but off of it he's been a full blown jagoff and it's to the point now that no matter how much you try he'll always be an arrogant selfish douuche that lets ya down..... best to cut bait and move on at this point, lesson learned.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
You can take Girardi and Staal for Kane and a draft pick. Then the Rangers can buy him out for less then what they would of had to for Girardi. Make the trade Gorton

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
You do realize that only applies in a court of law,right? Teams or any employer have the right to get rid a player or employee they deem to be counter productive due to behavioral issues that are necessarily a crime. He may or may not of committed a crime but he once again put himself in a bad situation and brought negative attention to himself and his employers brand.

As a PR & Brand Manager, couldn't agree more here.

That said, I am really wishing EK would get his **** together. He has to know better than to put himself in these kinds of situations.

EDIT: Hit Submit early by accident. To elaborate: I like EK and was very excited upon acquiring him. He has some real skill and a captivating personality. He's a guy I'm going to root for, and I hope that things turn out for the better here with him (ideally, as a contributor with the Buffalo Sabres).

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Missing practice is not the same thing as having personal problems with teammates, and certainly NOT the same as being a locker room cancer. I've been about the most negative Sabre fan since day one of this trade, but I can't (honestly) say that he's been a bad teammate in Buffalo yet. I still want him gone, because I think it's almost inevitable that he'll wear out his welcome in the view of the front office.
It's exactly the same. That's pretty much the definition of being a nad teammate. When you don't have the same commitment to the team as everybody else, you're a bad teammate. When you decide to hit the snooze button on a non-optional practice because you're hungover, you're a bad teammate. Every other guy in the room got there, why not Evander? Maybe he thinks he's special, maybe he thinks he's above it. That's the kind of thing that gets you disliked even if it's just a perception and not factually accurate.

If the rumours about Murray wanting to trade him are true, I don't think you need to predict that he'll wear out his welcome, it's already happened.

Kane has pretty much proven that his antics aren't going to end any time soon. It's the next best thing to tragic. He's a physically gifted (if low iq) athlete who trains hard and works his butt off on the ice. But he's also by all accounts an irresponsible party animal who seems to get sleazy with women and sleep through his "shift."

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I wouldn't give up much at all. And not because of his "off-ice" issues, just look at his on ice play... He's turning into a cap dump at this point, 5.25M for 35-45 points a season is really bad even without any other issues, it already looks like their having trouble moving him. I knew Buffalo would regret that trade.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. Murray is open to trading literally anyone except the core 4

2. There have been 0 reports of Evander Kane being anything but a great person and teammate from within the organization. Yes, he tends to get in trouble outside of the arena, but that doesn't mean he's not liked in the room.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I think the vast majority of us have that friend who is a bit of an *******. I try not to let it bother me. This whole notion that a player sleeping through a practice or making a phone out of bills suddenly makes everyone else lose their **** is a tad hard to believe. We're dealing with adults here.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I think the vast majority of us have that friend who is a bit of an *******. I try not to let it bother me. This whole notion that a player sleeping through a practice or making a phone out of bills suddenly makes everyone else lose their **** is a tad hard to believe. We're dealing with adults here.

We aren't exclusively. And even if we were, you seem to have way too high an opinion of the average adult. :)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
We aren't exclusively. And even if we were, you seem to have way too high an opinion of the average adult. :)

Perhaps. I just think the whole idea that player doing something off the ice that doesn't directly involve a teammate suddenly making everyone else play worse in a game situation is silly. Even still, if the center is not passing the puck to the winger because he's a *****...I tend to think the center should perhaps smarten the **** up.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
There is a little bit of denial going on here with Kane. He did have clubhouse incidents in Winnipeg. With an abundance of talent, two talent-desperation teams (apparently) gave up / are giving up on him. My own observation, having seen him early in Atlanta forward: very fast, physical talent, average at best hockey sense, seems to skate in a vacuum on the ice - does not seem to make the team better.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Perhaps. I just think the whole idea that player doing something off the ice that doesn't directly involve a teammate suddenly making everyone else play worse in a game situation is silly. Even still, if the center is not passing the puck to the winger because he's a *****...I tend to think the center should perhaps smarten the **** up.

I dunno if you've ever had a job before or not, but sometimes at work there's that guy who thinks they don't have to play by the same rules as eveybody else. If he's allowed to get away with it, it tends to screw up the morale. I've fired a good number of people for being that guy.

That said, the center (I have no idea what situation or which center you're talking about) probably wants to win, and Kane is going to do exactly one thing with the puck which will lead to one of 3 outcomes: he's going to skate as fast as he can up the left boards, and wing it at the net as hard as he can. This will result least often in a goal; more often in a shot into the logo on the goalie's sweater; or most often (seems like 80% to me) in missing the net entirely, after which the puck rings around the boards and out, creating a turnover at the far end of the opposing blueline. Maybe the center in question is lookingnfor a higher percentage play than banging your head against the wall and waiting for the law of averages to score on your behalf.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's exactly the same. That's pretty much the definition of being a nad teammate. When you don't have the same commitment to the team as everybody else, you're a bad teammate. When you decide to hit the snooze button on a non-optional practice because you're hungover, you're a bad teammate. Every other guy in the room got there, why not Evander? Maybe he thinks he's special, maybe he thinks he's above it. That's the kind of thing that gets you disliked even if it's just a perception and not factually accurate.

If the rumours about Murray wanting to trade him are true, I don't think you need to predict that he'll wear out his welcome, it's already happened.

Kane has pretty much proven that his antics aren't going to end any time soon. It's the next best thing to tragic. He's a physically gifted (if low iq) athlete who trains hard and works his butt off on the ice. But he's also by all accounts an irresponsible party animal who seems to get sleazy with women and sleep through his "shift."

I agree in general with what you say. I myself would not be happy with him as a teammate. But...what I mean is that the "bad teammate" stuff you describe is not the same as having a direct personal conflict with a teammate. By all accounts he hasn't done or said anything directly to a teammate that was out of hand. There is a difference.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I find it interesting that many people tend to not equate being a pro athlete with having a job. It's very much a job and it's up to each player regardless of the sport to be a professional-on and off the ice/field/court. If you don't handle your business you are letting your team down-period. Kane has not learned that at this point and so regardless of what he does on the ice he's going to be a disappointment and a distraction.

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
You mean, LOVE LOVE LOVE to say I told you so. They bash Kane every chance they get.

It's funny, I used to really like Winnipeg and their fans. Their behavior on this board since that trade has completely changed my mind on them.

Because sabres fans don't do the same to Myers, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad