Confirmed Trade: [LAK/BUF] Erik Portillo for 2023 3rd round pick

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is GREAT from a BUF perspective to get a 3rd round pick -- especially in this year's draft -- when they were unlikely to sign him.

Good for LA as well, if they believe he's got legit NHL #2 goalie potential. They don't make that trade unless they're confident they can sign him.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The last time we got a goaltender from Buffalo... It didn't go well. But, in the end, a 22-year-old goaltender prospect fits our biggest weakness in the pipeline so refunding Buffalo their 3rd round pick is reasonable.
Ya, Ole Cal Peterson played us both. Well, we get a do over, here's to hoping it goes well this time around 👍

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Can we get Ryan Johnson from the Sabres as well. We need LHD prospects too.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Good luck Erik! Wonder if he goes back for his fourth year at Michigan?
I would maybe send Petersen to the ECHL, and then have Portillo/Villalta manning the pipes with the Ontario Reign. I think that would give Portillo good incentive to sign an entry level contract.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Giving up a 3rd for someone who wanted to explore free agency and which LA could've signed then seems a bit risky and wasteful, but there was also the risk that he'd be traded to a different team and sign with it before free agency. LA's goalie prospect pipeline is dry, so I suppose that it was a risk worth taking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad