Eklund Rumor: Laine wanting to go to ANA or LAK (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Absolute nonsense or elite level troll?

Elite level troll wouldn't have you questioning authenticity, you'd be too busy expending fumes out your ears.

Interesting to see Laine generally being so underrated though. Still, he's 7th in goals since entering the league, had 2 elite seasons by pretty much any metric (including 5v5 goal differential), 1 really bad season and 1 good season (19-20). He's still only 22 years old. Granted, hard to not feel disappointed about his career trajectory since 17-18, he looked a lock for perennial rocket contention, but I don't think people realize how young he still is, a lot of people seem to view him as past his prime. Which of course could be possible in case the rumored back issues are true and actually really severe or there's some other problem like that, but plenty of guys explode to another tier in his age range (22-25)

Reactions: Andreas Ferrari

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's just a rough spot anyway, because if you're trading for Laine, you're trading for what you think he can be, which means you have to give full value. Kings sure aren't ready to do that. I'd guess Ducks aren't either. And yet when you trade for that full value, you're also gambling on his concerns. It's a tricky trade to maneuver period, because the Jets shouldn't settle for anything less than full value, but I don't think any teams that are ready for a finisher like Laine can afford to trade the assets or have the cap.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be trading the Kings major parts--not because Laine isn't worth it, but because we don't know what we have yet anyway.

Yes, we know, no Kings prospects are going to actually make an NHL impact. You say it in every thread. Does it ever get boring copying and pasting?
To be fair suggesting that kaliyev is comparable to laine is pretty foolish too

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To be fair suggesting that kaliyev is comparable to laine is pretty foolish too

It is, but his repeated contribution to these threads is 'lol Kings suck,' not anything of actual substance.

I think the overall point is more we don't know what we have in some of these kids yet so it's stupidly preemptive to pick up a finishing piece like Laine when we don't even know for certain who is going to be feeding him the puck. It may be opening up a whole additional hole at the cost of picking up a player who may already have concerns and putting him on a worse team/situation.

It's much, much smarter for the Kings to season these prospects for a year or two and see who realistically has a shot and who doesn't. There's doubtfully a Laine-esque 40-goal scorer in the bunch, but why say never? It could be Kaliyev, could be Fagemo, for all we know it could be Byfield. Could be none! most likely. And frankly I think Laine has that 50-60+ goal level in him when he pulls his head out of his ass, so he should be a top-3 goal scorer in the league--but the Kings just flat out aren't ready for that.

Reactions: Guitpik

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
If California is out, what other options are there

Well, I hear Florida is pretty warm, but I don't know if he's interested in the Panthers and the Bolts are really having a bit of a cap crunch so both teams may not be in consideration. North California could be an option, but I don't think the Sharks are interested in trading big assets for a guy with one year left on his current deal and the next deal to sign would be a much larger amount since they already did that recently with E. Karlsson.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Well, I hear Florida is pretty warm, but I don't know if he's interested in the Panthers and the Bolts are really having a bit of a cap crunch so both teams may not be in consideration. North California could be an option, but I don't think the Sharks are interested in trading big assets for a guy with one year left on his current deal and the next deal to sign would be a much larger amount since they already did that recently with E. Karlsson.

He most probably is very interested in the Panthers, think he would sign there long-term maybe even for a team-friendly deal. Him and Sasha are BFF:s. Laine seems like a guy who runs on motivation, for better or worse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
OR (crazy idea)

You could compare Laines first 4 years as a pro with Hoffman's first four years as a pro. I don't recall laine's stint in the ECHL. Oh, and Hoffman had 4 GP in the NHL during his first 4 years as a pro. 0G, 0A, 0PTView attachment 383354
You obviously don't realize that the ENTIRE Hoffman stuff was started because it was stated that you can't get a goals order like Laine in FA.

And that has now been proven to be false with Hoffman as the example.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You obviously don't realize that the ENTIRE Hoffman stuff was started because it was stated that you can't get a goals order like Laine in FA.

Laine is considered a far better player than Hoffman isn’t he?

Reactions: Backcheckmonster3

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I have no issue with the fact that teams and fans will question which Laine they’re getting, but let’s not pretend that saying he’s equal or lesser than a 31 year old with extreme noted locker room issues, who has one 30 goal season isn’t asinine.

Keep him away from video games and you’ll get the Laine you seek.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ah so just goals count? Then I guess Sam Reinhart > Giroux? Or E Kane is > Couturier? Do you honestly believe that anyone can’t see you being biased here?
Can you at least read what is being discussed? The ENTIRE Hoffman talk started from this post:
If you want/need a goal scorer, you simply aren't going to find one as good as Laine in FA.
GOALSCORER: Laine vs FA

Hence Laine vs Hoffman....who was just a FA. Not Laine vs another 22 year old. Or Laine vs someone entering year 5 of their career. LAINE GOALS VS FA.

Understand now?

Hoffman as a FA has SCORED just like Laine and was a FA and got 4 million. Them's the facts.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

That's 4 million for a 32 year old Hoffman. Laine is 9 years younger. Imagine a fully developed, in his prime Laine. Compare HIM to Hoffman, because that's what you're trading for.

If hoffmans trajectory went from "4 games played with time in the echl" at Laine's current age to the scorer he is today, image where Laine will be in 5-7 years.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's 4 million for a 32 year old Hoffman. Laine is 9 years younger. Imagine a fully developed, in his prime Laine. Compare HIM to Hoffman, because that's what you're trading for.

If hoffmans trajectory went from "4 games played with time in the echl" at Laine's current age to the scorer he is today, image where Laine will be in 5-7 years.
Again...that was not the discussion.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
Its really too bad that Frank Seravalli started all this by including Laine in his trade bait board. I think Frank should try to be a more real broadcaster rather than fake news correspondent. After all, Frank is a Philly home boy who started all this by "perhaps" hoping that Laine could be traded to the Flyers.
Honestly- and all, maybe, joking aside. Nobody in Winnipeg and hopefully management included, wanted to get rid of a second over-all pick who luckily fell to the Jets in the lottery. My guess is that the Jets don't want to see another Selanne type player get away from them, after all, the Jets were founded by signing the Golden Jet all those years ago...goal scorers are valued more than most other positions because they sell tickets and in Winnipeg it is proven that elite goal scores put those beautiful fans in the arena pews on cold winter nights....and that folks is hockey in Jet town...the one Bobby built.
side note: Most of the prospects mentioned here are the same age as Laine is now...think about that!

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Can you at least read what is being discussed? The ENTIRE Hoffman talk started from this post:

Hence Laine vs Hoffman....who was just a FA. Not Laine vs another 22 year old. Or Laine vs someone entering year 5 of their career. LAINE GOALS VS FA.

Understand now?

Hoffman as a FA has SCORED just like Laine and was a FA and got 4 million. Them's the facts.
Hoffman has one season over 30 goals, they are not equal even in goal scoring and you know that. But this is your routine on here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Understand now?

If you're only looking for one season, absolutely.

If you're looking for a goal scorer to be a core piece if your team for awhile, Laine's the guy.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That was not the discussion....it was goals only.
Well, what else does Laine contribute to winning other than scoring? If Hoffman scores at a similar rate, then maybe the comparison has some validity? Excepting their ages, of course.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hoffman has one season over 30 goals, they are not equal even in goal scoring and you know that. But this is your routine on here.
And he has 3 with 29 or more. Point is?

Not sure why you can't accept that:

Hoffman had more goals than Laine last year
Hoffman had more goals than Laine 2 years ago

I am just stating facts that a FA goal scorer was available this offseason who scored like Laine. And it cost ST.L 4 million and 1 year. For any acquiring team of Laine the cost is good assets to get him AND the next contract where he will want 9 million +. That's a hefty price to get dinged twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany