Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] D Jacob Moverare signs extension with the Kings (2 years, $775k AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This has to be the first time someone got a contract extension while on waivers

Could this actually be a way to scare teams away from claiming a player?

In other words, a team may be willing to give Moverare a trial run to end the year but not extend him sight unseen for two additional years.

I know people will say “well this is just the league minimum, why would that scare anybody off?” But I’m thinking more from a roster construction standpoint and what contracts you want to take into next year’s 50-man roster.

Reactions: funky and biturbo19

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

In other words, a team may be willing to give Moverare a trial run to end the year but not extend him sight unseen for two additional years.

I know people will say “well this is just the league minimum, why would that scare anybody off?” But I’m thinking more from a roster construction standpoint and what contracts you want to take into next year’s 50-man roster.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Scare away the teams who just want to run out the clock.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Man, Moverare is having a busy day. :laugh:

Have to assume this is the Kings trying to make him a less desirable claim, with extra term commitment. Presumably this is a 1-way extension to maximize that deterrent?

Hilarious though...contextually. "Hey kid, you done so well we're going to waive you...but with a brand new contract extension! Enjoy!"

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

You may be right but we all thought the same thing about Englund getting a $1 mil/2 years/1 way deal last summer and look how that turned out.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
meh I think it’s kinda smart if you like the player and think he’ll play a role next year

Baseball teams do something similar to this too- maybe not a true extension like this but with guys they know they’re likely to DFA at some point. They’ll make the contract a little more unpalatable for other teams to absorb- I know the Sox did something like this with Franchy Cordero a couple years ago

Reactions: funky

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Blake's version of 4D chess, "Lets waive this guy nobody wants then sign him to an extension while he's waived, that will show them what a mastermind I really am, right Pierre-Luc?"

Reactions: Lt Dan

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I don't care what they do with Moverare, just someone please claim JAD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad