Kings News: LAKings50 Monument outside Staples unveiled (staring Dustin Brown!)

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
“@LAKingsPR: First look at #LAKings50 Monument. Too bad tonight’s public (unveil) event was cancelled due to forthcoming rain. https://t.co/BvHsprzepg

5a9aaa27397fb9f076f2501a3d3fa9e1.jpg

ffd59c4e4df090191f2b26a2e5307f30.jpg

40b748553edf95713bf18e24987d6743.jpg

“@mayorNHL: Guess who is now immortalized in a bronze sculpture (mounted on a granite wall) outside Staples? Why, yes, it’s @DustinBrown23 [emoji767] #LAKings https://t.co/LmRswoOqmi

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Glad Brown is getting recognized but that this is weird. Like, why is Doughty the only one not in bronze, and who is that right below Brown? Looks like Willie Mitchell to me.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Brown and Mitchell look good, but overall it's a bit of a mess. Why is there a giant space where Doughty is shown, but not in bronze? The blueness of the ice on the top and right just looks bad

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I'm guessing the Doughty statues wasn't done in time and they are adding it later? :confused:

Mitchell instead of Kopitar seems like an odd choice, maybe thats supposed to be Kopitar under Brown?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I ****ing love it.

That doesn't look like Mitchell to me, but I'll be at LA Live tonight for a different event, maybe I'll sneak a peek ;)

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
If it is Kopi he's missing the visor or is that too hard to make? Doesn't really look like him but it can't be Mitchell see he didn't ware an A

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Up close it looks like Shea Weber. I swear to god, in a city full of entertainers and artists, you'd think the Kings would be able to hire some people that can sculpt a likeness or cut together a pregame video that wasn't done by a high school student.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
This 50th Anniversary Monument is a gift to Los Angeles and is dedicated to all the passionate and devoted individuals who have supported the Kings either as fans, players, employees or partners. This wall of moments symbolically takes you through Kings history. The intense and creative dynamics of hockey are represented here in a sweeping fashion, along with celebrated actions that bring players, fans and families together to celebrate a legacy. An ice-like surface of both glass and granite are a backdrop to six white bronze figurative sculptures that lead into a water wall and green wall for visitors to reflect on all those thrilling moments of the past 50 years.

Various legends were selected to represent the eras of LA Kings hockey. From left to right, Rogie Vachon is laser-etched in granite mid-save, which seamlessly transitions into a sculptural Jonathan Quick and his cat-like reflexes as he stops a sure goal. Drew Doughty is also laser etched as he dishes off a pass to a five-player figurative bas-relief sculpture. Through energy, the sheer force of a slap shot flows into players celebrating hockey's ultimate goal of winning Lord Stanley's Cup. The wind up of Marcel Dionne leads to Dave Taylor driving his stick into the puck, as Rob Blake follows through with his lethal slap shot. As one's eyes move through the motion, Anze Kopitar's arms begin to raise towards Dustin Brown's iconic moment of lifting the Stanley Cup. The energy in these figures simultaneously represents hockey's grit and toughness.

The materials of bronze, granite and glass were chosen to showcase permanence, a milestone in any sports organization's history. At the east corner are the rosters, coaches, general managers and owners of each year of the Kings past etched in granite. The concept of a water wall offers fans a place for reflection on a great 50 years, and to build excitement for promising years to come.

At the base of the 12-foot high monument, key moments from the past are laser etched in granite. Beginning with the day Jack Kent Cooke signed the deal to begin the team's journey in 1966, through the Stanley Cup-winning season of 2014, these moments showcase the long and historic journey. Additionally, along the East side of the monument is an Honor Wall in which our great fans have secured the right to have their names permanently etched into granite. With a multitude of moments, images and motion, this living and breathing structure is a true celebration of 50 years of hockey in Los Angeles.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/the-la-kings-unveiled-the-50th-anniversary-monument/c-284105362

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I like the concept but not the execution. Blake is an odd choice but I guess I have forgotten his contributions to Kings history. Guess Gretz and Luc already have statues so no inclusion. Would have liked Norstrom or Palffy. McSorely? Jazz hands?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I like it for the most part. I just wish they immortalized Quick's celebration when the time ran out. That's what I saw when I burst into tears.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I like it, its not perfect, but I like it. I love that Brown is a huge part of it too , especially after the tough offseason he had.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
If it is Kopi he's missing the visor or is that too hard to make? Doesn't really look like him but it can't be Mitchell see he didn't ware an A

I think that's Kopi after scoring in game 3 of the 2012 final. When Williams does the behind bank pass off the boards to Brown and Brown sends a perfect saucer pass to Kopi.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Pretty interesting that they used real helmets and gloves and just bronzed over them lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad