Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I agree - I think winger makes more sense at this point.
I like the idea of having another center in the mix but the problem you run into is where do you play him and for how long. Looks like top 6 c's are covered for awhile and I don't want to leave Cole in the bottom 6 too long (assuming he plays as well as we all hope) - that might become discouraging and I don't want us developing players so we can move them. That's is a reputation the Jet's will want to avoid.
It’s a great point. At this point I would shelter him in a 3LW role alongside Stastny (if you bring Perfetti up this season at all), or with Copp next season. Then move him to 3C in his second year as part of a scoring third line. Depending on how it goes, and if PLD has surpassed Scheifele as 1C, either bump him to 2LW in year 3 or consider him alternating C duties on a second line with one of PLD/Scheifele.

Agreed, you don’t want to hold him down in the bottom 6 for long, but also want to develop him. A balancing act, for sure.

Reactions: LowLefty

OldTomMorris

Nov 1, 2018
Tampere
I am just here to say this. I was a Jet fan mainly because of my childhood homeboy Patrik. Then I started to like Wheeler, Scheifele... I will say it straight: I have no more intrest in this team, the team lost its soul with Laine. Always when he was on ice or even better PP or OT. I am sorry, not watching this team anymore.

Sincerely,
a fan from Tampere, Finland

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I am just here to say this. I was a Jet fan mainly because of my childhood homeboy Patrik. Then I started to like Wheeler, Scheifele... I will say it straight: I have no more intrest in this team, the team lost its soul with Laine. Always when he was on ice or even better PP or OT. I am sorry, not watching this team anymore.

Sincerely,
While I hate to see any fan go, I feel I must say...
If you leave a “TEAM” because of 1 player, you were never a fan of the “TEAM” to begin with

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg

Sincerely,
The team didn’t lose its soul.

The soul of this team it’s it’s fanbase. The players say it all the time.

true fans through the good and bad.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The Winnipeggers stating they are happy to see Laine fans leave look just a dumb as the people saying the team lost it's heart with Laine's departure. When I first joined this sub-board everyone was so friendly and open. It's was one of the big reasons I got excited about the team. I guess a lot of macro politics have seeped into people over the last 2-3 years because as someone not from North America I feel a lot less welcome today than I did 5 years ago. Wish we could get back to assuming the best until proven wrong.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I noticed the CBJ board has a few familiar fan faces -
I wonder why they are not hanging out here anymore?

Not trying to rile up the crowd but no surprise we seem to have lost a few "Jet" fans pretty much over night
Well I've been a fan since the return of the Jets but another playoff disaster and Maurice being retained forever might strain that.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Not trying to rile up the crowd but no surprise we seem to have lost a few "Jet" fans pretty much over night
Same avatars or new ones?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Sincerely,
This reminds me a bit of people who go on Facebook to tell the world that they're deleting Facebook.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Sincerely,

thats a kind of crappy thing to say.

You won’t be missed.

good luck! Totorella will run Laine out of the NHL.

Reactions: DiggerD

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, I remember you saying that. The thing is that I don't think Laine is a 30 G W. He is closer to a 50 G W. Maybe 45. With CBJ right now, he might be lucky to get 30. They don't have the supporting cast but, OTOH, as someone else pointed out, they do have Jones and Werenski so we will see how it goes for him there.

The knock on him in the past started as "one dimensional". Then he added dimensions so it became that he doesn't drive play. Well, he sure drove play in game one. Too bad he was injured. If he had played 2-3 more games like that, the price would have been a lot better. :laugh: People are still impressed with small samples. :laugh:

But you are right, position matters.

Hes hit 40+ once over 4 seasons. Not sure he qualifies as being a 50 goal scorer when hes never hit it.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Winnipeggers stating they are happy to see Laine fans leave look just a dumb as the people saying the team lost it's heart with Laine's departure. When I first joined this sub-board everyone was so friendly and open. It's was one of the big reasons I got excited about the team. I guess a lot of macro politics have seeped into people over the last 2-3 years because as someone not from North America I feel a lot less welcome today than I did 5 years ago. Wish we could get back to assuming the best until proven wrong.
It's just a strident, vocal minority that you are hearing.
Really enjoy having you here--you are as good an ambassador as Ehlers is on the team.
We sometimes forget that we are all ambassadors here, for our city, country and team.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
If you are a Jets fan who is now announcing that you are no longer a Jets fan because they traded Laine, you were never a Jets fan you were a Laine fan pretending to be a Jets fan and you wont be missed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

You and anyone that wants to become fans of this team will always be welcome. But when you come in with the angle of I'm a fan of the team but only stan for one player and then the moment that player leaves you leave to then all the people that were calling them out as being nothing but Laine stans were right all along which just further invalidates any and all arguments they brought to the table over the last 4 years.

All fans of the Jets from around the world should feel welcome here. We have diehard fans across the globe on this forum but I say good riddance to anyone that was here just for Laine. They won't be missed and I'm glad they will be taking their bullshit to CBJs forum now where they will wear out their welcome in due time there as well.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Sincerely,
congratulations. thanks for letting us know

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
thats a kind of crappy thing to say.

You won’t be missed.

good luck! Totorella will run Laine out of the NHL.
That’s a kinda crappy thing to say. He has scored 250 pts or smtlt to Jets.

Laine has betted on himself and probably ends up winning that bet. Thinking back my favourite moment of Laine as a Jet was the hattrick against Toronto. Somehow this has a SC final game 7 OT goal @MTS Place written all over it.

Reactions: OldTomMorris

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014

Sincerely,
Laine was the “soul” of the Jets??? Give me a f’in break! He was no more the soul of the team than, Hellebuyck, Morrisey, Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Copp, Lowry........ He was a part, a cog in the machine, he wasn’t the machine. He had an elite shot, he was a great goal scorer, he wasn’t the team. He was a key piece of the power play, but so were Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor.
FFS, Gretzky was traded away from Edmonton, and there was less hyperbole. The Oilers didn’t lose their “soul”, they lost a player, and won the cup two seasons later.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

Laine has betted on himself and probably ends up winning that bet. Thinking back my favourite moment of Laine as a Jet was the hattrick against Toronto. Somehow this has a SC final game 7 OT goal @MTS Place written all over it.
There are a lot of Jets fans that a tired of people posting things like "Laine is the soul of the team". If a person suddenly decides they are not a Jets fan because the Jets traded Laine and they were not a Jets fan before they drafted Laine or were here just to pump Laine's tires and didn't really care at all about the Jets they wont be missed.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

And they're all doing the exact same thing there as they did here.
Arguing facts tooth and nail with their own anecdotes, despite being clearly wrong. Not going to miss that at all.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I personally wouldn’t trade Laine... but if he asks to be let go then fine.
I’ll miss him.

his fans? Who cares

PoMo is a cuddly kitten compared to Torts. He’ll bench Laine, he’ll scream at him for every single mistake. He’s driven star players out of towns , made players slump, benched, press boxed....
Laine is going in to be the “all situations elite forward”

he’s gonna take a lot of heat.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
You and anyone that wants to become fans of this team will always be welcome. But when you come in with the angle of I'm a fan of the team but only stan for one player and then the moment that player leaves you leave to then all the people that were calling them out as being nothing but Laine stans were right all along which just further invalidates any and all arguments they brought to the table over the last 4 years.

All fans of the Jets from around the world should feel welcome here. We have diehard fans across the globe on this forum but I say good riddance to anyone that was here just for Laine. They won't be missed and I'm glad they will be taking their bullshit to CBJs forum now where they will wear out their welcome in due time there as well.

I get that and more or less agree. I do however think there were a handful of Finns that would likely stay and root for the Jets if they didn't feel unwanted. Not sure how I would feel if Ehlers was traded and I kept reading thank god we won't have to deal with the Danes any more. I understand both sides and just wish there was less of a divide. Part of becoming a "true" Jets fan is also about falling in love with the community around the team imo.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I get that and more or less agree. I do however think there were a handful of Finns that would likely stay and root for the Jets if they didn't feel unwanted. Not sure how I would feel if Ehlers was traded and I kept reading thank god we won't have to deal with the Danes any more. I understand both sides and just wish there was less of a divide. Part of becoming a "true" Jets fan is also about falling in love with the community around the team imo.
They can blame their countrymen then, not Jets fans from all across the world.

They wore out their welcome here and they're going to do it on Columbus' board. It's been 24 hours and it's already happening there.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

being a Jets fan means you cheer for the team no matter what the names are on the BACK of the jersey.

hurting when old favorite players move on, excited when nee ones join.

the minute you change because “your guy” gets traded... means you are a “playerX” fan.

“playerX fans” are not Jets fans.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

The major difference between you and them is that you are willing to concede when Ehlers has bad games and dont make excuse after excuse for him and call for every one to be fired and every one else to be traded and for the team to coddle him at every step. It got to a point where everything was everyone else's fault but Laine. It's hard to have any kind of constructive conversation about the team as a whole when everything is always about Laine and how to get him 50 goals.

Reactions: DashingDane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad