Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Schiefele was at his best playing the transition game.

Their counter attack was scary that opponent back downs on their own. As mistakes turns into esl goal 10 seconds later

Noted this 2 years ago.
Top 5 to 7 C before.

I remember that year that Schief/Ehlers/Laine were the top of the NHL in Points/Assists/Goals. I took a screen shot of it, wish I could find it now :)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Actual real world results are far more important than obscure prediction and averages based statistic. You're literally putting the cart before the horse.

I care about the scoreboard because it directly reflects to the teams points and standings.

Your argument cares MORE about which one is on the ice for a better percentage of total shots taken, or what the distance of those shots averages.

You're simply picking the wrong thing to focus on. As long as hockey wins are based on goal differential, it doesn't matter in what fashion those wins have been accumulated.

If it was decided like figure skating on visual review of style, emphazizing the amount of shots for and against and proximity to net, then your argument would make sense. But it isn't, it's based on goals and has always been, so you're wrong to put any weight on those irrelevant stats. They don't matter, scoreboard dictates.
Yeah, you're great at predicting the outcome of games that have already happened. In terms of predicting future outcomes though you would get your ass handed to you by analytics. You not understanding how they work would not change that fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I say you play out this season and see how it goes, if the Jets don't play well then you think about making a massive trade for Laine. One thing about it is when Scheifele and Laine both got hurt in these last playoffs we had absolutely no offense, none.

It was scary what we looked like without those two. I shudder to think of a team without either one forever.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think people just read way too much into that rumoured Scheifele comment that he likes to play with Connor & Wheeler. Not a big deal, nothing wrong with that. It's always a positive thing when a player likes to play on his current line.

It's not that Scheifele said "I hate Laine" or "I don't want to play with Laine".

Totally agree. Just because you compliment your line mates doesn't mean anything sinister.

Reactions: Halberdier

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
If the discussion is not about Wheeler vs Laine, then the obvious solution should be to move the aging and overplayed Wheeler to the second line, and move Connor there while we are at it.
Ehlers-Chef-Laine and Connor-Stastny-Wheeler could squeeze out the max offense of this group.
Yes!
That would make too much sense so we'll likely see Wheeler stay where he is.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Often happens on good drafting teams, especially ones who go for BPA each draft......often they gain extordinary depth in certain positions. Jets have five top line players, four top line wingers which create a ton of competition & at times some players get impatient waiting for their time to take the top spot (which I understand). Any of our top four wingers could be the top line winger on most/many teams. Figuring out and playing these players in spots that deliver the best results for the team overall success is tough & can create a divide between team & a player.......at times that leads to a split......teams trading good players (good, not franchise) isn't uncommon due to a variety of reasons.

As been stated, hopefully things can be worked out regarding usage, linemates, contract, etc and Laine stays long term......but if it can't Chevy isn't being forced to do anything within the next three years......if Laine staying isn't in the cards long term Chevy will wait until he gets the trade he wants & improves the team overall. I assume everyone posting on the Jets board are Jets fans, not just player fans and they would want to see the team improve however it's achieved. Right?????

I absolutely want the team to do the best they can no matter what. I would just prefer they do it with Laine, because I still think he's going to light up the league for years to come, and I'd love to see it as a Jet.

As someone said above, any team willing to give up what Chevy is going to want for Laine, is planning on using him as a key player otherwise they would never give up what it's going to take. This means they plan on playing to his strengths, and that means probably one of the best goal scorers the league has seen in quite a while. It will be disheartening to watch, similar to watching Teemu for years playing somewhere else. That also makes it a marketing nightmare for Chevy.

I'm firstly a Jets fan and if we had to trade him I have to accept it, but I also really love watching him play and think he's going to be even more fun to watch in the future.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I absolutely want the team to do the best they can no matter what. As a poster & mod on this team board, I'm pleased to hear that.

I would just prefer they do it with Laine, because I still think he's going to light up the league for years to come, and I'd love to see it as a Jet. I think we can all agree, Laine has some warts, but we all know he's going to score 30-50 goals & 60-85 points per year for a long time......either with the Jets or someone else.

As someone said above, any team willing to give up what Chevy is going to want for Laine, is planning on using him as a key player otherwise they would never give up what it's going to take. Laine is already a key player on the Jets, playing the main trigger man (generally) on the PP1. Getting him the right centre to play with is the only criticism (not saying it's a easy problem to solve) I point at Chevy regarding the whole Laine debate.

This means they plan on playing to his strengths, and that means probably one of the best goal scorers the league has seen in quite a while. It will be disheartening to watch, similar to watching Teemu for years playing somewhere else. That also makes it a marketing nightmare for Chevy. Maybe, maybe not, all depends on his return if traded. Obviously if Chevy trades him without being forced by Laine/fiscal reasons and gets only 50 cents on the dollar then yes it would be a PR nightmare. If forced to trade him due to fiscal reasons, then even a reduced return becomes slightly less grevious IMO. If Laine forces a trade (see Trouba) then sorry I hold Laine largely responsible for that decision not Chevy (I would still hold Chevy lesser/partly responsible due to no 2C traded for to keep Laine more satisfied). If Chevy gets good value for Laine either way, then I have no regrets trading him b/c while he does well some where else, the return would also do very well here, plus they also serve to fill bigger needs then another big cap winger does.

I'm firstly a Jets fan and if we had to trade him I have to accept it, but I also really love watching him play and think he's going to be even more fun to watch in the future. Agreed. Best likely solution is Laine stays long term, if traded (forced or not) a bad return will be bad, a good return IMO makes it fine.

See bold above:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I absolutely want the team to do the best they can no matter what. I would just prefer they do it with Laine, because I still think he's going to light up the league for years to come, and I'd love to see it as a Jet.

As someone said above, any team willing to give up what Chevy is going to want for Laine, is planning on using him as a key player otherwise they would never give up what it's going to take. This means they plan on playing to his strengths, and that means probably one of the best goal scorers the league has seen in quite a while. It will be disheartening to watch, similar to watching Teemu for years playing somewhere else. That also makes it a marketing nightmare for Chevy.

I'm firstly a Jets fan and if we had to trade him I have to accept it, but I also really love watching him play and think he's going to be even more fun to watch in the future.

The young man is training already , looks like he wants to be even better.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The young man is training already , looks like he wants to be even better.

IMO Laine seemed to step up his training/commitment/diet last offseason which resulted in better results this past season. Hopefully he recognized that and is doing it (it, meaning stepping up his train yet again above even last offseason) again this offseason. No doubt also natural development helped, like any young player. Very interested in seeing him play an entire year with Stastny (likely Stastny, or possibly Mark). Hopefully we see Laine take another step in his development over a pretty good year this season, would be exciting.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was that the stretch when that line was shooting close to 20%?
a line with Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine i expect to shoot a high %.... 20% high, or higher than our PP? Idk about that, but higher than an average top line i think.

however, Laine's SH% has fallen off dramatically at 5v5 so unsure if they'll be able to hit those feats again. Shooting ~18% his first 2 seasons vs ~12% in his following two. his shot quantity/distance has not changed that much either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No problem with any of your points. I just want it all :) I want the Jets to win the cup and I want Laine to start lighting it up again. Hopefully with Stastny/Perfetti he will.
While you are at wanting it all can you please add in that Laine is willing to sign a fair market long term deal so we don't have to trade one of our other wingers and can continue making improvements in other areas :)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
While you are at wanting it all can you please add in that Laine is willing to sign a fair market long term deal so we don't have to trade one of our other wingers and can continue making improvements in other areas :)

Jets win, Laine improves, Laine signs a team friendly deal......The trifecta!

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad