Speculation: Laine to Carolina - 3 Questions

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's 19 and scored twenty even strength goals with third line minutes.

Maybe we could give him a second before we decide if his potential is top twenty or top five.

It's July. :dunno:

I have no problem having a discussion about a player's potential in the future. After all, the "F" in HF stands for future so it's an apt discussion, particularly at this time of the year when not much else is going on.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I have no problem having a discussion about a player's potential in the future. After all, the "F" in HF stands for future so it's an apt discussion, particularly at this time of the year when not much else is going on.

Yes. You are certainly free to discuss it. And I'm free to tell you that you're a very silly person.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes. You are certainly free to discuss it. And I'm free to tell you that you're a very silly person.

Yes, you are certainly very free to do that if it makes you feel better, but that in itself is pretty silly. Another option is you could just not get involved in discussions you think are silly. Seems like that approach might be more reasonable.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yes, you are certainly very free to do that if it makes you feel better, but that in itself is pretty silly. Another option is you could just not get involved in discussions you think are silly. Seems like that approach might be more reasonable.

So wait, are you seriously mad that I asserted that it was too soon to decide the kid's upside at age 19? Like, you think that's actually unreasonable?

Ok.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So wait, are you seriously mad that I asserted that it was too soon to decide the kid's upside at age 19? Like, you think that's actually unreasonable?

Ok.

:laugh: Oh C'mon Hank. I'm not mad.

I just think there's nothing wrong or silly discussing upside potential of players, even now, particularly when there isn't much else going on. Discussing players potential, even newly drafted guys, goes on in spades across HF boards. It's a pretty common discussion topic on these boards. Heck, every board is doing a "prospect ranking" where posters are making an assessment of how much upside a guy has and ranking them accordingly.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assert that it's too early to tell for sure, but that's why these are just projections. What I think is unreasonable is you trying to dictate to others what should be discussed and shouldn't, which is basically what your post was doing.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
:laugh: Oh C'mon Hank. I'm not mad.

I just think there's nothing wrong or silly discussing upside potential of players, even now, particularly when there isn't much else going on. Discussing players potential, even newly drafted guys, goes on in spades across HF boards. It's a pretty common discussion topic on these boards. Heck, every board is doing a "prospect ranking" where posters are making an assessment of how much upside a guy has and ranking them accordingly.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assert that it's too early to tell for sure, but that's why these are just projections. What I think is unreasonable is you trying to dictate to others what should be discussed and shouldn't, which is basically what your post was doing.

Noooo....

The first post was disagreeing with your post. As in, stating my own opinion.

The second post was a Monty Python joke.

Christ.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Noooo....

The first post was disagreeing with your post. As in, stating my own opinion.

The second post was a Monty Python joke.

Christ.

I read the first post which you said: "Maybe we could give him a second before we decide if his potential is top twenty or top five" in the vain of "why are we discussing this now, lets wait til he has more time." If that wasn't your intent, I apologize, but that was the reason for my response as it was.

As for the Monty Python joke, I wouldn't have gotten that as I'm not a fan (runs for cover).

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I read the first post which you said: "Maybe we could give him a second before we decide if his potential is top twenty or top five" in the vain of "why are we discussing this now, lets wait til he has more time." If that wasn't your intent, I apologize, but that was the reason for my response as it was.

As for the Monty Python joke, I wouldn't have gotten that as I'm not a fan (ducks for cover).

Looks like Boom Boom came in here for an argument, Hank. Not abuse. [/Flying circus]

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
You two are some silly geese

upload_2019-7-15_18-30-59.gif

Reactions: WreckingCrew

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Looks like the fighting has died down, so I'm here to toss another log on the fire. Since I'm a lumberjack, that's OK.

If we (and by we, I mean I) consider Svech to be the second coming of Marian Hossa, we could use Hossa's career as a guide. Hossa was a 6-foot-1, 207 lb., left shot, right wing, who scored 525 goals and 1134 points in 1309 NHL games. I'd take that and be a crazy-happy old man in 18 years.

Hossa had single-season goal totals of: 45, 43, 40, 39 and 36, all but one of which was in a four-year span from his ages 24, 25, 27 and 28 seasons (his age 26 season was lost to a lockout). His three "lead-up" seasons produced goal totals of 29, 32 and 31 (ages 21, 22, 23).

In 18 excellent season, Hossa finished second in Calder voting, and was a second-team All-Star once. He got Hart Trophy votes five times, finishing as high as 10th twice. He got a bunch of Lady Byng votes and was a regular in the Selke Trophy voting, but never got close to winning either. His 89 points in 110 playoff games are impressive, as are his five trips to the Stanley Cup Final (winning three Cups).

So I think what I'm saying, is that Svechnikov could end up having Hall of Fame credentials and never be considered one of the five best players in the game. It's tricky, but it's possible.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Looks like the fighting has died down, so I'm here to toss another log on the fire. Since I'm a lumberjack, that's OK.

If we (and by we, I mean I) consider Svech to be the second coming of Marian Hossa, we could use Hossa's career as a guide. Hossa was a 6-foot-1, 207 lb., left shot, right wing, who scored 525 goals and 1134 points in 1309 NHL games. I'd take that and be a crazy-happy old man in 18 years.

Hossa had single-season goal totals of: 45, 43, 40, 39 and 36, all but one of which was in a four-year span from his ages 24, 25, 27 and 28 seasons (his age 26 season was lost to a lockout). His three "lead-up" seasons produced goal totals of 29, 32 and 31 (ages 21, 22, 23).

In 18 excellent season, Hossa finished second in Calder voting, and was a second-team All-Star once. He got Hart Trophy votes five times, finishing as high as 10th twice. He got a bunch of Lady Byng votes and was a regular in the Selke Trophy voting, but never got close to winning either. His 89 points in 110 playoff games are impressive, as are his five trips to the Stanley Cup Final (winning three Cups).

So I think what I'm saying, is that Svechnikov could end up having Hall of Fame credentials and never be considered one of the five best players in the game. It's tricky, but it's possible.

There's a lot of examples of things like this though. Mark Recchi was a second team All-Star once. Ron Francis never made an end of year All-Star team, and actually only played in the All-Star game itself 4 times. Both were no-doubt first ballot HOFers.

I like the Hossa comparison the best because I agree with you that he is Svech's best comparable, but they induct 4 players into the Hall of Fame every single year. Not all of them crack the top 5 in the league in their career.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
There's a lot of examples of things like this though. Mark Recchi was a second team All-Star once. Ron Francis never made an end of year All-Star team, and actually only played in the All-Star game itself 4 times. Both were no-doubt first ballot HOFers.

I like the Hossa comparison the best because I agree with you that he is Svech's best comparable, but they induct 4 players into the Hall of Fame every single year. Not all of them crack the top 5 in the league in their career.
Ok guys, what about that: here it comes, only for you, only cause it is so hot: Svech will be the best forward of the game in 5 years;;;;))) )

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I always assumed the "F" stood for something else

436AD409-738D-4858-9FDC-1FE303C792C9.jpeg

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
As prospect, Svech was hyped for his two way game, goalscoring touch, playmaking ability and size. Imo thats full package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad