Confirmed Trade: [LAK/BUF] Erik Portillo for 2023 3rd round pick

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I guess any time a college goalie won't sign in Buffalo the kings are interested... lol.

For real though, good pick up for them if he's willing to sign there (i am guessing he will since there's really nobody in his way there). I was really hoping buffalo could sign him but we all knew that wasn't happening after they tried to sign him last year and he refused. Then it sounds like he recently told the sabres he was going UFA so they had to trade him. A 3rd is about the best i hoped for given the circumstance. I'd have preferred to sign him but that obviously wasn't an option.

Reactions: fsanford

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would maybe send Petersen to the ECHL, and then have Portillo/Villalta manning the pipes with the Ontario Reign. I think that would give Portillo good incentive to sign an entry level contract.

an issue in signing…Portillo will want to sign and burn the first year of an ELC this year. He signs a next year contract and do an ATO in AHL he might not like.

he still can declare going pro and be a UFA in 30 days/ June 1. Then he could choose is best place.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
an issue in signing…Portillo will want to sign and burn the first year of an ELC this year. He signs a next year contract and do an ATO in AHL he might not like.

he still can declare going pro and be a UFA in 30 days/ June 1. Then he could choose is best place.
I would assume that Blake is confident in signing him before he made a trade offer

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
FWIW, the Kings traded away their own 3rd round pic, but they still have the Penguin's 2023 3rd rounder from the Carter trade.

Reactions: funky

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Good trade. They could wait and draft a goalie with that third pick or do what they did and get one closer to AHL/ NHL ready.

New team and a few tweaks and see how Portillo shakes out. I was high on him earlier in the year and then gave up following him as it didn’t seem that Blake was going to make many moves. Boy was I wrong.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting to find out he'd changed advisors and is now with Pat Brisson. I suppose that's why we got the dribble of rumors about him not signing - Brisson looking to find a landing place for his client.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Buffalo looks to be going all in on the Big Finn so getting any return on a goalie that has yet to make the league is positive. All the rankings mean little when you looking for a long term successful goalie. Just look how high everyone has been on Carter Hart especially for a couple years then there always the Hamburgler. True elite goalies are rare you do not see multiples come if out of any draft regularly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo looks to be going all in on the Big Finn so getting any return on a goalie that has yet to make the league is positive. All the rankings mean little when you looking for a long term successful goalie. Just look how high everyone has been on Carter Hart especially for a couple years then there always the Hamburgler. True elite goalies are rare you do not see multiples come if out of any draft regularly.

The issue is more that the current GM is besotted with Northeastern's Devon Levi than it means anything about Luukkonen.

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
A good trade for everyone involved. The Sabres get their 3rd round pick back instead of losing Portillo for nothing. The Kings get a sold goalie prospect that they are sorely lacking and Portillo found an almost ideal landing spot.
There is no other prospect blocking his way, in fact he could get extended NHL experience as early as next season. Also LA and the Ontario Reign have a reputation for developing goaltenders.
Therefore I would be shocked if Portillo won't sign with LA

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad