Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
If there are 2 or 3 veteran players who are determining what the team culture is and bullying the rest of the team into compliance, those veterans may be the cancer. Especially if they are talking to friends outside of the locker room. Don't air your problems outside the team. If there are personality clashes, don't use the media to punish players you are having a problem with. This speaks more to the character of the team culture than Laine if true.

I also see how Laine's quiet, sardonic, dry sense of humor might irritate some.
Why are you assuming it is veteran players that have a problem with Laine?

for all we know it could be his best buddy Ehlers....I mean they don’t seem to hang out much anymore :sarcasm:

it could be younger players that see the effort that Laine is putting in versus the effort that his teammates are putting in.

quit trying to always blame the veterans for other peoples short comings.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Why do you think it is one of our leaders talking about Laine?

I stated this before- strictly conjecture based upon Ladds presence on the Islanders dressing room and his close relationship with Wheeler. Do you know other Islanders who have close relationships with Jets ?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If there are 2 or 3 veteran players who are determining what the team culture is and bullying the rest of the team into compliance, those veterans may be the cancer. Especially if they are talking to friends outside of the locker room. Don't air your problems outside the team. If there are personality clashes, don't use the media to punish players you are having a problem with. This speaks more to the character of the team culture than Laine if true.

I also see how Laine's quiet, sardonic, dry sense of humor might irritate some.

- We have no clue if it's true.

- We have no clue who perhaps spoke, it doesn't say......it just says multi players......doesn't say vets.

- No evidence of anyone bully anyone into any culture. But all teams have a culture, just like most workplaces do......you either fit into it or likely have to leave for the greater good.

- Your adding a lot of your thoughts to the quote/rumour which weren't stated.

Reactions: weslox

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I stated this before- strictly conjecture based upon Ladds presence on the Islanders dressing room and his close relationship with Wheeler. Do you know other Islanders who have close relationships with Jets ?
Except Ladd doesn't play for the Islanders he plays for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the AHL. That is in Connecticut not Long Island. He would have only passing contact with the players in the Islanders room and certainly wouldn't carry sway with what they believe.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The whole thing is shoot first ask questions later.
Whenever something is reported regardless of the media , there’s is this immediate reaction to choose sides based on personal biases, truth be damned.
Too many times a position is taken without investigation or consideration on who is reporting it or why.
It’s why we are so divided as Jets fans on this issue and as a society on other issues.
We’ve already made up our minds.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I know several Jets that have a relationship with Ladd. Chatting about work stuff doesn't even have to happen only between close friends.

The idea this is only Wheeler talking to Ladd is part of it, if the rumours are true. It is likely to be multiple players. Again, if true. There's also the possibility of players having played together in junior or st tournaments together - I don't have a relationship tree to determine those links though.

Reactions: KingBogo

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Except Ladd doesn't play for the Islanders he plays for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the AHL. That is in Connecticut not Long Island. He would have only passing contact with the players in the Islanders room and certainly wouldn't carry sway with what they believe.

Sorry, you`re trying too hard again. This article clearly came out after the playoffs this year , with reference to trade talk surrounding Laine. Ladd was on the Islanders roster for the playoffs and was with the team fully through the games in the bubbles at Toronto and then Edmonton. Not just passing contact.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know several Jets that have a relationship with Ladd. Chatting about work stuff doesn't even have to happen only between close friends.

The idea this is only Wheeler talking to Ladd is part of it, if the rumours are true. It is likely to be multiple players. Again, if true. There's also the possibility of players having played together in junior or st tournaments together - I don't have a relationship tree to determine those links though.
I look at a hockey team like any other organization. Rarely does gossip come from the leadership team or from those that play important roles. The vast majority of the time it comes from people on the fringes who wish they had more. Gossip is an attempt to pull down others to make yourself look better or important. Those at the top rarely engage in it as it is unproductive to bigger goals that they are usually heavily invested in.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry, you`re trying too hard again. This article clearly came out after the playoffs this year , with reference to trade talk surrounding Laine. Ladd was on the Islanders roster for the playoffs and was with the team fully through the games in the bubbles at Toronto and then Edmonton. Not just passing contact.
And you think Ladd who is trying to hang on to a NHL career going into the playoffs against a team that isn't the Jets with no chance of playing the Jets is going to bring up Laine as a talking point? Do you think any of his team mates think this is worth discussing at this point in time? He played 1 game in the playoffs and was mostly a Black Ace outside of the room. And you think I'm trying too hard? Try x 10 for yourself and then add to that.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
And you think Ladd who is trying to hang on to a NHL career going into the playoffs against a team that isn't the Jets with no chance of playing the Jets is going to bring up Laine as a talking point? Do you think any of his team mates think this is worth discussing at this point in time? He played 1 game in the playoffs and was mostly a Black Ace outside of the room. And you think I'm trying too hard? Try x 10 for yourself and then add to that.

I responded to your false assertion that Ladd didn`t have opportunity to say whatever he wanted to his Islander teammates. He did. And I surely don`t think we can constructively talk about what might have been on Ladds mind or what might have motivated him. You are getting agitated by this conversation and I think it best we simply end it here. I apologize for using an off-hand reference to "trying too hard" - my bad.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I responded to your false assertion that Ladd didn`t have opportunity to say whatever he wanted to his Islander teammates. He did. And I surely don`t think we can constructively talk about what might have been on Ladds mind or what might have motivated him. You are getting agitated by this conversation and I think it best we simply end it here. I apologize for using an off-hand reference to "trying too hard" - my bad.
I wouldn't say agitated, but maybe annoyed. I have an expertise in group dynamics in terms of education and a long work history in senior management, and it would be very unusual for gossip to come from a leadership group as it usually comes from those on the fringe that want to look important by having inside information.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Yeah, Jets have poor leadership. Wheeler should be stripped of the C. He's a bully and a bad captain etc.

sddefault.jpg

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah, Jets have poor leadership. Wheeler should be stripped of the C. He's a bully and a bad captain etc.

sddefault.jpg

Ben Eager. Legend. Amazing hands. So smooth.

I'm not arguing either side just pointing out the absurdity of basing your entire opinion on a single isolated event.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say agitated, but maybe annoyed. I have an expertise in group dynamics in terms of education and a long work history in senior management, and it would be very unusual for gossip to come from a leadership group as it usually comes from those on the fringe that want to look important by having inside information.

Well Wheeler is the type that has always spoke his mind infront of cameras so I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty blunt and direct behind closed doors. He has already said to the media that a number of the young players need to have their hands held. If he is willing to say that to the media then I wouldn't doubt he could have said something to Ladd as well.

I don't know if Wheeler or anyone said anything to someone but I am not going to rule anyone out. Ladd is the obvious contact point but it could have been someone else on the roster.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well Wheeler is the type that has always spoke his mind infront of cameras so I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty blunt and direct behind closed doors. He has already said to the media that a number of the young players need to have their hands held. If he is willing to say that to the media then I wouldn't doubt he could have said something to Ladd as well.

I don't know if Wheeler or anyone said anything to someone but I am not going to rule anyone out. Ladd is the obvious contact point but it could have been someone else on the roster.
This is so much unfair speculation that you would usually call out in other circumstances.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is so much unfair speculation that you would usually call out in other circumstances.

What is unfair about it, he did that interview where he threw the younger players on the team under a bus with his comment? I never said he did it, as mentioned it could have been others or other Islanders who had said had other Jet player contacts. All I am saying is that he shouldn't be ruled out because he is a team leader. He has shown that he will be direct if asked a question.

Reactions: GigaChad and DeWho

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What is unfair about it, he did that interview where he threw the younger players on the team under a bus with his comment? I never said he did it, as mentioned it could have been others or other Islanders who had said had other Jet player contacts. All I am saying is that he shouldn't be ruled out because he is a team leader. He has shown that he will be direct if asked a question.
Wheeler being the main source of team gossip is the least likely source from a normal group dynamics perspective unless you believe he has a personality disorder. Him calling out players in public would suggest he is willing to own opinions not hide them. Laine having a reputation as not all in guy is a big time slight on Wheeler as a captain and something he is much more likely to work hard to cover up and work on improving from the inside rather than advertise. Players who are most likely to gossip are those not in the inner circle, but see enough to have an informed opinion. Players who really haven't made it but can appear important because of what they know. I.E fringe players. The most currency would be with Finnish players on the edge of the Jets lineup as this would be much bigger news among other Finnish players as speculation among NA players would be a lot less because they wouldn't really care as much.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The whole thing is shoot first ask questions later.
Whenever something is reported regardless of the media , there’s is this immediate reaction to choose sides based on personal biases, truth be damned.
Too many times a position is taken without investigation or consideration on who is reporting it or why.
It’s why we are so divided as Jets fans on this issue and as a society on other issues.
We’ve already made up our minds.
This is so true , good post. :thumbu:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Ben Eager. Legend. Amazing hands. So smooth.

I'm not arguing either side just pointing out the absurdity of basing your entire opinion on a single isolated event.

Nice try but that false equivalency instantly discredits any weak point you were trying to make. Major swing and a miss.
It's anything but "isolated" or "absurd".

What's "absurd" is the constant Wheeler bashing that is in this thread and dozens of other ones theorizing that he's "gossiping across the league". Gimme a ****ing break.

There's not a GM in the league that thinks Wheeler is a bad leader but he's constantly getting accused of it on here and blamed for lots of Laine's bad habits

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wheeler being the main source of team gossip is the least likely source from a normal group dynamics perspective unless you believe he has a personality disorder. Him calling out players in public would suggest he is willing to own opinions not hide them. Laine having a reputation as not all in guy is a big time slight on Wheeler as a captain and something he is much more likely to work hard to cover up and work on improving from the inside rather than advertise. Players who are most likely to gossip are those not in the inner circle, but see enough to have an informed opinion. Players who really haven't made it but can appear important because of what they know. I.E fringe players. The most currency would be with Finnish players on the edge of the Jets lineup as this would be much bigger news among other Finnish players as speculation among NA players would be a lot less because they wouldn't really care as much.

You very well could be right, but don't you think you are speculating a bit as well by believing it may be the fringe players? For instance you think it might be the on the bubble finish players but if you look at the Islanders roster there is no player of Finish origin on the team. In Fact the vast majority of the roster composition is North American. If the rumors are true I would expect it came from players on our roster who match the Islander player demographic.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad