Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CBJ] Joonas Korpisalo and Vladislav Gavrikov for Jonathan Quick, 2023 1st Round Pick (Cond) & 2024 3rd Round Pick

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If he's interested in somewhere else, it is what it is.

LA can give him a great role, a competitive team, a family friendly environment, and competitive money and term. If that's not enough, Gav's got his mind made up and that's fine, I'm counting on LA signing 2 and 3 LHD in the offseason and hopeful Vladislav is one of them because he's fit like a glove so far.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A 1st and a 3rd is too much to pay for rentals if you're not a contender.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Not really worried about our long term contracts other than the Moore one. To this point Blake has somewhat staggered the long term contracts and the AAV averages if that makes sense. Starting next year.

We have the 2 long term guys In Fiala and Anderson. (6- 8 years)

Fiala is heavy AAV and Anderson mid AAV. Both given to younger players that will play out at least half the contract in their prime producing years. I have no issues with this.

The middle tier contracts (4 to 5) years:

I count Doughty in this one. Super heavy AAV on the downslope of a career. Only 4 years left

We have Moore’s contract with a medium AAV. He is in his peak years and he has many intangibles. The reason I don’t like this is he blocks the pipeline. It’s not like the left D pipeline that is baron for years to come. We have Vilardi, Kaliyev, Kempe, Fiala, as top 6 guys and a plethora of you talent in Kupari, Fagemo Turcotte, and others that will need spots.

Kempe - one of the best and fairest contracts in the league. In his prime. Just a beast.

Danault - 4 years left at a bit above medium AAV. Older player that brings unique intangibles. Is cast as a 2nd line center but should slide to an Elite 3rd line role hopefully in the next year as Byfield takes the second center reigns. Either way Byfield has next year on his ELC helping balance out the center position overall AAV

The rest of the contracts are 3 years or less.

Our best player hits UFA in a year. Yes he is old and slow but he continues to put up points and play a solid two way game and insulate the younger centers as he takes the hard assignments. Blake will resign him but it won’t be for the $10 million a year. Even if he takes shorter term average annual value contracts that frees up extra money to resign Byfield.

The only other person that will probably need a longer-term contract coming up will be Vilardi. I still think he takes a bridge deal, which may be in his best interest as if he keeps up his raider production he will get paid in the future. I also think goodness by field really breaks out next year. He will get a bridge deal as well at mid range AAV

Contract wise, I think Blake is in a really good position. He has lineup everything really well and I can see him offering Gavrikov the extra years as we truly have nothing in the pipeline and the guy is the exact fit we need. We have a ton of offensive players coming up that are young and skilled on the right side and you have two long-term locked in left side defensemen to pair them with Anderson and Gavrikov really takes the burden off of Blake. Trade Walker in the off-season for a Lauzen type player we are set

The only issues going forward is to sort out, goaltending and start treating off some of the extra fodder we have up front for exact needs or future picks.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It is possible for a trade to be win-win. I think all the teams involved here are pretty happy.
Most CBJ fans arent happy that it came to a point where Gavrikov and Korpisalo needed to be dealt but getting an asset with good trade value like a 1st to start looking to fill some roster holes was as good of an outcome as we could have hoped for

It’s only 1 1st round pick. Not sure where this guy gets the extra from.
I think hes including our own so 2 1st rounders this year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
These were the conditions on the picks traded:

2023 1st round pick (LAK) [Conditional]*
2024 3rd round pick (LAK)

*Conditions: If the Kings do not qualify for the 2023 playoffs, CBJ will instead receive: 2023 2nd round pick (LAK) & 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)

That's it.

Reactions: 3074326

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad