Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hes hit 40+ once over 4 seasons. Not sure he qualifies as being a 50 goal scorer when hes never hit it.

Jeez! He hit 44 at 19 YO.

He was then coached to be a different player (better, IMO). Now that he has made that transformation, the scoring will return. He might never actually hit 50, depending on the team he is on, but he has the capability. And if not that then 45 is certainly in reach.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
The major difference between you and them is that you are willing to concede when Ehlers has bad games and dont make excuse after excuse for him and call for every one to be fired and every one else to be traded and for the team to coddle him at every step. It got to a point where everything was everyone else's fault but Laine. It's hard to have any kind of constructive conversation about the team as a whole when everything is always about Laine and how to get him 50 goals.
"Laine is generational shot. 50 goal scorer if not for Wheeler and Maurice!!!"

"okay well why then hasn't he ever scored 50 or paced for 50 despite favorable conditions?"

"Managements fault!!!"

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Or we traded a streaky goal scorer who can't drive a line for a dominant Bergeron+Benn hybrid down the middle for the next decade.

Time will tell on this one, PLD beat the doubters that thought he was a huge reach at the draft.
Did I miss something? Are PLD and Scheifele signed for the next ten years?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The Winnipeggers stating they are happy to see Laine fans leave look just a dumb as the people saying the team lost it's heart with Laine's departure. When I first joined this sub-board everyone was so friendly and open. It's was one of the big reasons I got excited about the team. I guess a lot of macro politics have seeped into people over the last 2-3 years because as someone not from North America I feel a lot less welcome today than I did 5 years ago. Wish we could get back to assuming the best until proven wrong.

As a Winnipegger I have to say I've really enjoyed all the posts from our international friends, Finns very much included. There were some pretty crazy Laine boosters early on (psychodad comes to mind), but those peeps didn't stick around all that long. The people who've been posting more often over the years have been really enjoyable to read with nice analysis and great passion for hockey.

I think a lot of our Finnish friends have strong opinions, and often state them in a pretty direct way. Maybe this rubs some the wrong way, but hey... I myself don't take disagreements and head butting as some kind of problematic issue. Frankly I find all the criticism, arguing and general level of discussion here really fascinating and often enlightening. It makes this place more interesting.

If any of these guys leave the forum, there's at least one person who will miss them :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jeez! He hit 44 at 19 YO.

He was then coached to be a different player (better, IMO). Now that he has made that transformation, the scoring will return. He might never actually hit 50, depending on the team he is on, but he has the capability. And if not that then 45 is certainly in reach.

No one has the capability to hit 50 until they prove that they can get close at least once. And even then conditions shouldnt have to be perfect for them to do it.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
being a Jets fan means you cheer for the team no matter what the names are on the BACK of the jersey.

hurting when old favorite players move on, excited when nee ones join.

the minute you change because “your guy” gets traded... means you are a “playerX” fan.

“playerX fans” are not Jets fans.

Can get on board with your first two sentences but disagree with the two last ones. Being a Jets fan can be lots of things imo. You can be a casual fan that watches 20 games a season I'd still say you are a Jets fan. Imo I can be a Ehlers and Jets fan. If he was traded I'd still be a fan of the Jets, I likely just wouldn't follow as obsessively as I do now. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the team though. To me fandom is a grey scale though it's usually presented as black and white.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ah right, my apologies. I was only looking at "empty net" as in, scoring on an empty net. Wheeler's first goal (tipping Morrissey's shot) was 6-v-5 with the Jets goalie pulled, to tie the game before Ehlers won it in OT.

So he's just got 2 points 5-v-5, 1 point 6-v-5 (goalie pulled) and 1 point 5-v-6 (empty net), and 3 points on the PP, in 5 games.

I dont accept your apology. Only because there is absolutely no need for you to apologize to me. We are just having a friendly discussion here.

Cheers!

Reactions: Krauser

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Either way this thread is about Laine. I'm going to miss his personality the most as it always put a smile on my face. Hope he succeeds in Columbus and will be excited to eventually watch the Jets team tear him a new one on the ice.

Reactions: Aggie204

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I get that and more or less agree. I do however think there were a handful of Finns that would likely stay and root for the Jets if they didn't feel unwanted. Not sure how I would feel if Ehlers was traded and I kept reading thank god we won't have to deal with the Danes any more. I understand both sides and just wish there was less of a divide. Part of becoming a "true" Jets fan is also about falling in love with the community around the team imo.
It is in no way every Finnish Jets fan, but that is the key, “Jets” fan. In 6 1/2 years, I have used the ‘ignore’ option on 4 posters. No idea what nationality they were, and I don’t care, but I know what group they were part of. There are excellent fans here, from numerous countries, that are here to discuss the Jets. There were also a lot of “fans” here to discuss their hero, and chose to talk shit about damn near everyone else on the team, because they didn’t feel they were doing enough to stroke their hero. Scheifele and Wheeler are supposedly plotting to ruin his future. Little was garbage and didn’t feed him well enough. Hell, no one that played with him was good enough or did enough for him. The team could win 6-3, and certain posters would choose to trash players for not getting the puck to him, instead of talking about the win.
He is a great goal scorer, and he has the tools to be an elite player. He showed that in his one game this year. The Jets made the right decision to draft him, and he produced for them. His ability to fill the bet will be missed. Thankfully, the Jets still have Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, and Ehlers, who are legit top-6 producers, and will soon have PLD who is also one. The Jets will miss Laine, but the show will go on

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I'm sorry if this has been already asked, but did they ask Laine about his current injury in any of those interviews they made after the trade? I'd like to see his answer (and body language when he answers :laugh:). I'm hoping it is just a minor thing and not something that bothers him later on.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Can get on board with your first two sentences but disagree with the two last ones. Being a Jets fan can be lots of things imo. You can be a casual fan that watches 20 games a season I'd still say you are a Jets fan. Imo I can be a Ehlers and Jets fan. If he was traded I'd still be a fan of the Jets, I likely just wouldn't follow as obsessively as I do now. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the team though. To me fandom is a grey scale though it's usually presented as black and white.

All that tells me is your an Ehlers fan first and a Jets fan 2nd.
Which is fine. Ehlers is here.
Don’t expect me to be heartbroken if nik gets traded and you “announce the Jets are no longer good and you are leaving”

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If we will a cup because we became a more balanced team as a result with strong C depth, then it will be praised as a win with the fans & organization no matter what. Stanley Cup is an elusive trophy especially in the modern NHL and especially amongst Canadian teams

I say this as a fan of the team; I would rather have a Cup than no cup and the greatest goal scorer in NHL history

We lost the better player but I think we will look back at the season and realize we became a better team. C depth is what wins championships.

I say this as a huge Laine fan. He was my favourite Jet, he was my favourite player to watch, his name is on the lone authentic Jets jersey I have, and I got his number is on my license plate because im that much of a Laine fan

But I am a Jets fan first and I do believe this difficult choice was the right one to make. We are clouded with emotions but Chevy and co did the best thing for the team.
A correct decision by Chevy would have been to not hand out that ridiculous extension to Wheeler.
A correct decision would have been getting rid of Maurice and bring in a coach who holds the entire team accountable, instead of running his old boys vet club.
Any decisions that end up with homegrown/drafted elite talent wanting out are failures for a team that is supposed to run a draft and develop model.
I am still rooting for the Jets, but I can't wait to see Maurice gone from this team and hopefully the league. I'd like him as a talking head though, because that's what he is best at.

Reactions: HHel and Vekke

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
Just for the sake of being that guy.... We'll still be missing Buff long after we've forgotten about Laine.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
All that tells me is your an Ehlers fan first and a Jets fan 2nd.
Which is fine. Ehlers is here.
Don’t expect me to be heartbroken if nik gets traded and you “announce the Jets are no longer good and you are leaving”

I wouldn't expect any heartbrokenness from anyone... I think we just have different definitions of what being a fan of a team means. I'd go from watching every single Jets game to probably skipping some regular season games that conflict with family time. Now I watch those once I'm able to (sometimes days later). So if not watching all 82+ games per season makes me not a Jets fan then sure, I guess I'm not a Jets fan :huh:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Lol... I'll tell you all right now, life on an internet forum is much better if you can let go of the need to fight every battle and engage with every dumb post you see. It's okay for people to post dumb stuff or disagree.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No one has the capability to hit 50 until they prove that they can get close at least once. And even then conditions shouldnt have to be perfect for them to do it.

44 is pretty close, especially for a 19 YO.

I didn't say he was a 50 goal scorer. For that, of course he needs to have done it, by definition. But he has strong potential to get there. He has to be thought of in that general area when evaluating. For absolutes, we will have to wait and see.

He has scored 36 40 pace), 44, 30 and at a 34 G pace in a shortened season - actually. But some here want to think of him like a guy who once scored 30, call him a 30 goal scorer. Well if you want to be strict about it, he is a 44 G scorer.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I wouldn't expect any heartbrokenness from anyone... I think we just have different definitions of what being a fan of a team means. I'd go from watching every single Jets game to probably skipping some regular season games that conflict with family time. Now I watch those once I'm able to (sometimes days later). So if not watching all 82+ games per season makes me not a Jets fan then sure, I guess I'm not a Jets fan :huh:

I didn’t say that. I said if you leave when a player leaves then you’re a fan of that player not a Jets fan if you still cheer for the Jets you’re a Jets fan

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Numminen is a national treasure and Selanne is what he is. They brought a good deal of Finnish fans for the Jets 1.0 before Laine was born.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
44 is pretty close, especially for a 19 YO.

I didn't say he was a 50 goal scorer. For that, of course he needs to have done it, by definition. But he has strong potential to get there. He has to be thought of in that general area when evaluating. For absolutes, we will have to wait and see.

He has scored 36 40 pace), 44, 30 and at a 34 G pace in a shortened season - actually. But some here want to think of him like a guy who once scored 30, call him a 30 goal scorer. Well if you want to be strict about it, he is a 44 G scorer.

I think it's more likely he sticks in the 35 to 45 area. I cant see him getting much more favourable matchups than what he was given here. Playing more in CBJ just means he will be relied on even more to drive play and defend. 2 things he hadn't exactly been good at. Maybe Torts figures him out and gets hin to be both a driver and scorer while being responsible enough to put out to defend a lead but I'm not sure that's the player he will ever become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad